Electronic Ear Muffs

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Electronic Ear Muffs

Post by Guliver » 22 Oct 2013, 11:18 am

Just joined our local Pistol club and I'm looking for recommendations for electronic ear muffs under about $100.

I am completely ignorant about all things to do with shooting, I used to shoot with Dad as a kid and back then we never worried, times have changed what should I buy.

TIA Guliver
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Electronic Ear Muffs

Post by agentzero » 22 Oct 2013, 11:33 am

I did a little research into this a while ago. Ended up going with regular ear muffs but can share one lesson learnt...

Regarding your budget, I found a lot of the price was for lower profile ear muffs or leather or something.

e.g.

The Caldwell e-max electronic earmuffs have a 25db NRR and are $50

The Caldwell platinum series G3 electronic Earmuffs have a 21db NRR but are $110.

$60 more for less noise reduction, just because they're coloured black as far as I can tell?

In short, more money doesn't always equal more noise reduction.
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Guliver » 22 Oct 2013, 11:53 am

Thanks for the reply, I was looking at electronic as my hearing isn't the greatest (used to run sound production for bands :() I find I miss a lot when wearing ordinary ear muffs and thought the electronic muffs might help.

I haven't tried them though hence the post asking for opinions .

Guliver
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supporter » 22 Oct 2013, 12:13 pm

Howard Leight make some nice low profile ones which are ≈ $100
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by iwaslike » 22 Oct 2013, 12:20 pm

Not to highjack the topic, but are fancy ear muffs needed for pistol?

Surely pistol is quieter than most rifle shooting - $15 pair of Bunning EM's wouldn't do the trick?
Sauer S101 Classic .308
iwaslike
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by tucked » 22 Oct 2013, 12:40 pm

Peltor 'Push-To-Listen' ones are about $70 for 26db reduction.

I think that's about the most reduction you're going to get without spending quite a bit more.
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 22 Oct 2013, 12:43 pm

Guliver wrote:I find I miss a lot when wearing ordinary ear muffs and thought the electronic muffs might help.

That's sort of the idea.

Quoting from the Caldwell ones here -

The improved circuitry amplifies sounds below 85 dB so you don't miss a range command, and shuts out sounds above 85 dB to protect your hearing.

I don't use them myself, but sounds like it might be right up your alley.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 22 Oct 2013, 2:08 pm

The improved circuitry amplifies sounds below 85 dB so you don't miss a range command, and shuts out sounds above 85 dB to protect your hearing.

Now that I didn't know.

Thought it was only fancy noise reduction. Not amplification of regular chat level stuff...

Going to have to look into a pair of these myself.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Guliver » 22 Oct 2013, 3:30 pm

iwaslike wrote:Not to highjack the topic, but are fancy ear muffs needed for pistol?

Surely pistol is quieter than most rifle shooting - $15 pair of Bunning EM's wouldn't do the trick?

These are for shooting at the club with 6 or 7 other people standing close by doing the same thing, the area is under cover surround by concrete walls and floor, it is very loud.

agentzero wrote:The Caldwell e-max electronic earmuffs have a 25db NRR and are $50

I managed to find the low profile version on ebay for for about US$35 posted :o A little less attenuation 23db.
Other places on the web were up to A$85.
Thanks agentzero read some reviews and they seem to score above 4 out of 5.
Guliver
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 22 Oct 2013, 7:46 pm

Guliver wrote:
iwaslike wrote:Not to highjack the topic, but are fancy ear muffs needed for pistol?

These are for shooting at the club with 6 or 7 other people standing close by doing the same thing, the area is under cover surround by concrete walls and floor, it is very loud.

agentzero wrote:The Caldwell e-max electronic earmuffs have a 25db NRR and are $50

I managed to find the low profile version on ebay for for about US$35 posted :o A little less attenuation 23db.
Other places on the web were up to A$85.
Thanks agentzero read some reviews and they seem to score above 4 out of 5.
Guliver

A pistol range can be worse than a rifle range.

I have a pair of low profile ones, they aren't much chop on a pistol range as they leak a bit when you have safeties on as well. The Ozito ones from Bunnings seem to be better(that is what I use now) and have more tension and thicker cushions that take up a bit of the slack caused by the intrusion of glasses.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by agentzero » 22 Oct 2013, 9:34 pm

Guliver wrote:Thanks agentzero read some reviews and they seem to score above 4 out of 5.

Any time.
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment