Where do you buy your accessories?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Where do you buy your accessories?

Post by Wylie27 » 26 May 2015, 7:54 am

hi all,

I have been looking for accessories online and at my LGS's and have come to the conclusion that the Australia Tax is well and truly alive.

The question to me is where do you all buy your accessories? Do you have a favourite online store? Do you prefer your LGS?

I was looking for scopes and bloods and doing the Aussie mark up is 70 to 100% compared to overseas.

Yes there are warranty concerns buying overseas and that needs to come into consideration.

Do you go overseas of support the local stores?

Jase
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Where do you buy your accessories?

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 May 2015, 12:41 pm

Most accessories, reloading gear etc i get from the two local stores near me, but sometimes you just can't justify the price difference.
Perfect example was a bipod. I got one for $25 and its a good sturdy bipod. I couldn't get close to matching that locally.
Shot show can also be good for accessories. I picked up s couple of slings for $10 each at the shot show, comfy, too, and haven't failed me yet.
Scope rings i would suggest buying locally, you don't wanna risk getting something sub quality that allows the scope to shift.
Scopes can be a bit of a risk. If I bought a scope online, I'd wanna be damned sure i'm not getting a cheap chinese knockoff.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ebr love » 26 May 2015, 3:33 pm

My local Magnum Sports as they've always been helpful.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 26 May 2015, 5:52 pm

Mostly my LGS but I have 3 all about the same distance from me but one of them is the best for ammo, internet for used is good.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 26 May 2015, 6:15 pm

Paying 10% more for stuff with a good buying experience and follow up customer service is well worth it I have recently learned.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Wylie27 » 26 May 2015, 6:45 pm

I love to support local, but I am looking at a bipod and scope. The price on the interwebs is 50% cheaper and they will ship to Australia.

My other hobby is RC cars and it's the same there. Prices can be reasonable or outrageous.

Thanks for the ideas guys
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 26 May 2015, 7:07 pm

Big ticket items such as rifles and scopes come from Magnums or occasionally HPGS depend on who has stock, while not local Magnums are on the way home from work while HPGS isn't too far away.

Rings, I generally buy direct from Barrett in the U.S of A though have been using Nightforce and ERA-Tec bases sourced locally.

General bits and pieces, HPGS, Magnums, Q-Store for Berger, Delta Tactical for bipods, Midway Australia on eBay (friend and not far from home), HSS

A few links and names to get you started, I've dealt with all these businesses and never had cause for complaint.

http://magnumsports.com.au/ - Andrew, Michael, Scotty & Brayden

http://www.hpgs.com.au/ - Ryan & Greg

http://q-store.com.au/

http://www.deltatactical.com.au/ - Danny

http://stores.ebay.com.au/midwayaustralia?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 - Zhen

http://www.hss.net.au/

http://interdiction.com.au/ - Aaron

http://www.farmservices.com.au/pages.php?pageid=15&mode=preview - Matt
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Turtleburp » 26 May 2015, 7:51 pm

ebr love wrote:My local Magnum Sports as they've always been helpful.

Dealt with them online and was impressed - apologized for not posting a scope to me the afternoon they received it but did it the next AM premium post. :thumbsup:
Turtleburp
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by North East » 26 May 2015, 8:22 pm

Always use my LGS....never from overseas. I don't care if I have to pay more. They will get anything in for me, great service and warranties....never have to use them though. Support local.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by CustomPC » 27 May 2015, 2:41 pm

I try to use the stores within Sydney metro where i can.

I've shopped at Magnum Sports, Safari, HPGS and St Marys Indoor and had good service from all of them.

The biggest hurdle i have is finding the items i want. They never seem to have the one item i went there to buy in the first place so it's invariably a decision to either order it in, find one elsewhere or buy something similar.
CustomPC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Boatman » 27 May 2015, 4:20 pm

I'll take good service over saving a couple of bucks. That's what earns my loyalty.

I'll support the local guys as long as they're not a pain to deal with.
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 27 May 2015, 4:55 pm

I would prefer to use local and if there is a small/reasonable difference I will use them. If the Local shop is just taking the pee then we'll no I won't use them.

Magnum is my local and they have been awesome..

Thanks for the tips on the other shops. Google isn't always so kind with search results :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by CustomPC » 29 May 2015, 11:10 am

Another local on-line store that gives excellent service for reloading gear if you're more accuracy oriented is brtshooterssupply.com.au

If you call to ask questions the staff are friendly and knowledgeable and delivery is quick.
CustomPC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 29 May 2015, 11:24 am

CustomPC wrote:Another local on-line store that gives excellent service for reloading gear if you're more accuracy oriented is brtshooterssupply.com.au

If you call to ask questions the staff are friendly and knowledgeable and delivery is quick.

+1 for BRT

I just bought a bullet puller die and all the collets I needed. Price was great and stopped me bothering to buy from OS for sure. Dispatched within 24 hours !
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by jake84 » 29 May 2015, 11:53 am

Magnum Sports they have been awesome for me here in Sydney .
i brought one of there well built aluminium rifle cases must say finally something that’s well built .
i was going to Horsley drive gun shop though i much prefer magnum sports enough said
jake84
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 30 May 2015, 6:14 pm

One of my locals has a bad name for customer service. I bought a couple of firearms a few years back and still have a bad taste in my mouth and the staff always give me the impression that they would prefer to be somewhere else!. All over the difference between advertised prices and prices charged and the lame excuses to go with it.

Actually, last Thursday I went into a LGS and the bloke (owner, I think) was too busy bullshirting to some bloke re deer shooting than to acknowledge me, The other bloke was on the phone to a customer, waited until he hung up and told him, rather off-hand to see what I wanted. I was only after a red dot sight, so I went and spent my 350 bucks elsewhere.

Sorry, but am still trying to get just a little bit of confidence in the LGS's....

So, clothing - RIVERS, 9camo pants, $10.) Webbing, etc Airsoftfighting (excellent service and gear) Ammo, Gold Coast Reloads..
Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 31 May 2015, 2:45 am

I have had many successful over seas orders in the past. My number has come up to have a PITA one it seems.
Graf & Sons = fantastic. Garson from customer service/sales actually communicates like a human. Had a joke about Brownells and a stuffed up order, he offered to call them on my behalf and did !! They refused to do it even though he quoted the request as per my own to them and my order details.

Now that is going above and beyond expected service !!! by Graf & Sons . :drinks:

Brownells/Sinclaire International on the other hand....staffed by failed alcoholic circus monkeys on a Friday I suspect.

Long story short. Large order checked out. Items I really don't need right now ended up as back order.
Requested the dies for 22 Hornet be removed.
Later on got a reply saying they were in stock and being processed. I say no thank you, please remove them.
I called them in the US and they confirmed in writing the items were removed as requested.

I checked the subsequent order details in my account.... I clutched my hand in the shape of a pistol and pointed it to my temple :x morons!!!

Order Status Information

•Order Number: xxxxxxxx.00
•Order Date: 05/28/2015
•Order Type: DEALER

LEE COLLET DIES 22 HORNET 1 1 0 0 0 $30.49 ORDER IN PROCESS
Requested to be removed.
LEE COLLET DIES 22/250 REM 1 1 0 0 0 $30.49 ORDER IN PROCESS
LEE COLLET DIES 243 WIN 1 1 0 0 0 $30.49 ORDER IN PROCESS
LEE COLLET DIES 30/06 1 1 0 0 0 $30.49 ORDER IN PROCESS
LEE COLLET DIES 30/30 WIN 1 1 0 0 0 $30.49 ORDER IN PROCESS
CROSS BOLT DIE LOCK 12 PACK 1 1 0 0 0 $39.99 ORDER IN PROCESS
CO-AX SHORT PRESS HANDLE 1 1 0 0 0 $21.99 ORDER IN PROCESS
FORSTER SEATER DIE, 17 REM 1 1 0 0 0 $51.49 ORDER IN PROCESS
FORSTER SEATER DIE, 22 HORNET 1 1 0 0 0 $51.49 ORDER IN PROCESS
Requested to be removed.
FORSTER ULTRA BULLET SEATER, 243 WIN 1 1 0 0 0 $71.99 ORDER IN PROCESS
FORSTER ULTRA BULLET SEATER, 270 WIN 1 1 0 0 0 $71.99 ORDER IN PROCESS
FORSTER ULTRA BULLET SEATER, 22-250 RE 1 1 0 0 0 $71.99 ORDER IN PROCESS
REDDING POWDER MEASURE 3BR/UNIV CHAMBR 1 1 0 0 0 $153.99 ORDER IN PROCESS
FORSTER ADAPTOR PLATE FOR CO-AX PRESS 1 1 0 0 0 $18.49
ORDER IN PROCESS

" Niesje Licht <Niesje.Licht@brownells.com>
5:42 AM
Thank you, we have canceled both items from your order.

Thanks,
Niesje "

Good news I thought.

Until I checked what changes were made...

Order Status Information
⦁ Order Number: xxxxxxxx.00
⦁ Order Date: 05/28/2015
⦁ Order Type: DEALER

LEE COLLET DIES 30/30 WIN 1 1 0 0 0 $30.49 ORDER IN PROCESS WRONG
LEE COLLET DIES 22/250 REM 1 1 0 0 0 $30.49 ORDER IN PROCESS CORRECT
CROSS BOLT DIE LOCK 12 PACK 1 1 0 0 0 $39.99 ORDER IN PROCESS WRONG
FORSTER ULTRA BULLET SEATER, 22-250 RE 1 1 0 0 0 $71.99 ORDER IN PROCESS WRONG
LEE COLLET DIES 243 WIN 1 1 0 0 0 $30.49 ORDER IN PROCESS WRONG
CO-AX SHORT PRESS HANDLE 1 1 0 0 0 $21.99 ORDER IN PROCESS WRONG
CO-AX SHORT PRESS HANDLE 1 1 0 0 0 $21.99 ORDER IN PROCESS CORRECT
FORSTER SEATER DIE, 17 REM 1 1 0 0 0 $51.49 ORDER IN PROCESS CORRECT
REDDING POWDER MEASURE 3BR/UNIV CHAMBR 1 1 0 0 0 $153.99 ORDER IN PROCESS WRONG
FORSTER ULTRA BULLET SEATER, 243 WIN 1 1 0 0 0 $71.99 ORDER IN PROCESS CORRECT
FORSTER ULTRA BULLET SEATER, 270 WIN 1 1 0 0 0 $71.99 ORDER IN PROCESS CORRECT
LEE COLLET DIES 22/250 REM 1 1 0 0 0 $30.49 ORDER IN PROCESS WRONG
FORSTER ADAPTOR PLATE FOR CO-AX PRESS 1 1 0 0 0 $18.49 ORDER IN PROCESS WRONG
LEE COLLET DIES 30/06 1 1 0 0 0 $30.49 ORDER IN PROCESS WRONG

The part numbers on most of the items now don't line up with the item description or price. The 22 Hornet dies are still in the order as far as I can tell. I cross checked all stock numbers and the order is a total mess :lol:

Pay peanuts - get monkeys !
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bluerob » 31 May 2015, 8:44 am

I recently had an experience with Voldy.

Now I'm scarred for life, as in, you'll never get my coin again.

I thought advertising stuff and taking your money and then saying "sorry, not in stock" was a breach of trading laws?
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 31 May 2015, 9:46 am

bluerob wrote:I recently had an experience with Voldy.

I thought advertising stuff and taking your money and then saying "sorry, not in stock" was a breach of trading laws?

Imagine how may crappy stories are out there across the country. :unknown:
Last edited by KWhorenet on 01 Jun 2015, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bluerob » 31 May 2015, 10:47 am

KWhorenet wrote:
bluerob wrote:I recently had an experience with Voldy.

Imagine how may crappy stories are out there across the country. Imagine if all banded together and all chip in $20 to fund an action :unknown:

Or if we all put $1,000 in, we could start our own Voldy Mart?

Just ammo sales, reloading gear and the basics.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 May 2015, 2:04 pm

I tend not to buy too much these days (got enough s**t now I don't really need or use) :lol: but I try and buy local and if not I source it either OS or interstate if need be.

To be honest the only things I really buy these days are Consumables for reloading - don't need anything else to do the type of shooting I do. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Franky » 31 May 2015, 7:40 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

don't need anything else to do the type of shooting I do :thumbsup:

What Missing? :thumbsup:
A wise man told me once, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 01 Jun 2015, 7:01 pm

Franky wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

don't need anything else to do the type of shooting I do :thumbsup:

What Missing? :thumbsup:

More guns :thumbsup:
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Releb » 02 Jun 2015, 11:57 am

buyalltheguns.jpg
buyalltheguns.jpg (20.17 KiB) Viewed 5978 times

;) :mrgreen:
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bones-350 » 22 Nov 2016, 7:27 am

I bought all my Dies and Case Prep Gear from an Australian Distributor.
Check out http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/ copy and paste it in your browser it's like going in to a major gun shop.
It's a husband and wife online site both Are world Bench Rest Champions.
They sell Top Shelf Equipment which you will hand down to your Kids and Grand Kids.
I came across them surfing the net and they are very helpful be it by, email and reply the next day, or phone and tour questions are answered fully.
The gear they sell is mostly stainless steel and made in the USA.
It's a shooters paradise and you will spend hours on the site I researched in googled and checked out youtube before I bought equipment.
Give them a try got nuffin to lose I learnt a lot from it.
Marlin.22lr, Marlin17 hmr, Marlin.22wmr, Weatherby action Krieger.223rem, Howa action,Krieger 243w, Ruger 7mm.RM, Rem30.06 & Adler
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 22 Nov 2016, 8:14 am

eBay 98% of the time.

And I wouldn't call it Australia tax. There's certainly a bit of that, but a lot of it is the old monopoly mentality. Buy cheap from eBay and don't feel guilty about putting your LGS out of business. Unless your LGS is either as cheap or adds value.

Few months ago I rang a shop in Melbourne and asked if they would match a price on a rifle, from another interstate store in sunny QLD. $300 difference!

The response was amazing. I was told that the shop I asked to be matched is horrible, and that they sell at tiny profit margins and that they won't match it or budge what so ever and that they (QLD) make no money at all and on and on he went. So of course I ordered from QLD and ended up saving $200 overall.

There's a lesson here. Stop being a greedy c*nt, sell at reasonable prices and you will do a lot better than well.

Simply put, the days of paper catalogues and junk mail are over. I can search for the cheapest price around Australia or the world for that matter in seconds. And I bet as more and more internet savvy (aka gen Y, X, and so on) take up this sport we may very well see a lot of shops going out of business due to their old greedy business strategy and inability to compete.

What that retarded store person fail to realise is that I have internet and I can see prices. I truly don't care how they feel or what profit margins they have. Compete, evolve or go the way of the Dodo.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 22 Nov 2016, 11:02 am

A bit harsh on the LGS young fella, many of them have very little or no control over their pricing. Having seen the wholesale price list from the distributers most shops make a margin of %10 on firearms and 15-20% on accessories which isn't much compared to a more traditional retail business. The business in QLD with the cheap prices, direct imports and by passes the local importer / distributer which may have implications if warranty is required so keep that in mind. Good to see Brownell's having an Australian presence now as they can get a lot of the little fiddly bits others refuse to sell. I like to shop around online if I'm in no great rush but sometimes convenience is worth paying a little extra for.

Law of business
"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey. It is unwise to pay too much, but it is also unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot... It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin (1819-1900)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 22 Nov 2016, 12:18 pm

Pretty much my local, i like to have a feel of what i'm buying, but the odd occasion i do get something online its usually just off ebay
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Rifle realist » 22 Nov 2016, 3:19 pm

+1 with Brett's John Ruskin quote, also small businesses are like muscles "if you don't use them, they disappear."
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Nov 2016, 7:19 pm

50/50. LGS and online. But that applies to most things I buy.
I simply look for value for money. Prices are all over the place. You really do need to know your prices snd shop around these days.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment