Show-Us-Ya Jap TASCO's

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Show-Us-Ya Jap TASCO's

Post by KWhorenet » 02 Jun 2015, 5:45 am

Got my first Jap Tasco scope with a recent rifle purchase. Just a basic Silver Antler ? 4X40 duplex reticle with the unusual 'tv screen' modified view through the lens. Basically some of the lens is blacked out top and bottom giving the illusion of 'Wide Angle View'.

I know Scott is addicted to these high-end master pieces of precision and flawless crystal clear glass as he even tried to buy this one from me. Right at this point I knew I had something worth looking into...cof pun intended :geek:

Anyhow, been on the look out since and wouldn't mind a few more versions like the Titan or Euro-Class Jap made (Hakko plant) old Tasco's
for my 22lr, 22H, 17 Rem etc etc.

Here's the old tv wide view through mine;
Tasco Antler 4x40 wide view.jpg
Tasco Antler 4x40 wide view.jpg (137.89 KiB) Viewed 7891 times

A couple of vintage Tasco patches I've 'picked' just because
vintage tasco patch deer in reticle.jpg
vintage tasco patch deer in reticle.jpg (41.86 KiB) Viewed 7891 times

vintage Tasco Titan patch.jpg
vintage Tasco Titan patch.jpg (4.5 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: Show-Us-Ya Jap TASCO's

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2015, 11:35 am

Jap Tascos - 4x40 on the Brno Mod 2 and 6x40 Savage Mk2 HB

The kids poking bunny heads on sticks for practice (ranges from 50-80m)

And the results of the practice.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 02 Jun 2015, 11:49 am

Good to see the girls starting out young.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 02 Jun 2015, 11:54 am

bigfellascott wrote:Jap Tascos - 4x40 on the Brno Mod 2 and 6x40 Savage Mk2 HB

The kids poking bunny heads on sticks for practice (ranges from 50-80m)

And the results of the practice.

That's a nice looking rifle - timber looks beautiful!

I've got a Model 1, but had to replace the stock with another walnut one. Been polishing it, but, nothing like your one.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2015, 1:39 pm

Cheers mate, she never looked like that when I bought it new 30yrs or so ago, it had some bloody horrible brown stain on it back then, so I just decided one day to sand it all back and see what was underneath, I saw the pattern and though well that's a lot nicer so then I decided to put some oil on it and see how it reacted to that and it made it look fantastic so I continued putting oil on it (I think I used vegetable oil or something like that (it wasn't some special "Gun type oil" it was just basically what I had laying around the house, anyway as you can see it came up a treat and I finished it off with a tinted wax from memory, which really just made it that much nicer again.

The wood is Beech I believe.
Last edited by bigfellascott on 06 Jun 2015, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by David Brown » 02 Jun 2015, 10:39 pm

I have some Tascos for sale, father in laws stock of things that my wife is liquidating. Both her folks are going down hill from Cancer and her mum has not long left, so any funds raised will be appreciated by them.

As soon as I have ay other items available I will put them in the classifieds, but for now, check your PM's.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wobble » 04 Jun 2015, 10:58 am

Being assured of getting a Japanese one seems to be the trick.

Over the last 15 years or so they've been made in Taiwai, Korea, America and the Phillipines that I've seen. Probably more places too.

I believe at one point they were just badging scopes from differences sources too so that two of "the same" scope varied greatly in quality.

No bad Japanese made ones you fellas reckon though?
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 04 Jun 2015, 11:08 am

I picked one up yesterday for $50
Japan model DS4x40WA, as per the metal stamped details under the bell. Not a sticker, proper model and specs plus place of manufacture.

Was on the desk at a dealership I went to pick up a rifle at. Picked iy up, looked through it, clear as, good nick, discretely saw it was Jap, asked him if it was? He couldn't say...paid the price of a ChingaPhiliWanese version ;)
Attachments
2015-06-06_08.14.56.jpg
2015-06-06_08.14.56.jpg (96 KiB) Viewed 7800 times
Last edited by KWhorenet on 06 Jun 2015, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jun 2015, 12:59 pm

Wobble wrote:Being assured of getting a Japanese one seems to be the trick.

Over the last 15 years or so they've been made in Taiwai, Korea, America and the Phillipines that I've seen. Probably more places too.

I believe at one point they were just badging scopes from differences sources too so that two of "the same" scope varied greatly in quality.

No bad Japanese made ones you fellas reckon though?

Yeah try and stick with the Jap ones in the lower mag range and you should find a decent scope for the $$$

The model No. and place of manufacture seems to be like a printed thing and is usually in black on the underside of the Ocular and is hard to see unless you know to look for it. (all my Jap tascos are like that anyway) :thumbsup:

From my understanding Tasco don't actually manufacture scopes or anything as such, its was a trading company and sourced products from diff manufacturers (not unlike a lot of diff scope brands you see out there today - basically they go to a manufacturer and ask for XYZ get their label banged on it and wallah - we are now a scope co.

As with anything you can get a cheap version made, right through to an expensive version made, I think the top of the Line Tasco was their TITAN range (Jap made not the version that is put out today) it was designed to complete with the Euro scopes of the day but I think people struggled to get past the Cheap tag that was place on Tascos so they never sold as well as they perhaps should have.

I've got a Philippines made Tasco which compares very well to other scopes in the clarity department, what lets it down is the spongy turrets, not unlike the Redfields in that department either, other than that is a perfectly usable scope for hunting type situations.

Chinese Tascos are ****** (newer ones may be ok but the older stuff was pretty ordinary from my own experience with them and I honestly wouldn't waste my money on one again.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SendIt » 04 Jun 2015, 3:54 pm

Wobble wrote:I believe at one point they were just badging scopes from differences sources too so that two of "the same" scope varied greatly in quality.

Pretty standard business practice, at least in the past.

People won't put up with that so much these days I don't think. They wanna know who/what/where/when it was made and will shop around for the better option/
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jun 2015, 4:04 pm

SendIt wrote:
Wobble wrote:I believe at one point they were just badging scopes from differences sources too so that two of "the same" scope varied greatly in quality.

Pretty standard business practice, at least in the past.

People won't put up with that so much these days I don't think. They wanna know who/what/where/when it was made and will shop around for the better option/

It still happens today mate, a lot of scope manufacturing is farmed out to other scope manufacturers when production runs need some help to keep up, Even some of the Euro scopes have been known to source their lenses from the same place as the Jap ones.

There are only a few Scope Manufacturers in the world that make their own lenses and most are sourced from a few places in Japan and other Asian Countries even the computer programmes they use to design their scopes are the same from my understanding (theres only a few companies that make those too so you can bet the internals are more or less the same too. :D

Tasco is now owned by Bushnell by the way. :thumbsup:

Japan light Optical Works does a lot of the scopes from my understanding or supplies lenses for a lot of em as do no doubt others

http://www.light-op.co.jp/english/

http://www.light-op.co.jp/english/?page_id=20

As with anything you can get diff quality depending on what your requirements are - ie price point and profit margin - they can build high end stuff and cheaper stuff, you just tell em what you want basically.

I don't believe Nikon make scopes either, pretty sure they use companies like this to manufacture their range and I reckon you could be your left nut most of em are doing the same thing, ie get the scope designed to their specs and price range and then have their names banged on em, I reckon if you went to a lot of these places that make scopes you'll find so many diff brands being made in the same factory. :thumbsup:

Even you can get them to make a scope to your specs (obviously not just one) but you could be a scope "manufacturer" if you wanted :D I'm serious!! all you need is the $$$ and it can happen.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bourt » 05 Jun 2015, 11:08 am

SendIt wrote:People won't put up with that so much these days I don't think. They wanna know who/what/where/when it was made and will shop around for the better option/

More people maybe. There is always someone who just wants to spend bottom dollar.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 06 Jun 2015, 12:31 am

I have a old tv wide view but the name is "Mark" 6x40 made in Japan, does anyone know about them?
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2015, 8:10 am

Got a pic of it mate, wouldn't surprise me if it came out of the same factory as the Tasco.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 06 Jun 2015, 9:07 am

is that photo I added of the eye piece data stamping coming up ok? My rubbish speed net isn't loading moat things.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2015, 11:16 am

Yeah mate its fine, I can read it ok. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 06 Jun 2015, 12:10 pm

Reserved this spot...Titan to come ;)
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jun 2015, 1:47 pm

Look forward to seeing what you think of them.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 06 Jun 2015, 2:03 pm

If I get another scope I need another gun. Easy fixed :P
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by rsj223 » 08 Jun 2015, 12:45 am

bigfellascott wrote:Got a pic of it mate, wouldn't surprise me if it came out of the same factory as the Tasco.

Will try get some up soon.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 08 Jun 2015, 11:32 pm

rsj223 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Got a pic of it mate, wouldn't surprise me if it came out of the same factory as the Tasco.

Will try get some up soon.

It looks like a well built scope and clear.
Attachments
20150608_005250 - Copy.jpg
20150608_005250 - Copy.jpg (99.62 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
20150608_005220 - Copy.jpg
20150608_005220 - Copy.jpg (124.47 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
20150608_005144 - Copy.jpg
20150608_005144 - Copy.jpg (97.89 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
20150608_004955 - Copy.jpg
20150608_004955 - Copy.jpg (109.29 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by North East » 08 Jun 2015, 11:39 pm

Tacso scopes just make me nervous.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jun 2015, 12:19 am

Looks good to me mate, so long as you can see what you want to shoot and its reliable I couldn't care less where it was built, they've just got to work to me, It wouldn't surprise me if it was made in the same factory as a lot of the Jap scopes back then :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RDobber » 09 Jun 2015, 12:02 pm

North East wrote:Tacso scopes just make me nervous.

Bad experience(s)?
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment