What's Your Favourite Gun OIl/Lube?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

What's Your Favourite Gun OIl/Lube?

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2015, 9:52 pm

I've got a few I use - Lanox, Inox and G96 - they all get used for the same reasons, rust prevention and lubing etc, all seem to work well from my experience with using em.

Love the smell of G96 and don't mind the smell of the Lanox either (foxes should like that one) :D

So what do you use and why?
Last edited by bigfellascott on 03 Jun 2015, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: What's Your Favourite Gun OIl/Lube?

Post by North East » 02 Jun 2015, 10:03 pm

I just use Hoppes No. 9. I know it's not a specific lubricant but it still does the job. I've got heap left....and nothing has ever rusted. They are hunting rifles.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 02 Jun 2015, 10:16 pm

I use brunox spray.
I was going to get ballistol, but the LGS I went to didn't stock it, so ended up with the brunox.
Seems to be good stuff, the remoil I was using wasn't great, I was getting a little surface rust on the .22, even with regular cleaning.
The brunox seemed to stop that from happening.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 02 Jun 2015, 11:06 pm

break free CLP been using it for 20 years plus i scored a 5lt from the ADF :lol:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2015, 11:32 pm

deye243 wrote:break free CLP been using it for 20 years plus i scored a 5lt from the ADF :lol:

That's a bargain mate :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by joker » 03 Jun 2015, 9:55 am

Is this the lanox use are talking about?

http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/ ... 00G/100171

so do you usually just sprayer on the outside of you firearm after using it and just wipe the excess? Also does it have any affect if you get some on a synthetic stock or wood?

Cheers joker
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jun 2015, 10:34 am

Yeah that's the stuff mate, I just spray some on a rag and wipe the whole rifle down and then put some on patches and do the bore, then when I'm next out going for a shot I just patch the bore with some metho or shelite to remove the oily residue (we don't want a bulged barrel hey) seems fine on wooden stocks - don't own plastic stocks so not sure how it goes on them but wouldn't think it would be an issue. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by lole » 03 Jun 2015, 1:26 pm

Lanox and Boretech.

Can't see much of a difference one way or the other as I've used them, they both do the job as good as the other.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by joker » 03 Jun 2015, 1:40 pm

Sweet :D

I guess I'll be buying a can of it when i pick up my .22 ;)

I get the part with putting the lanox on the rag and cleaning the bore, but a tad confused with why use of metho and shelite before you use the gun next time :s.
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jun 2015, 1:46 pm

joker wrote:Sweet :D

I guess I'll be buying a can of it when i pick up my .22 ;)

I get the part with putting the lanox on the rag and cleaning the bore, but a tad confused with why use of metho and shelite before you use the gun next time :s.

If you leave oil in the barrel you run the chance of bulging the barrel (not a good idea) hence the use of shellite or metho to remove it (they evaporate) that way the bore is free of any unnecessary contaminates.

Just run a patch through with the metho or shellite and patch it out until the patch is dry - then it should be safe to shoot.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by joker » 03 Jun 2015, 2:15 pm

Not a good idea at all. Talk about being pissed off it happened lol

I don't meant to keep repeating but just wanted to clarify this to ensure that i got the right idea:
- when you finish using the gun run a rag with lanox on the outside, inside of the bore and bolt (pretty much everything besidesthe stock
- next time you go to use the firearm run a couple of patch of metho or shelite through the inside of the barrel and then just run dry rags until it's dry

So is that process correct ?

Thanks
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by joker » 03 Jun 2015, 2:34 pm

The joy of starting a new hobby. So much to learn lol. But I'll get their slowly
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jun 2015, 2:52 pm

joker wrote:Not a good idea at all. Talk about being pissed off it happened lol

I don't meant to keep repeating but just wanted to clarify this to ensure that i got the right idea:
- when you finish using the gun run a rag with lanox on the outside, inside of the bore and bolt (pretty much everything besidesthe stock
- next time you go to use the firearm run a couple of patch of metho or shelite through the inside of the barrel and then just run dry rags until it's dry

So is that process correct ?

Thanks

Yeah mate that's pretty much it, all you are trying to do is put a coat of oil on the metal parts to protect from corrosion, remove the oil from the bore before you shoot it next time and you should be fine. :thumbsup:

P.S. you can wipe it on stocks too (I've been doing it for a long time now without any issues).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by joker » 03 Jun 2015, 3:25 pm

Sweet. I can't wait to get my .22. I feel like a kid when Christmas is just around the corner :D

By the way you usually wipe the oil off the outside like the barrel, bolt, trigger and the rest of it ?

Thanks every one :)
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jun 2015, 3:37 pm

joker wrote:Sweet. I can't wait to get my .22. I feel like a kid when Christmas is just around the corner :D

By the way you usually wipe the oil off the outside like the barrel, bolt, trigger and the rest of it ?

Thanks every one :)

Generally I don't bother too much (might give it a wipe over if I'm going into dusty type places) but generally I just leave it on to be honest. Oh yeah don't get any on your scope lenses (hence the use of a rag) :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by joker » 03 Jun 2015, 4:22 pm

I'll note that one down lol.

Might just keep a bottle of windex near by just in case hhahaha :D
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jun 2015, 4:29 pm

Yep windex works fine.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Norton » 04 Jun 2015, 3:23 pm

bigfellascott wrote:If you leave oil in the barrel you run the chance of bulging the barrel (not a good idea) hence the use of shellite or metho to remove it (they evaporate) that way the bore is free of any unnecessary contaminates.

There are a couple of spectacular videos turning barrels into octopuses. Some theorizing going around but mostly put down to debris, residue build up from lack of cleaning or too much oil/grease from cleaning.

Check out this one Joker/all, wouldn't this wake you up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkz_Zuo8g0U
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jun 2015, 3:30 pm

You'd have think he had some sort of debris in the barrel hey.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 04 Jun 2015, 3:52 pm

Probably an unnoticed barrel obstruction. Always pays to put electrical tape over the muzzle and simply shooting it off.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 05 Jun 2015, 11:06 am

Looks like it.

It's hard to tell from just the video and a bit of guessing here but it does look like it splits due to an obstruction at the muzzle, not something located deeper into the barrel.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jun 2015, 1:37 pm

Like the idea of usung lanox. I have often wondered about animals smelling various oils we use. We often go to a lot of trouble using cammo, trying to walk into the wind and even trying to reduce our smell and then put some smelly oil on the rifle, and Im sure this would give us away. I will be switching to lanolin based oils pronto. :clap:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2015, 2:50 pm

Yeah I often wondered the same, Lanox just smells like sheep! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jun 2015, 2:56 pm

Yeh, made of lanolin
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2015, 4:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Yeh, made of lanolin

Yeah mate hence the name - good stuff, been using it for quite a few years now (got sick of being ripped off by the "Gun Oil" BS which half the bloody time wasn't as good anyway and upto 3 times the price for the bloody privilege. :thumbsdown:

If she's good enough for Saltwater applications she's sure as hell good enough to keep the rust etc away from firearms hey.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 1290 » 05 Jun 2015, 5:28 pm

I like Eds Red... with lanolin, makes your hands smell niiiiice, and its moisturising for them too :thumbsup:

Else, for plain old oiling, light machine oil works :unknown:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jun 2015, 5:41 pm

Yep, have been using eds red and normal lubricating oil where needed eg on moving parts. But eds red in particular stinks. In future I think I will us lanox as much as I can
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 05 Jun 2015, 11:12 pm

Magnalube G grease for the bolt lugs and Inox MX3 for everything else. I also use Kroil for some cleaning duties as well.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 07 Jun 2015, 11:29 am

Oldbloke wrote:Yep, have been using eds red and normal lubricating oil where needed eg on moving parts. But eds red in particular stinks. In future I think I will us lanox as much as I can

Stinks? did you forget the lovely sheep smelling additive?

For anyone who want to give it a go; its the modern version of the old Frankford Arsenal product with Kerosine, Acetone, Turpentine, Dexron II/III at a 1:1:1:1 ratio. Optional is the Lanoline (pure/anhydrous) about 100 or 120g per litre of mix....

You'll need a double boiler arrangement to liquify the lanoline, then mix up and keep sealed in a glass or other wise chemical proof bottle/container so the various components dont evaporate off. may need to give it a shake before use if the mix settles. The only thing it doesnt remove is copper, but I find little fouling as it keeps the bore quite clean.

Bonus recipe: D#**@$^ type case lube, I think its been mentioned here, but it is said be be :unknown: composed of something resembling a mix of isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and lanolin... ration of 1:10 to 1:12...... :thumbsup: IPA 99%(anhydrous) lanolin again anhydrous which mean basically no water in it.... IPA 99% you can find at bunnings but you'll pay about 8 to 10x what you'll pay in a tool supply / chem supply joint :thumbsup:

Lanotec distribute the lanolin, its called the 'Type A grease'.... in a little bucket, it also moisturises the face after shaving*

Any questions?

*no it doesnt.... but you're welcome to give it a go :lol:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by joker » 07 Jun 2015, 11:56 am

Norton wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:If you leave oil in the barrel you run the chance of bulging the barrel (not a good idea) hence the use of shellite or metho to remove it (they evaporate) that way the bore is free of any unnecessary contaminates.

There are a couple of spectacular videos turning barrels into octopuses. Some theorizing going around but mostly put down to debris, residue build up from lack of cleaning or too much oil/grease from cleaning.

Check out this one Joker/all, wouldn't this wake you up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkz_Zuo8g0U

DAM!!!!!! i guess a simple 5 second check of the barrel could of saved that man alot of headache and $$$$$, lucky his alright though.

do any of you usually tape the barrel tip when you store your firearm and if your travelling in the bush with it? or just leave it uncovered ? (just just trying to get more information on what north east mentioned)
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment