Safes - Digital vs Key vs Mechanical Combo

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Safes - Digital vs Key vs Mechanical Combo

Post by adam » 23 Jun 2015, 2:00 pm

Hi Guys,

I was just after some thoughts on the different safe types out there. I'm aware I can buy ones with keys, with mechanical combinations, or with digital combination locks.

Digital combinations seem the most convenient, but the other types (seem) to have proved themselves with over a century of time to iron out the flaws...

I like the idea of digital .Easy to access. No need to hide a key in another place. Can easily change the combo if required. (Going to let family have access to them whilst I'm away, or misses ends up letting her license lapse), etc...

But then I wonder about the security aspect. I'm aware that some have a emergency key entry which seems like a good idea, but on the contrary doesn't this just increase the possibility of a flaw. (Two areas for thieves to target)?

Is there anything important to know between the three different types? What are your preferences?

Cheers

Adam
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Safes - Digital vs Key vs Mechanical Combo

Post by Baldrick314 » 23 Jun 2015, 3:42 pm

I had a digital safe fail on me. The battery leaked and ruined the connection shorting the electronics. It would have been fine if the override key hadn't stuffed up to. The lock was broken and I'd never tried it before.

Long story short I had to drill holes in a 6mm thick safe to get in the back and unhook the hinges. Not fun.

Other than that electric locks are fine :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jun 2015, 4:42 pm

I'd rather a key operated safe myself, less stuff that can go wrong with em, I just keep the key on me so I don't worry about all that hiding stuff, I know where it is all the time, the wife's licensed too and so are the kids (not that they have any real interest in going near the firearms unless I'm with em)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 23 Jun 2015, 5:03 pm

Old fashioned key safes for me, digital is fine for hotel rooms but not for firearms in my opinion. Many of the digital combo type safes have an over ride key of the round variety, these types of locks can be picked in under a minute using a PaperMate pen. The big safes from Lok Away have a key override hidden behind the keypad in the event of a failure. Another brand has a little red button on the hinged side of the door you can press to set the code whilst the door is open, problem is you can use a piece of laminated paper to trip the button whist the safe is locked, set a code then open the safe.
It all comes back to a physical key at some point so you may as well do away with the gimmick electronic locks and use the old school key from the beginning.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 23 Jun 2015, 5:51 pm

I was thinking of getting a bigger safe and thought about getting a combo type because mine has those big old looking keys (like the one's used on jail doors) that are to big for my pocket but was told the combo one's are not the best.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Jun 2015, 5:56 pm

When they start using digital combo locks on gaol cell doors I'll start using them, till then I'll live with a key :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jun 2015, 6:02 pm

rsj223 wrote:I was thinking of getting a bigger safe and thought about getting a combo type because mine has those big old looking keys (like the one's used on jail doors) that are to big for my pocket but was told the combo one's are not the best.

Get bigger pockets then mate :lol: :sarcasm: My keys are like that and I don't have any dramas with em in my pockets, maybe hang em around ya neck then?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jun 2015, 6:02 pm

brett1868 wrote:When they start using digital combo locks on gaol cell doors I'll start using them, till then I'll live with a key :)

:lol: good point mate :lol: I like that!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by simmo » 23 Jun 2015, 9:22 pm

Look to anything by Lokaway...Aussie made and a great high quality products.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by adam » 23 Jun 2015, 9:41 pm

rsj223 wrote:I was thinking of getting a bigger safe and thought about getting a combo type because mine has those big old looking keys (like the one's used on jail doors) that are to big for my pocket but was told the combo one's are not the best.

When you say combo, are you talking digital or mechanical. (Or both)?
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 23 Jun 2015, 10:38 pm

adam wrote:

When you say combo, are you talking digital or mechanical. (Or both)?

Digital
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by adam » 23 Jun 2015, 10:50 pm

OK - thanks.

So it appears as though either Key or mechanical combination would be the better option.

Most seem to be preferring keys. Just wondering if there's a reason for this?
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Jun 2015, 11:08 pm

I have a nice looking spika safe with keypad entry and a backup key, it's great to just walk up and punch in a few numbers to pop it open.

BUT I don't think for one second that it is as secure as a key only or a key / dial combination safe especially when you remove the keypad to gain access to the key hole or battery and see 4 wires heading through the front to what is probably just a double acting solinoid. ...... I sure hope there is more to it than that.

If I could have found a classy looking safe with key and turn dial entry I would have bought one.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jun 2015, 11:22 pm

adam wrote:OK - thanks.

So it appears as though either Key or mechanical combination would be the better option.

For me its about reliability, I'm not fussed on Chinese Electronics (that's where the majority seem to be made) I don't think I would handle it too well if I rolled up to get a rifle out and found the electronics or battery had crapped itself, I'd rather bypass all the potential for disaster and just use a key, just ain't worth the hassle to me.

Each to their own of course :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 23 Jun 2015, 11:30 pm

Many of the digital type keypad style safes are easily opened, search "digital safe cracking" on youtube. One particular well known brand can be opened in under a minute. I personally think keys are faster as I can walk up insert key turn then open instead of fumbling through 7 buttons before turning the handle to open. My 3 main safes are all just key operated though I do have a cheap Lookwood safe under the bench as a temp ammo store if I need to leave the bench for lunch or deal with the wife. I don't leave anything on the bench in the open if I'm not physically present even if it's just to hit the head I still lock stuff away. The only benefit I can see in digital locks is there's no key to lose, carry or worry about.
Next safe will be an old school rotary combo job like banks use...

And as an FYI...when they advertise "30 Gun Capacity" they really mean 15 :) Bit like fuel economy figures quoted by car makers...it may be possible, just not in the real world :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jun 2015, 11:55 pm

brett1868 wrote:

Many of the digital type keypad style safes are easily opened, search "digital safe cracking" on youtube. One particular well known brand can be opened in under a minute. I personally think keys are faster as I can walk up insert key turn then open instead of fumbling through 7 buttons before turning the handle to open. My 3 main safes are all just key operated though I do have a cheap Lookwood safe under the bench as a temp ammo store if I need to leave the bench for lunch or deal with the wife. I don't leave anything on the bench in the open if I'm not physically present even if it's just to hit the head I still lock stuff away. The only benefit I can see in digital locks is there's no key to lose, carry or worry about.
Next safe will be an old school rotary combo job like banks use...

And as an FYI...when they advertise "30 Gun Capacity" they really mean 15 :) Bit like fuel economy figures quoted by car makers...it may be possible, just not in the real world :)

Bloody oath, this gun capacity is just crap, you might have half a chance if none had scopes ect but even then I think they are pushing the bulls**t limit :lol: like you Brett when I see a "Capacity Limit" I just halve it and then you are usually close to being right.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by adam » 24 Jun 2015, 8:42 am

Thanks guys, but I think I didn't make my last question clear. :)

What I mean is that most people appear to choose key safe over tumbler combination locks. (I'm ignoring the electronic locks now - I've seen enough to turn me off those completely).

Is there any reason you guys prefer a key over a tumbler lock?
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jun 2015, 10:09 am

Probably cheaper and more common I'd say is the reason for the preference to key operated safes.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 24 Jun 2015, 10:16 am

Is there any reason you guys prefer a key over a tumbler lock?

Keys are faster / easier, also the cost of a quality rotary combination lock isn't worth the expense involved for many manufacturers.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 30 Jun 2015, 9:52 am

brett1868 wrote:And as an FYI...when they advertise "30 Gun Capacity" they really mean 15 :) Bit like fuel economy figures quoted by car makers...it may be possible, just not in the real world :)

30 capacity*

*As installed by the world tetris champion.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Jun 2015, 11:50 am

I use only key safes. Reliable, no batteries to worry about, safer and quicker and more common than tumblers.

And yes, i always halve the capacity. My 18 gun will comfortably hold ten.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by adam » 30 Jun 2015, 2:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess it's like tents then. 3 man tent - yeah right!

Keys seem to make the most sense then. I like the idea of combos because there's no keys to consider, loose, etc - but in the end I can appreciate the views being put forward. Thank you!
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pajamatime » 30 Jun 2015, 3:31 pm

My safe requires 1 dial combination and 2 different keys altogether to open it and I modified it with a alarm system that goes off shortly after the door is opened unless deactivated with a remote upon entry.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wobble » 02 Jul 2015, 10:43 am

pajamatime wrote:My safe requires 1 dial combination and 2 different keys altogether to open it and I modified it with a alarm system that goes off shortly after the door is opened unless deactivated with a remote upon entry.

How many firearms you storing?

(if you don't mind me asking)
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by pajamatime » 02 Jul 2015, 11:03 am

Wobble wrote:
pajamatime wrote:My safe requires 1 dial combination and 2 different keys altogether to open it and I modified it with a alarm system that goes off shortly after the door is opened unless deactivated with a remote upon entry.

How many firearms you storing?

(if you don't mind me asking)

I don't want to come across as being rude but for security reasons I don't usually tell people too much info unless I know them. :silent:
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 02 Jul 2015, 11:12 am

The capacity rating that's been mentioned a few times here is a real PITA, as I recently discovered with 2 x rifles fitted with GRS stocks and scopes. I can get 3 into a 10 designated safe and just enough room for the dehumidifier. Now I need another 10 gun safe to hold 3 rifles I'm thinking of.

I could've gone for a huge safe, but, mine are hidden from sight and I'd like to keep it that way.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 06 Jul 2015, 11:55 am

pajamatime wrote:I don't want to come across as being rude but for security reasons I don't usually tell people too much info unless I know them. :silent:

No offence taken, mate. I completely understand.

Was just curious what you were storing to feel the need for such a heavy setup.

:friends:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment