Safes - Digital vs Key vs Mechanical Combo

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Safes - Digital vs Key vs Mechanical Combo

Post by brett1868 » 24 Jun 2015, 10:16 am

Is there any reason you guys prefer a key over a tumbler lock?

Keys are faster / easier, also the cost of a quality rotary combination lock isn't worth the expense involved for many manufacturers.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 30 Jun 2015, 9:52 am

brett1868 wrote:And as an FYI...when they advertise "30 Gun Capacity" they really mean 15 :) Bit like fuel economy figures quoted by car makers...it may be possible, just not in the real world :)

30 capacity*

*As installed by the world tetris champion.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Jun 2015, 11:50 am

I use only key safes. Reliable, no batteries to worry about, safer and quicker and more common than tumblers.

And yes, i always halve the capacity. My 18 gun will comfortably hold ten.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by adam » 30 Jun 2015, 2:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess it's like tents then. 3 man tent - yeah right!

Keys seem to make the most sense then. I like the idea of combos because there's no keys to consider, loose, etc - but in the end I can appreciate the views being put forward. Thank you!
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pajamatime » 30 Jun 2015, 3:31 pm

My safe requires 1 dial combination and 2 different keys altogether to open it and I modified it with a alarm system that goes off shortly after the door is opened unless deactivated with a remote upon entry.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wobble » 02 Jul 2015, 10:43 am

pajamatime wrote:My safe requires 1 dial combination and 2 different keys altogether to open it and I modified it with a alarm system that goes off shortly after the door is opened unless deactivated with a remote upon entry.

How many firearms you storing?

(if you don't mind me asking)
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by pajamatime » 02 Jul 2015, 11:03 am

Wobble wrote:
pajamatime wrote:My safe requires 1 dial combination and 2 different keys altogether to open it and I modified it with a alarm system that goes off shortly after the door is opened unless deactivated with a remote upon entry.

How many firearms you storing?

(if you don't mind me asking)

I don't want to come across as being rude but for security reasons I don't usually tell people too much info unless I know them. :silent:
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 02 Jul 2015, 11:12 am

The capacity rating that's been mentioned a few times here is a real PITA, as I recently discovered with 2 x rifles fitted with GRS stocks and scopes. I can get 3 into a 10 designated safe and just enough room for the dehumidifier. Now I need another 10 gun safe to hold 3 rifles I'm thinking of.

I could've gone for a huge safe, but, mine are hidden from sight and I'd like to keep it that way.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 06 Jul 2015, 11:55 am

pajamatime wrote:I don't want to come across as being rude but for security reasons I don't usually tell people too much info unless I know them. :silent:

No offence taken, mate. I completely understand.

Was just curious what you were storing to feel the need for such a heavy setup.

:friends:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment