Cleaning and Accessories

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Cleaning and Accessories

Post by AusTac » 30 Jun 2015, 6:09 pm

Alrighty, so got my shiney new lithgow .22 as my first actual owned rifle, and now i need the kit to go along with it, for a scope i'm thinking a Vortex crossfire ii 4-12x40AO paired with a harris bipod do you guys think that's overkill? and who else has a vortex scope?

As for cleaning has anyone heard of Ivy cleaning rods? one peice rod or boresnake? And being a .22 whats the go for before and after the range?

I'm thinking something along the lines of dry patch to get storage oils out, shoot, leaving in wax coating to protect bore? or get it out? Or just oil the bore? then just a light wipe of oil on the outside.

as i understand it, its best to leave a .22 a little fouled

Cheers
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: Cleaning and Accessories

Post by rsj223 » 30 Jun 2015, 6:28 pm

Congrats on the new arrival lol, I liked the Vortex very clear, I have only ever cleaned my .22 once
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 30 Jun 2015, 7:33 pm

I only clean a .22LR Rimfire when I change brands of ammunition from one manufacturer to another..ie a change of the wax coating. It takes quite a number of shots to get top accuracy back by fouling the barrel. If it gets wet, then that's another story of making sure no moisture remains inside or out.

In between shoots I sometimes run a dry patch and dry nylon brush to remove some of the loose crud in the bore then a wipe over all with a lightly oil rag.

For a 50 year old Rimfire mine does pretty well accuracy wise in competition shooting rating highly even against special custom made rifles.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 30 Jun 2015, 7:47 pm

I don't think 4-12x40 is too much. I have a Vortex Diamondback with AO in that size on my T-bolt. It goes well enough for my needs.

Read this re: cleaning then make up your own mind. http://www.rrdvegas.com/rimfire-cleaning.html

No matter how much you clean out the bore, at least try to keep the chamber clean, reasons as explained in the article.
As others have said, i clean mine rarely but dry brush & patch it more often.

Nice one on the Lithgow :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2015, 8:39 pm

Just me but for rabbiting, 7 to 7 x 40 or 3 to 9 x 40.

Clean well with a solvent and patch dry before shooting. Then no need for additional cleaning just perhaps every 1000 rounds or so

Edit. Clean excess oil and grease off the action and oil lightly.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 30 Jun 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 30 Jun 2015, 8:57 pm

Thanks for the reply's guys, pretty exited to hopefully get it down little river over the weekend, trying to peice together a shootable rifle for the weekend on a bit of budget this week.

Gwion- would you buy your optic again if you had your time again?
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Jun 2015, 9:13 pm

I only wipe my 22's over with an oily rag, I don't clean the bore (seems to bugger up accuracy for a while) and with all the wax on the projectiles there doesn't seem to be a need to oil the bore either.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 30 Jun 2015, 9:24 pm

Has anyone used some line trimmer line with a patch on the end? Would that get me going just for this weekend?
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by pomemax » 30 Jun 2015, 10:56 pm

Fire a few rounds down range about 10,000 should do then you will know when to clean it go to the anschutz web site read the cleaning only after 10,000 and only then if accuracy slips
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 01 Jul 2015, 8:23 am

AusTac wrote:Gwion- would you buy your optic again if you had your time again?

Yep.
Not "in love" with it, but for the price it has the features i need, is clear (even under light at night as that's where it gets most use), has no issues with holding zero and a very good warranty policy attached. I'd prefer side focus as a parallax control but a reliable side focus would cost a hell of a lot more.

For my 22lr, it is just fine. 4x (set to 10 yards parallax if needed) is low enough for close work and fast acquisition for pest control, while 12x is good for when i want to sit and try for good groups at longer range.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 01 Jul 2015, 8:33 am

Mate, stop by the gun shop and get a decent cleaning rod, some nylon brushes. I use one nylon brush as a patch jag and one to scrub crap out. A bottle of Hoppes to go with it.

You may find the bore needs a really good clean to get all the grease and stuff out before you shoot it. My T-bolt did when new, anyway. Took a couple of goes with the brush and about 10 patches before i pushed through a clean patch. Don't know what the Lithgows are like. You may not use the rod much on the Lithgow (or you may if you decide to go that way), but you will need it down the track for when you get a centerfire.

DON'T FIRE IT WITH OUT FIRST CLEANING THE CRAP OUT. If there is grease in the bore and you fire it, it will not do good things to the barrel and might just screw it up for good. It's better to spend a couple of extra bucks and another 20 mins than it is to wreck your new rifle.

I wouldn't go relying on snipper cord and a patch.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 01 Jul 2015, 9:31 am

Yeah fair enough, i might just wait another week and save up a few more $$ to get a decent optic and some cleaning gear and a bipod

That web you gave me is the holy grail of rimfire cleaning well worth the read!

What rods do people use?
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 01 Jul 2015, 10:11 am

Bore Tech rod here.

Coated steel with baring race in the handle.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jul 2015, 10:47 am

I've got a few diff rods here, Boretech, Proshot etc, all seem good (all 1pce too)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sender » 02 Jul 2015, 10:33 am

AusTac wrote:as i understand it, its best to leave a .22 a little fouled

A consistent barrel is an accurate one.

POI and accuracy will be different between a clean, slightly fouled, moderately fouled and fully fouled barrel.

Takes that first 20 or 30 shots or however many from a clean to get back up to a consistent level, which most guys consider a waste of time/ammo.

As the wax protects the bore it can be left in, and accurate from one shoot to the next should be the same without the break-in period.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment