150kg + safe

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

150kg + safe

Post by deye243 » 29 Jul 2015, 10:27 pm

ok i'm "expletive" sick of this trying to rent a place only to be told i can't bolt

down the 3 safe i have .

anybody would think i was trying to bore for oil .

so what kind of 150+kg safe do you have and how much did it cost you .

cheers DE
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: 150kg + safe

Post by brett1868 » 29 Jul 2015, 11:31 pm

I have one of these Image and a pair of these Image
The Impact safe is 182kg whist the Lokaway tips the scale at 250kg (I unloaded and moved this into place on my own). The Impact cost me around $850ea some time ago from http://www.farmservices.com.au/product.php?productid=1251&cat=157&page=1 , they are currently listed at $1000 while the Lokaway was recently purchased at mates rates though this particular model is on special for around $1850 due to it having the old gloss paint instead of the new matte paint.
The Impact safe I consider over priced at the current price and there's better options out there. Best bet would be to contact your local dealer and see what they can do as shipping from anywhere outside your local area would be a significant cost I'd expect.
The Lokaway is a class piece of work with an ingenious door design but like every gun safe the advertised capacity of 30 rifles is more like 20. I like that it has a 2 row depth but you need to remove the guns up front to get to those in the back which doesn't bother me too much as I keep the stuff I rarely shoot up back. There's provision to store rifles on the inside of the door but barrel length is a consideration, the Sako twins fit perfectly but the Weatherby twins are too long. If you keen on the Lokaway let me know and I can post some pictures. I've already added a lighting system which should be standard in a box this size.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by newsteadvic » 30 Jul 2015, 5:32 pm

deye243 wrote:ok i'm "expletive" sick of this trying to rent a place only to be told i can't bolt down the 3 safe i have .

cheers DE

I confess I just didn't ask! Cut a triangle in the carpet in a dark spot like wardrobe, sink dynabolts and bolt down.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jul 2015, 6:20 pm

brett1868 wrote:but you need to remove the guns up front to get to those in the back

Although you still have some problems due to the circular design,,,
this is a facet that I like about the revolving cylinder type gun safe. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 30 Jul 2015, 7:22 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
brett1868 wrote:but you need to remove the guns up front to get to those in the back

this is a facet that I like about the revolving cylinder type gun safe. :thumbsup:

I can picture a designer safe, open the door, push a button and the carousel rotates till you find the rifle you want. I could tell the missus I bought it to store her shoes in :lol:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by p3seven » 30 Jul 2015, 9:18 pm

If your current safes will fit them. Put weight lifting weights on to the floor of safe untill desired weight is reached. Eg. Weight of safe + weight of guns and ammo+added steel = Required freestanding weight. Cover with carpet and replace guns.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bretty1307 » 30 Jul 2015, 9:20 pm

Could always add and secure some weight in the bottom of the safe to make it comply. Just in case you get stuck :-)
bretty1307
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 30 Jul 2015, 10:32 pm

well i talked to the proper DFO today and he is more than happy to approve

what ever i do that make's the over 150kg rule so it looks like i'm gunna bolt

them all together .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 30 Jul 2015, 10:49 pm

deye243 wrote:well i talked to the proper DFO today and he is more than happy to approve

them all together .

I was going to do the same thing but got told it wouldn't be approved as it's not one seamless cabinet. if you bolted 2 together with a combined weight >150kg I don't see how they can fail you on inspection, essentially its no different then some of the bigger safes with 2 doors. I'd be using a minimum of 5 high tensile bolts with spring washers and Nylock nuts of maybe 10mm diameter or greater.

I had an inspection a couple weeks back now and the lovely Snr Constable wasn't overly worried about checking the actual safe. She took a look and said they are over the 150kg and moved on to checking my firearms against my rego papers. I'm going to give her a call next week to invite her and her partner out to the range to shoot some of the more interesting rifles I have. A little positive PR with the local Licensing Police should be fun and maybe encourage them to get more into the sport.
Last edited by brett1868 on 30 Jul 2015, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 30 Jul 2015, 10:56 pm

brett1868 wrote:
deye243 wrote:well i talked to the proper DFO today and he is more than happy to approve

them all together .

I was going to do the same thing but got told it wouldn't be approved as it's not one seamless cabinet. if you bolted 2 together with a combined weight >150kg I see how they can fail you on inspection, essentially its no different then some of the bigger safes with 2 doors. I'd be using a minimum of 5 high tensile bolts with spring washers and Nylock nuts of maybe 10mm diameter or greater.

I had an inspection a couple weeks back now and the lovely Snr Constable wasn't overly worried about checking the actual safe. She took a look and said they are over the 150kg and moved on to checking my firearms against my rego papers. I'm going to give her a call next week to invite her and her partner out to the range to shoot some of the more interesting rifles I have. A little positive PR with the local Licensing Police should be fun and maybe encourage them to get more into the sport.

as the DFO said it's no different to bolting it to the wall
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 30 Jul 2015, 11:30 pm

I'm with you on that one (I had to edit my post and add I "don't" see how they can fail you). Originally I was going to get 2 smaller safes and bolt them together but after being told it wouldn't pass I went to the 185kg Impact safes. The Lokaway is 250kg ABC & H but to pass C & H has to be bolted down...it's gotta be close to 400kg loaded at the moment but they still want bolts if it's going to store pistols no matter how much it weighs. I guess if not bolted down a couple of big fellas could lay it over onto a dolly and wheel it away, that's how I moved it in and it wasn't too hard.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Jul 2015, 12:13 am

brett1868 wrote: I guess if not bolted down a couple of big fellas could lay it over onto a dolly and wheel it away,

Errrrr,,,, Brett ??
By looking at that little tuft of green hair on the head,,, I gather you haven't got your thinking cap on.

Apart from weight, my humble suggestion is to put both of those matching pair of safes side by side, and then bolt them together from the inside.

That way even if they might end up on a dolly,,,, they wont fit thru the freekin doorway.

:drinks: :friends: :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Jul 2015, 12:24 am

brett1868 wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:

I can picture a designer safe, open the door, push a button and the carousel rotates till you find the rifle you want. I could tell the missus I bought it to store her shoes in :lol:

Google is your bestest friend mate,,,,
The "carousel" design is already available.

I think "made in the US of A"

Maybe you blokes from over there can find the necessary info,, ???

I remember seeing on U Tube (I think) a few years back.
There was a vertical one, and a horizontal one.
Each one had fluoro lighting, and could be set to rotate upon opening the outer door, and present the one you want at the front.

:clap:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 31 Jul 2015, 12:44 am

I've just cut the carpet made sure the holes were deep enough for the bolts to be belted flush with the concrete then glue the carpet back and cross fingers they dont notice, its in a darkish cupboard, I am prepared to pay for a repair if need be. (I'm in a rental)
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 31 Jul 2015, 7:53 am

Apart from weight, my humble suggestion is to put both of those matching pair of safes side by side, and then bolt them together from the inside.

I did think to do that originally but didn't want to drill holes in case I wanted to sell one later on. Eventually I'll get round to building an underground bunker like Brad Pitt had in "Mr & Mrs Smith". :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 31 Jul 2015, 4:32 pm

When I look at theft figures Cat C and D are rarely stolen,in Vic only 6 pistols out of over 48,000 were reported stolen in 1 year according to the Police which shows standards are pretty good for these categories

I would be looking at Cat A/B/C/H compliant safes over 150kg.

The Spika safes over 150KG look alright to me,there was one in Safari for just over $1k, I think they are made in Vic.
www.spika.com.au/gun_safes.html
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by inventurkey » 04 Aug 2015, 11:33 am

Any idea how often they're stolen as a percentage of ownership out of curiosity?

There are heaps less out there than there are A/B so obviously the total will be less.

Curious how they stack up as a %

Presumably less as well as storage requirements are stricter.
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 04 Aug 2015, 2:04 pm

I think only 1 or 2 Cat D have been stolen, with Cat C it was less than 5, no idea on percentages as total Cat C and D numbers are hard to get.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 11 Aug 2015, 8:42 am

They should issue more C and D licenses then, would increase security for the As and Bs in the same safe.

Win win :D
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment