Correct accessory size for .303 + 8mm Mauser

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Correct accessory size for .303 + 8mm Mauser

Post by Historical » 12 Aug 2015, 6:14 am

G'day guys,

I recently inherited two rifles from my old man a No.5 Mk1 Lee enfield .303 and a K98 Mauser 7.92x57. I've been trying to find the correct information for the last few days but have come up short. Just wondering if anyone may be able to give me guidance on the suitable sizes for the jigs, brushes, mops and bore guides that would suit these two rifles, or reputable places that might stock such things.

Also just as a side know was wondering what cleaning brands people have had success with?

Thanks for any advice in advance it is much appreciated.
Historical
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Correct accessory size for .303 + 8mm Mauser

Post by simmo » 13 Aug 2015, 2:19 pm

Hi Historical

I have a Mauser myself and have found that using a cleaning rod, brush (nylon and copper) and cleaning accessories for a .308 will do the job in an 8mm.
For cleaning brands I use Hoppy's for a bore cleaner/solvent in my 8mm Mauser and or Butch's bore tech. There are some really good guides around the web if you want the specifics for how to approach cleaning and maintenance.

What sort of condition are these inherited rifles in?
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Historical » 13 Aug 2015, 8:28 pm

Hey Simmo,

Thank you very much for the advice, being doing my research and building my knowledge this past week. Though working 6 - 7 days a week does not give me a whole lot of time. Tried tracking down a few guides for both of the rifles found a couple, but nothing that was overly helpful. If you know of any and are able to shoot me a link I'd much appreciate it.

The rifles are in fairly good nick, they have just been in storage for a bit too long. So I wanted to give them a good clean up. Hopefully the picture I uploaded has worked to give you a better idea.

Cheers again Simmo.
Attachments
rifles.jpg
rifles.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2264 times
Historical
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by simmo » 17 Aug 2015, 11:12 am

My pleasure mate, always keen to pass on the advice. I have benefitted immensely from the advice of others and happy to provde a bit of it where I can.

In relation to cleaning techniques/processes have look at the link below. Its from a highly accomplished full bore shooter and is advice I have followed to great effect with my rifles in similar/same calibres to yours

www.triplej.com.au/productpages/barrelcleaning

You tube is also great for getting more specific advice on the rifles, particularly your K98 there.

Have a look on youtube also
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment