Do I need a bipod for my Savage 9317

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Do I need a bipod for my Savage 9317

Post by juststarting » 27 Sep 2015, 10:20 pm

So I am in two minds if I want a bipod for my savage 17hmr or not.

I could use a bag off the bench and a backpack of the ground, for example. Especially in situations that are not on the shooting range you'd think everyone has either a backpack or a bumbag/webbing of some sort, which could be used as a pretty good platform to shoot from. I really don't see the point of a bipod for this. Yet, when I was researching the rifle - every video I watched seemed to have bipods.

Thoughts?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Do I need a bipod for my Savage 9317

Post by Browning » 27 Sep 2015, 10:26 pm

A bipod is something that can be taken on and off in seconds... It's small and can be easily packed into any bag...
I find (when the opportunity presents itself and I've the time) shooting off a bipod is very stable and accurate, so personally, can't see why you wouldn't if the type of shooting u do allows time and opportunity to use one... Better than a backpack as a rest I reckon.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Sep 2015, 10:35 pm

Bipods can be useful, yes. Even with a bipod attached, you won't always use it, but it can be quite handy. Better to have one and not need it than to have a situation where you wish you had one. .17s are most useful against smaller (and often flighty) targets at mid range, where the extra stability really can count
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Sep 2015, 4:29 pm

Consider shooting sticks. Piss easy to make. Just need 2 sticks and some strong string.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 28 Sep 2015, 7:25 pm

Home made shooting sticks have one drawback, fixed height. I have a set of Vangard telescopic shooting sticks that work anywhere between sitting height and standing. cost around 40 bucks and can be carried extended as well (i reckon they give extra snake protection if required)

for the kind of ranges you'll probably be shooting the 17 you shouyld be able to get the kind of accuracy you want from sticks and i seem to always find i can't get a shot through the grass with bipods

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 28 Sep 2015, 10:39 pm

I like using a little bipod on my mkii. Handy for getting prone for the long shots on rabbits or sniping eclipse mint tins :)
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 01 Oct 2015, 10:31 am

Bipod for the field, bag/rest for the range.

Is my 2 cents.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment