Gunsafe lighting ideas

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Gunsafe lighting ideas

Post by AusTac » 11 Oct 2015, 11:51 am

Hey guys and gals,

I'm toying with the idea of adding some led strips to the inside of my new lokaway safe as it's dark as in there, for now i just stuck some battery pir sensor lights but id like something a little more permenant and preferally running of 240v house plug, has anyone out there got anything they can show or any advice would be much appreciated. :huh:

cheers
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: Safe lighting ideas

Post by sandgroperbill » 11 Oct 2015, 12:30 pm

Maybe red, blue or green?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Oct 2015, 12:32 pm

I bought some LED Light Strips off Ebay a While back for camping, came with 4 or 5 LED Lights on Aluminum Channel, 240v power adapter, heaps of diff size leads, remotes, bag etc - they are 50cm long and 1 should suit my safe nicely I reckon :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 11 Oct 2015, 1:14 pm

http://www.bunnings.com.au/magic-living ... k_p4351044

I have a movement sensitive battery powered LED in my safe similar to the ones in the link. it's been in there for more than two years and im yet to change the batteries. add to that every time you open the safe it turns on and turns off after a few minutes

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 11 Oct 2015, 4:01 pm

What chronos said. I got a couple.

They have velcro stickers for attaching to a surface.

I glued a magnet, to one, that way it can be positioned anywhere in the safe.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 11 Oct 2015, 6:10 pm

I bought a couple sets of LED lights from Jaycar, little blocks of 3 with 3" of wire between them. I drilled a small hole out through the top left hand corner of the ammo box then another down through the ammo box into the main cavity. De-burred the holes and used a small rubber grommet to protect the wires, a little soldering and heat shrink completes the wiring. A 12v 3A plug pack with an inline switch powers it nicely. The lights originally had double sided tape but this had issues sticking to the paint of the safe so I removed it and used hot glue. I've pointed the camera up to see the lights but ordinarily when standing in front you can't see them or the wiring.
If I get a bit more enthusiastic I will wire up a reed switch so the lights turn on when the doors opened. Presently I'm consumed by bullet tipping, trimming and measuring.

IMG_1632.JPG
IMG_1632.JPG (371.05 KiB) Viewed 7492 times

IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1631.JPG (445.8 KiB) Viewed 7492 times

IMG_1630.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG (391.2 KiB) Viewed 7492 times

IMG_1629.JPG
Looks like another 2 need the hot glue.
IMG_1629.JPG (432.11 KiB) Viewed 7492 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 11 Oct 2015, 7:08 pm

Gigadi
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 11 Oct 2015, 7:19 pm

thanks for the ideas fellas, as a few of you have suggested i have two of those battery ir sensor lights, and if chronos is anything to go they might last longer than i though, and brett mate you went all out! I was in jaycar today thinking along similar lines
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Oct 2015, 10:05 pm

About five years ago I bought a 240 volt fluoro with a built in motion sensor switch.
This was from Bunnings, and was called an "Under Sink Cupboard" light.
Mounted with PK screws up the top of the cabinet so that it is not seen at all unless you lay on the floor on your back and look up.

The pic shows the light (after I lay on the floor and waited for it to turn off) the part fluoro visible that is on, is the normal room fluoro up on the ceiling.

All the wiring is inserted behind the inner wall carpeting of the cabinet, and exits via grommets at the rear of the cabinet.

Its just like having a little man inside that turns the light on and off for me. :lol: :lol: :clap:
100_3799.JPG
100_3799.JPG (528.47 KiB) Viewed 7471 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Supporter » 13 Oct 2015, 8:40 am

brett1868 wrote:I bought a couple sets of LED lights from Jaycar, little blocks of 3 with 3" of wire between them.

So that's the infamous big gun safe :D
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 13 Oct 2015, 2:37 pm

Supporter wrote:
brett1868 wrote:I bought a couple sets of LED lights from Jaycar, little blocks of 3 with 3" of wire between them.

So that's the infamous big gun safe :D

One of em.... :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 14 Oct 2015, 9:55 am

Die Judicii wrote:Its just like having a little man inside that turns the light on and off for me. :lol: :lol: :clap:

I was going to go with a setup like that, the Police said something about kidnapping and false imprisonment though.

And then you've gotta remember to feed the guy all the time.

Sounded like more trouble than it was worth :mrgreen:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Homer » 24 Oct 2015, 12:56 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Earlier this year, I was away Sambar Huntin and ended up sharing a camp site with some Hunters from around Sydney.
They suggested to me, to use LED Christmas decoration lights.
This is not only for lighting but apparently, the minute amount of heat the LED's generate, helps to warm the inside of the safe and keep the humidity under control?

Any opinions/experience on this???

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Oct 2015, 6:12 pm

Spose it could work.

This is what I bought to use in mine and for camping (can run on 240 or 12v) I also purchased a couple of remote controls for em, they through out a ****** of light (I put one in my Garage LOL like bloody daylight in there now) still have to put one in the safe but she will do a rippa job in there.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Bar-12V-24 ... SwyQtVvCuS

Remotes
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-RF-WIREL ... S6FM1m6vkg
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sender » 26 Oct 2015, 2:54 pm

No one rocking the disco ball? :lol:
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by PaladinAus » 18 Dec 2015, 6:55 pm

I know I'm digging up an old thread, but thought I'd share my lighting setup since others have shown their methods.

Much like AusTac I have a Lockaway (Hyskor) and it's as dark as a dogs guts. Where it is set up in the room no light gets inside. That's a photo, no flash of what I was dealing with.

So I got a roll of 5050 White LEDs, some insulated 2 core wire, a 2.1mm surface mount power jack, a small 12v PIR sensor and the usual selection of solder and heat shrink you'd need for something like this.

First step was to drill a hole for the power jack. Not surprisingly, a pain in the ass.

Inside

And with the carpet down, it's pretty unobtrusive.

All the rest of the wiring is hidden under the carpet.

This is the PIR sensor. It just sits under the pistol compartment, you can't even see it when standing in front of the open safe.

Other than that, just cut and soldered 3 strips for the main area and one small one for the pistol compartment. Ran the wires, stuck the LED strips into position and this is the end result.

Realistically, less than $30 in parts, and a few hours. Pretty happy with the results. Turns itself on when you open the door, and is on a 3 min timer. You can see it switch off with the door closed.
PaladinAus
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 18 Dec 2015, 7:49 pm

Real neat and professional PaladinAus, i ended up just sticking some magnetic pir led lights for jaycar on the metal underside lol
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 19 Dec 2015, 12:50 pm

Nice work, professional install and looks great
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Dec 2015, 4:51 pm

You guys got me thinking about my "not so light" safe. So I bought one of these the other day. Just gotta wait a few weeks for delivery from
Hong Kong. Cost was a crippling $1.53,,,,,,,,,,, delivered. I jut need 3 AAA batteries for it now. This shooting is getting expensive. :lol:

safe light.JPG
safe light.JPG (29.53 KiB) Viewed 4963 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Dec 2015, 8:11 pm

That should do the job (better than what you have anyway by the sounds of it) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by juststarting » 19 Dec 2015, 8:44 pm

Oldbloke, that's what I use. I also have two similar ones with motion sensors, but those were around 10ish from bunnings I think
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 21 Dec 2015, 11:48 am

PaladinAus wrote:I know I'm digging up an old thread, but thought I'd share my lighting setup since others have shown their methods.

As for ressurrecting old threads, I, personally, am fine as long as there is something worthwhile to contribute, such as this. It's better than starting a new thread. It does annoy me, though, when someone raises a long dead thread for a one sentence (or even worse, one word) reply that doesn't contribute anything to the subject...

There's a big difference. Your response may well help give people ideas in the future, so definitely a good post
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Carter » 04 Jan 2016, 2:41 pm

Looks top PaladinAus :thumbsup:
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment