Ballistol? G96? Nickel finish?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Ballistol? G96? Nickel finish?

Post by AusTac » 05 Nov 2015, 11:47 am

Hey guys,

Just bought a new Beretta 686 SP1 ( the nicest object i own ) and up until last night i was ballistol for a light protective coating, but long story short i found out nickel finishes often have copper underneath and ballistol eats copper according to the can. Should i be worried?
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: Ballistol? G96? Nickel finish?

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2015, 12:28 pm

I don't know is the short answer, I just use Lanox on all my firearms and no issues at all (I assume you are wanting to protect it from rust etc)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 05 Nov 2015, 12:32 pm

I don't see anything on the can about eating copper, maybe I missed that part but I have been using Ballistol for years to clean the carbon / powder residue from the necks of brass cases. Also the neck area of my chamber to remove carbon. I have not ever seen any sign of it stripping copper out of brass, wipe a clean copper item with it and see if there is any colour change.

There is a mention on the Ballistol Web Site FAQ about scratched nickel surfaces and removing the residue. Don't see anything about it eating any metals though.

If you are that worried then switch to something else, like "Inox". It even comes in "Food Grade" for cleaning your Pots n Pans.

I wipe my firearms and stocks with a Ballistol, Inox or Tetra Gun Lube slightly soaked cotton rag and have never had any problems. One thing I will not use is "Remoil".
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 06 Nov 2015, 7:32 am

I haven't heard of inox might hunt some down, for now i've changed to g96 other wise its straight hoppes oil next
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Nov 2015, 8:02 am

AusTac wrote:I haven't heard of inox might hunt some down, for now i've changed to g96 other wise its straight hoppes oil next

Lanox is made by the same mob and is the heavy duty version :thumbsup: costs around $11 so heaps cheaper than "Gun Oils" only thing you have to watch is Inox is it can over time effect rubber (according to their product statement) no such probs with Lanox. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 06 Nov 2015, 11:41 am

Id rather replace a recoil pad rather than a beretta receiver lol big bucks
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Nov 2015, 1:46 pm

AusTac wrote:Id rather replace a recoil pad rather than a beretta receiver lol big bucks

Use Lanox and you won't have to worry about either! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Berper » 09 Nov 2015, 2:47 pm

bigfellascott wrote:only thing you have to watch is Inox is it can over time effect rubber (according to their product statement)

Yep, you don't wanna get these things on your recoil pad lest you end up with them as a gooey mess on the bottom of your safe.
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Nov 2015, 8:42 pm

Berper wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:only thing you have to watch is Inox is it can over time effect rubber (according to their product statement)

Yep, you don't wanna get these things on your recoil pad lest you end up with them as a gooey mess on the bottom of your safe.

Yep that's why I use Lanox :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bourt » 12 Nov 2015, 11:02 am

Berper wrote:Yep, you don't wanna get these things on your recoil pad lest you end up with them as a gooey mess on the bottom of your safe.

Better than storing muzzle down and having it run over the whole rifle I suppose :lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment