bore snakes

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

bore snakes

Post by 83neil » 02 Dec 2015, 8:46 pm

im new at guns so doing some research on how to clean them for best results.
ive read that you should never pull a patch back thru the bore as its now contaminated!
why is pulling a snake multiple times different to a patch?
83neil
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: bore snakes

Post by AusTac » 02 Dec 2015, 9:06 pm

Its not, the bore snake still contains all the contaminates that you would get on a patch, people that use bore snakes usually have the " its just a little carbon it won't harm the bore " kinda attitude but each to their own, my personal point of view is over time a snake will wear away the bore ( over many many passes ) and possibly the muzzle if not pulled out straight that said if yoy wash it and don't pull it through to dirty, she'll be right

They can be perticularly usefull on firearms where its difficult to get into the bore in a straight line, eg semi's and lever actions

Have you looked at " otis " kits? Eaither brand name or not they are a similar concept
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 03 Dec 2015, 1:51 am

Bore snakes are handy in the field while hunting, in case you get dirt in the bore somehow. Personally, I carry one in a pouch on my butt, but don't really use it. As for cleaning regimes, you'll find no end of opinions on the best way to clean. Each to their own I say.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Dec 2015, 3:58 am

I find bore snakes blody handy but i don't use them for cleaning after a shoot.

I always carry them hunting incase I manage to stuff the barrel into the sand or dirt.

I also use them to clean out the oil from storage before a shoot because it's done in seconds.

They wash well in the washing machine , just chuck em in with the washing once in a while.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 03 Dec 2015, 10:41 am

All good advice here. Handy but not an every time thing. I'd be interested how you'd clear a plugged barrel with a bore snake. Poke at it with a stick first perhaps so Yu can he the snake through.

Get a correctly sized rod, jags and brushes and a bore guide and quality solvents. Oh and don't abuse the crown by dragging the rod back and forth through it.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 03 Dec 2015, 12:04 pm

Chronos is right, take good care of your crown! There is no definitive "right" way to clean your bore, there are a lot of opinions on this. But be gentle on your crown. You don't want the crown to be damaged as this can impact on accuracy
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by 83neil » 03 Dec 2015, 8:23 pm

thanks for the help.
might get one just for in the field.
83neil
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 03 Dec 2015, 8:28 pm

I use an otis kit, a remington copy of an otis kit and a collection of snakes. Snakes are also good for shotguns.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Dec 2015, 7:06 am

Chronos wrote:All good advice here. Handy but not an every time thing. I'd be interested how you'd clear a plugged barrel with a bore snake. Poke at it with a stick first perhaps so Yu can he the snake through.
Chronos

Thats exactly how it's done, making sure you find a good stick that won't break.
Luckily I've only ever had to do it once.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by NuZo » 04 Dec 2015, 7:29 am

The s**ty 3 piece rods are useless, Get a good carbon fiber one piece and be happy with it's strength and flexibility. You won't look back.

Cheers,

Nuzo
Subscribe to Australian Shooting Channel on Youtube! - https://www.youtube.com/c/AustralianShootingChannel
Like Australian Shooting Channel on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/AustralianShootingChannel
NuZo
Private
Private

-

Post by anthillinside » 05 Dec 2015, 9:41 pm

Use em right and there no problem :allegedly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p3FhOupX9g
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 08 Dec 2015, 3:17 pm

I've come around to the bore snake.

Walking through the bush last trip I somehow manager to walk the muzzle dead-on to a thin twig branch and got about 8" of it down the barrel before it snapped off.

Took 20 minutes of screwing around with other thin sticks trying to flick it out then still had little bits of debris in there that you could only have gotten out with a patch.

*grumble*
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment