Torch for spot lighting

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Torch for spot lighting

Post by Gwion » 24 Sep 2016, 7:17 pm

Fair enough. Good looking lights, anyway. Put most dedicated spotlights to shame in a very potable unit.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wade06 » 24 Sep 2016, 9:47 pm

Thanks for the different ideas. The K70 looks great but probably overkill for rabbits with a 22 :lol:

Still leaning towards the Klarus FH10 with reasonable weight, adjustable beam and red, white green LED.

Cheers
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Sep 2016, 1:54 pm

wade06 wrote:Thanks for the different ideas. The K70 looks great but probably overkill for rabbits with a 22 :lol:

Still leaning towards the Klarus FH10 with reasonable weight, adjustable beam and red, white green LED.

Cheers

you could use it to blind em :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wade06 » 26 Sep 2016, 7:03 pm

I used a m2x last night (1020 lumens) and i'm rethinking my original idea which was only 700 lumens.
I like the size of the m2x but the m3x (1200 lumens) seems to be a lot brighter in videos for when i get a 243 :D
Thoughts on the m3x or other similar are welcome.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 26 Sep 2016, 7:28 pm

My M3X is great. Perfect for me and my 223. Also good hand held spotter for the 22lr when you have a buddy to spot for you.

People make the mistake of looking at lumens only. Other things factor into throw and beam density.

Look up candlepower forums for all the obsessive discussions by torch fanatics. ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wade06 » 26 Sep 2016, 9:24 pm

Cheers Gwion, thanks for the advice.

I notice that the max 1200 drops to 720 after 5 minutes. Does turning it off and on re-set this back to 1200?
Is heat an issue?

The M2X just runs at 1000 for 60 minutes.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 27 Sep 2016, 6:20 am

It is a heat protection feature to stop the thing exploding in your hand!!!

Not sure how long it takes to reset but I rarely run the torch for more tan 5mins at a time, anyway.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wade06 » 29 Sep 2016, 2:28 pm

I ended up ordering a Klarus FH10 torch for my 22.
Not as bright as some but the adjustable beam plus red, white and green LED won out in the end... also i can also use it as a normal torch .

I will look at a Olight M2X or M3X for a centrefire down the track.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 29 Sep 2016, 2:36 pm

For a 22LR and shooting bunnies anything brighter than the $20 torches from Jaycar just spooks the cunnies. Anything that throws a tight spot out to 100 meters is more than gonna do the job.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by wade06 » 21 Oct 2016, 9:02 pm

My Klarus FH10 torch turned up yesterday. Initial impressions are that it is very well built, compact and not too heavy (300g with battery). It works great on a 22LR and would be equally at home on a centrefire. There are dual springs on the battery so recoil should be fine on a centrefire.

The red, green and white LEDs are on a slider and the light can be focused in and out as required. At the tightest the beam is about 0.6m wide at 10m while the widest the beam is about 2.7m wide at 10m.

The white LED, as a spot light, lights up the hill 280m away and there would be no problems identifying a roo or deer at this range without a scope. At 280m the beam is about 15-20m wide (square edges) with no spill. Usable hunting range (white LED) is probably about 330-350m max.

The red LED let's you identify targets at around 100m but would show eye reflections a lot further. The green LED lets you identify targets a bit further but eyes don’t light up as well as on the red LED.

There is an on/off button at the back plus a tail switch to toggle between low, medium and high beams. Klarus claim 2.5 hours run time on max with the white LED using the standard 2600mAh battery. The bigger 3400mAh battery I ordered should push that to 3.3 hours.

The only complaint at this stage is that it took nearly 4 weeks to arrive :huh:
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Oct 2016, 4:46 am

Looks great mate, it should do the job nicely I reckon.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mongrel » 22 Oct 2016, 5:30 am

wade06 wrote:My Klarus FH10 torch turned up yesterday. Initial impressions are that it is very well built, compact and not too heavy (300g with battery). It works great on a 22LR and would be equally at home on a centrefire. There are dual springs on the battery so recoil should be fine on a centrefire.

The red, green and white LEDs are on a slider and the light can be focused in and out as required. At the tightest the beam is about 0.6m wide at 10m while the widest the beam is about 2.7m wide at 10m.

The white LED, as a spot light, lights up the hill 280m away and there would be no problems identifying a roo or deer at this range without a scope. At 280m the beam is about 15-20m wide (square edges) with no spill. Usable hunting range (white LED) is probably about 330-350m max.

The red LED let's you identify targets at around 100m but would show eye reflections a lot further. The green LED lets you identify targets a bit further but eyes don’t light up as well as on the red LED.

There is an on/off button at the back plus a tail switch to toggle between low, medium and high beams. Klarus claim 2.5 hours run time on max with the white LED using the standard 2600mAh battery. The bigger 3400mAh battery I ordered should push that to 3.3 hours.

Good review mate, look forward to seeing some footage while using it too :thumbsup:
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wade06 » 25 Oct 2016, 8:53 pm

Just a quick update. I took the FH10 out hunting foxes tonight... didn't get anything but the torch went great.

I was using the red light and had no problems seeing out to 150m on spot.
In close it was good to be able to widen the beam for a wider field of view.
I don't think I could go back to a white only torch with fixed width beam after using the Klarus FH10. Highly recommended so far. :D
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jaydos » 09 Nov 2016, 8:46 pm

wade06 wrote:My Klarus FH10 torch turned up yesterday. Initial impressions are that it is very well built, compact and not too heavy (300g with battery). It works great on a 22LR and would be equally at home on a centrefire. There are dual springs on the battery so recoil should be fine on a centrefire.

Mate where did you get the scope mount for the torch from? looks the goods. :)
jaydos
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wade06 » 10 Nov 2016, 6:58 am

$23.95 on ebay.... Search for 222068077454. There are still some left.

It is nice and solid. I wouldn't mind something with a quick release one day so I can easily add remove the torch.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jaydos » 14 Nov 2016, 8:24 pm

got my klarus in the mail today, pretty impressed with the shipping time. I ordered it on friday and it arrived today from liteshop. thing is bloody bright, on all 3 leds!, great for spotting.
jaydos
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wade06 » 14 Nov 2016, 8:55 pm

Nice work, you will love it. I don't use green but white and red are awesome. :thumbsup:
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by POD89 » 15 Nov 2016, 8:17 pm

depends if your spotting or shooting,
i scored a china copy led with batteries/mount /charger off ebay for like $30 and its great..... for about 4.65 minutes...
Led Lensor are pretty impressive. and small easy to carry etc
i picked up a "Companion- XRIO" pistol grip style spotty from the camping store and its awesome $100
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes..."
POD89
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by jaydos » 16 Nov 2016, 10:02 pm

wade06 wrote:Nice work, you will love it. I don't use green but white and red are awesome. :thumbsup:

red is great for spotting possums(to take photos) in the trees around the house. Green i find way brighter than the red but doesnt show up eyes as well. The white is a bloody awesomely powerful spotlight for the size of the unit. Can't wait to get my clip and throw it on the rifle scope.
jaydos
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment