Gun socks - yes or no?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Gun socks - yes or no?

Post by Supporter » 28 Jan 2016, 3:22 pm

gunnerjacky wrote:I didn't know that gun socks could protect the guns from moisture. There should be a practical explanation somewhere on the But, I think you should keep the socks on.


It's not all of them.

Just putting a lose fitting rag around something doesn't change the amount of moisture in the air of course.

For example though, the ZeRust ones that was mentioned emits a vapour which fills the space inside the sock (and the whole safe in the case of the capsules) which prevents oxidisation.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
User avatar
Supporter
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 287
Western Australia

Re: Gun socks - yes or no?

Post by Rider888 » 12 Oct 2018, 5:29 am

Just wondering when reference is made to "gun sock" do you just mean any old sock pulled over a gun for storage or something that is made for guns?
I have my pistol sitting on the shelf of my safe, out of the OEM box with just an old sock pulled over it.
Do i need the sock at all? Not sure why I put a sock over it. Probably because Ive heard about gun sock
If I don't need the sock then I am happy to remove it and just let the firearm sit on the shelf of the safe.
Thoughts?
Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 125
New South Wales

Re: Gun socks - yes or no?

Post by Rod_outbak » 12 Oct 2018, 5:57 am

[quote="Die Judicii"]
[quote="bigfellascott"]I use one on my Beretta SP1 when it's in it's case just to protect the timberwork, as for the moisture in the safe I run a seal around
the door and also have a reptile heater in it to keep things dry and warm, so far so good.
[/quote]
The question is begging to be asked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Do you keep the reptile in there as well ?????

A bit of a surprise for any would be thief I suppose.
[/quote]

Hmmmmmmm..... Roddy considers 'negotiating' with a large Collets snake, about running a security contract for the gun safe here...

Would a rat a fortnight and as many burglars he can fang, be considered fair and equitable wages???
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 583
Queensland

Re: Gun socks - yes or no?

Post by Daddybang » 12 Oct 2018, 6:24 am

Rider888 wrote:Just wondering when reference is made to "gun sock" do you just mean any old sock pulled over a gun for storage or something that is made for guns?

Thoughts?
Cheers


Gday rider
They are "special" socks with silicone in them to prevent moisture getting in. I use'em when the wet starts along with a tub of tea bags in the bottom of the safe to prevent rust! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2787
Queensland

Re: Gun socks - yes or no?

Post by Rider888 » 12 Oct 2018, 6:29 am

Daddybang wrote:
Rider888 wrote:Just wondering when reference is made to "gun sock" do you just mean any old sock pulled over a gun for storage or something that is made for guns?

Thoughts?
Cheers


Gday rider
They are "special" socks with silicone in them to prevent moisture getting in. I use'em when the wet starts along with a tub of tea bags in the bottom of the safe to prevent rust! :thumbsup: :drinks:


Thank you for that. So the sock I am using now will do nothing for me? Am I best to just have the pistol sitting on the shelf in the safe?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 125
New South Wales

Re: Gun socks - yes or no?

Post by Daddybang » 12 Oct 2018, 6:52 am

As long as ya got a coat of oil and some sort of moisture absorption then it should be fine sitting on the shelf. The sock ya using should provide limited protection from scratches etc but probably not much more than that :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2787
Queensland

Re: Gun socks - yes or no?

Post by Rider888 » 12 Oct 2018, 7:00 am

Daddybang wrote:As long as ya got a coat of oil and some sort of moisture absorption then it should be fine sitting on the shelf. The sock ya using should provide limited protection from scratches etc but probably not much more than that :drinks:


Thanks. yes I have a light film of Ballistol on it
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 125
New South Wales

Previous

Back to top
 
Return to Shooting accessories and equipment