Gun socks - yes or no?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Gun socks - yes or no?

Post by juststarting » 11 Jan 2016, 10:45 pm

Since I have a larger safe now, I can store rifles with bipods attached. This however means that I no longer can use gun socks. Any opinions on that, I don't think I have excessive moisture in the safe and to be sure, I have a tub of moisture absorbtion crystals. One of this in fact: https://www.woolworths.com.au/Content/w ... 178888.jpg. One inside and two outside. The outside ones do accumulate water and get swapped out every few months. Main reason I did use them, was to avoid scratches in a smaller safe.

I want to know how many people do/do not use them. Swear by them, think they are useless, etc?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Gun socks - yes or no?

Post by brett1868 » 11 Jan 2016, 11:04 pm

Yes :)
Though I use the socks mainly to protect the timber rifles from knocks and bumps whilst digging to get some thing from the back row of the safe. to control moisture I use the 450g Pingi rechargeable dehumidifiers from http://www.pingiaustralia.com.au/pingi-products/ and just recharge them as required. I have 8 of them across 3 safes and no hint of rust on anything so far. Can be recharged in the microwave in 12 mins and last a couple months or more between recharges.
Just take the bipods off, only takes a couple minutes. I have 2 of the Harris style bipods for the hunting rifles and they sit on a shelf in the safe door so I just grab one and thro in the ammo box when I go shooting.

How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 11 Jan 2016, 11:12 pm

That's pretty much what I do, just thought have them on, oh well. Socks stay on :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 11 Jan 2016, 11:37 pm

No.

Moisture isn't a problem and I'm careful ....
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 12 Jan 2016, 12:42 am

I don't understand the connection between gun socks and moisture?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jan 2016, 5:59 am

I use one on my Beretta SP1 when it's in it's case just to protect the timberwork, as for the moisture in the safe I run a seal around the door and also have a reptile heater in it to keep things dry and warm, so far so good.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 12 Jan 2016, 6:58 am

Title_II wrote:I don't understand the connection between gun socks and moisture?

I certainly ain't no expert on gunsocks, but ...

I think the silicon impregnated ones are suppose to help with moisture control.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Jan 2016, 10:42 am

The main use of gun socks is to help to protect the gun from nicks and dings. For rust protection there are protective bags as well as chemical and electric dehumidifiers.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Jan 2016, 5:49 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I use one on my Beretta SP1 when it's in it's case just to protect the timberwork, as for the moisture in the safe I run a seal around the door and also have a reptile heater in it to keep things dry and warm, so far so good.

The question is begging to be asked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Do you keep the reptile in there as well ?????

A bit of a surprise for any would be thief I suppose. :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jan 2016, 8:19 pm

No the lizards gone to heaven hence why I decided to put it to use in the safe. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Norton » 13 Jan 2016, 12:41 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:For rust protection there are protective bags as well as chemical and electric dehumidifiers.

ZERust do the bags which emit the rust protection stuff too.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 13 Jan 2016, 12:47 pm

A sock is great for saving dings and scratches when transporting rifles.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Herdsman » 13 Jan 2016, 1:19 pm

Norton wrote:ZERust do the bags which emit the rust protection stuff too.

Or stick one of the capsules in the safe, they protect everything for 2 years.

Not expensive either, $40 or something I think.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ToyotaBoy » 17 Jan 2016, 9:46 pm

ahhhhhh the old problem of the gun sock being to tight to fit over the gun with a scope or bipod attaached to it.
wellllllllll i have a lovely old lady living next door to me so one day asked her to do a huge favour for me and she cut in half 2 gun socks and sewed them together to ake 1 big gun sock, she was kind enuf to to it 3 times for 3 differnt guns with scopes on, problem solved :D
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 17 Jan 2016, 10:39 pm

ToyotaBoy wrote:ahhhhhh the old problem of the gun sock being to tight to fit over the gun with a scope or bipod attaached to it.
wellllllllll i have a lovely old lady living next door to me so one day asked her to do a huge favour for me and she cut in half 2 gun socks and sewed them together to ake 1 big gun sock, she was kind enuf to to it 3 times for 3 differnt guns with scopes on, problem solved :D

Damn, I've been struggling to slide the buggers on over the scope turrets. Ill ask the wife's friends if they can sow my socks...when I regain consciousness I'll give them a bit more detail :lol: Good idea and ill go asking them during the week :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 17 Jan 2016, 10:55 pm

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/6X-GUN-SOCK-6- ... nav=SEARCH

You can buy extra large ones for scoped rifles , mine fit with scope and bipod no worries
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by heron » 20 Jan 2016, 2:58 pm

Pays to have a Nanna on hand.
heron
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by gunnerjacky » 20 Jan 2016, 5:38 pm

I didn't know that gun socks could protect the guns from moisture. There should be a practical explanation somewhere on the But, I think you should keep the socks on.
Learning firearms from Boston Firearms Training School
gunnerjacky
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Supporter » 28 Jan 2016, 3:22 pm

gunnerjacky wrote:I didn't know that gun socks could protect the guns from moisture. There should be a practical explanation somewhere on the But, I think you should keep the socks on.

It's not all of them.

Just putting a lose fitting rag around something doesn't change the amount of moisture in the air of course.

For example though, the ZeRust ones that was mentioned emits a vapour which fills the space inside the sock (and the whole safe in the case of the capsules) which prevents oxidisation.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Rider888 » 12 Oct 2018, 5:29 am

Just wondering when reference is made to "gun sock" do you just mean any old sock pulled over a gun for storage or something that is made for guns?
I have my pistol sitting on the shelf of my safe, out of the OEM box with just an old sock pulled over it.
Do i need the sock at all? Not sure why I put a sock over it. Probably because Ive heard about gun sock
If I don't need the sock then I am happy to remove it and just let the firearm sit on the shelf of the safe.
Thoughts?
Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 12 Oct 2018, 5:57 am

[quote="Die Judicii"]
[quote="bigfellascott"]I use one on my Beretta SP1 when it's in it's case just to protect the timberwork, as for the moisture in the safe I run a seal around
the door and also have a reptile heater in it to keep things dry and warm, so far so good.
[/quote]
The question is begging to be asked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Do you keep the reptile in there as well ?????

A bit of a surprise for any would be thief I suppose.
[/quote]

Hmmmmmmm..... Roddy considers 'negotiating' with a large Collets snake, about running a security contract for the gun safe here...

Would a rat a fortnight and as many burglars he can fang, be considered fair and equitable wages???
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 12 Oct 2018, 6:24 am

Rider888 wrote:Just wondering when reference is made to "gun sock" do you just mean any old sock pulled over a gun for storage or something that is made for guns?

Thoughts?
Cheers

Gday rider
They are "special" socks with silicone in them to prevent moisture getting in. I use'em when the wet starts along with a tub of tea bags in the bottom of the safe to prevent rust! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 12 Oct 2018, 6:29 am

Daddybang wrote:
Rider888 wrote:Just wondering when reference is made to "gun sock" do you just mean any old sock pulled over a gun for storage or something that is made for guns?

Thoughts?
Cheers

Gday rider
They are "special" socks with silicone in them to prevent moisture getting in. I use'em when the wet starts along with a tub of tea bags in the bottom of the safe to prevent rust! :thumbsup: :drinks:

Thank you for that. So the sock I am using now will do nothing for me? Am I best to just have the pistol sitting on the shelf in the safe?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 12 Oct 2018, 6:52 am

As long as ya got a coat of oil and some sort of moisture absorption then it should be fine sitting on the shelf. The sock ya using should provide limited protection from scratches etc but probably not much more than that :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 12 Oct 2018, 7:00 am

Daddybang wrote:As long as ya got a coat of oil and some sort of moisture absorption then it should be fine sitting on the shelf. The sock ya using should provide limited protection from scratches etc but probably not much more than that :drinks:

Thanks. yes I have a light film of Ballistol on it
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment