Cat H Storage Requirements - QLD

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Cat H Storage Requirements - QLD

Post by djwhite » 24 Jan 2016, 8:05 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am getting my licence again now that I have moved to QLD after a few years of no shooting and no firearms. I was previously licenced in NSW.

This time around I may get in to some handgun shooting as well as Cat A & B and am looking to cover off on the storage requirements up front for Cat H just in case.

I've been reading https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/licenceApplication/storage/Documents/FirearmSafeStorageBrochure.pdf and it does not seem to stipulate any requirement for a certain separate standard of safe for Cat H as I had previously read about (but never implemented) in NSW.

So, my question broadly is, can a standard Gun Safe (bolted down of course) be used to store Cat H firearms in QLD?

If not, can someone please point me at some references which stipulate the requirements.

Thanks.
djwhite
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Cat H Storage Requirements - QLD

Post by RoginaJack » 27 Jan 2016, 5:59 pm

There are different requirements for storing Cat. D,H & R weapons, for EG, A,B & C weapons can be stored in solid steel or solid wooden constructed containers but D,H & R weapons can only be stored in solid steel containers. Also, weight of A,B & C containers apply re bolting to floor but in D, H & R weapon containers, weight does not apply and all must be bolted to floor.

My suggestion is too give WLB a ring. - cheers
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 15 Feb 2016, 10:33 am

What is the existing safe you have?
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wheedle » 16 May 2016, 3:48 pm

djwhite wrote:I've been reading https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/licenceApplication/storage/Documents/FirearmSafeStorageBrochure.pdf and it does not seem to stipulate any requirement for a certain separate standard of safe for Cat H as I had previously read about (but never implemented) in NSW.

Uhhh. Yes it does?

First column, "Legislative requirements for Category A, B and C firearms storage"

Second column, "Legislative requirements for Category D, H or R firearms storage"

:unknown:
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by superkel66 » 28 Aug 2016, 8:05 pm

with regard to thickness of material and storage with other catogory firearm etc its as clear as mud........i have A&B and i am trying to upgrade to C ( medical reasons so i can shoot clay's) and H to see if i like it. i know in the A.C.T cat H must be stored seperate and container must be 6mm minimum.
superkel66
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 28 Aug 2016, 9:24 pm

In Qld it just has to be steel, not easily penetrated and bolted down.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Jt-2019 » 10 Feb 2020, 3:32 pm

It can be really confusing but I take it as not easily penetrableand bolted down oh and steel
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Feb 2020, 5:01 pm

Yep and see my explanation above.
Also, have a yarn to your LGS and they will steer you in the right direction.
I would not bother with the green shed stuff, but look at brand name safes.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by snag » 03 Aug 2020, 8:40 pm

QLD rules are steel, bolted to the floor/frame of the building or permanent structure - no stipulation on steel thickness. I asked the Officers doing my inspection if I could whack them into my rifle safe and they said no problems as my safes are all bolted down. Just for the record but, I do have a pistol safe that is entirely 6mm steel and bolted under my bed. No idiot gets an easy go at getting my guns.....
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by johnboy357 » 01 Sep 2020, 4:07 pm

As someone else said - forget the cheap stuff - Have a look on google or in the yellow pages for locksmiths - they often have second hand safes for reasonable prices.
I got an old fashion office type safe about 1m high x .9m wide x .9m deep with walls about .075 thick - it was a fire proof type - door was about 8mm thick with fire proofing - only a key lock but much more than adequate. It weighed a heap but I still had to drill holes in the floor to bolt it down. The gun room is also alarmed - separate to the house. I value my handguns and the piece of mind the safe gives is worth the money. Many rifle safes are not much when you compare them to a proper safe. If you had one in N.S.W. then it would also do the job
johnboy357
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 02 Sep 2020, 7:00 pm

For a safe in qld as long as its steel, bolted down and has the hinges on the inside it'll pass, I believe that the safe will only keep the honest or lazy criminals out.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 02 Sep 2020, 11:19 pm

True enough.
A safe will force a thief to stay longer and make a lot of noise, the Bunnings grade safes are 5 mins with a battery cutting disc or even a drill and some tin snips if they go for a 2mm thick side wall, a 'real' safe could be an hour with a mains powered cutting disk or gas torches.

There's always a limit to how long a thief is willing to stay and how much noise they think they can get away with, you want them to look at your safe and say "yeah..er nah" or give up after a few minutes making no progress.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Sep 2020, 11:55 am

Put 3 safes in - 2 for guns and 1 for a king brown...let the thief work out which is which...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment