DIY Stainless Tumbler

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: DIY Stainless Tumbler

Post by deye243 » 27 Jan 2017, 2:56 pm

way to go and a lot cheaper than mine to build this is the style I will be doing soon
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 27 Jan 2017, 3:38 pm

Cheers mate.

Ended up doing a wet run this afternoon. Structurally it held up fine but water leaks from the front of the bucket where the lid attaches. I'm going to lower the motor mount and move it rearward slightly. Should give the bucket a more upward angle so it's less likely to leak.

On the plus side I only ran it for a couple minutes and the brass had already begun to clean up so looks like it will work once I sort the bugs out.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 28 Jan 2017, 6:59 pm

Played some more with the tumbler today. I cut the motor mount down a bit which gave the bucket a downward angle. Then I filed part of the motor driveshaft down. There was originally a step on it which stopped me from being able to do the nut up all the way. With this gone I was able to really clamp the nut down.

I ran the tumbler for about 35 minutes with 50 .308 cases, 250ml of water, some media, squirt of washing liquid and about a teaspoon of citric acid.

The results were a bit mixed. The disruptor fins were both detached from the bucket, I'll pop rivet them on tomorrow. I had very minimal leakage so that problem appears to be fixed. The cases came out pretty well clean but weren't shiny and neither the insides of the case or primer pockets were cleaned.

I'd expect to run the tumbler at least an hour so I'm not surprised the results aren't the greatest. When I run it next it will be for longer and I'll also add more media because very little seemed to actually get inside the cases.

As a function test it was a success though, the tumbler is mechanically sound and as water proof as it needs to be. Now I just have to get the mix of cleaning products right and it should work well.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 28 Jan 2017, 11:34 pm

for such a small amount 1/2 a tea spoon of CA will be plenty and try just tuning it on and leaving it for 2 hours

then the primer pockets and it inside of the cases will be clean as well , with mine when full there would be so

much carbon I would have to change the water after an hour as the water would not hold any more crap and

don't forget to rinse the cases with clean water as CA is what is says it's an acid and it will leach the I think it's

zinc out of the brass and that is a big problem .

and because these tumblers make the brass so clean there is no carbon in the case neck anymore so you will

need some graphite to dip yjr necks in when sizing as the inside will bind ion the expander if you use one and

it will help for bullet seating .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 29 Jan 2017, 6:59 am

deye243 wrote:for such a small amount 1/2 a tea spoon of CA will be plenty and try just tuning it on and leaving it for 2 hours

then the primer pockets and it inside of the cases will be clean as well , with mine when full there would be so

much carbon I would have to change the water after an hour as the water would not hold any more crap and

don't forget to rinse the cases with clean water as CA is what is says it's an acid and it will leach the I think it's

zinc out of the brass and that is a big problem .

and because these tumblers make the brass so clean there is no carbon in the case neck anymore so you will

need some graphite to dip yjr necks in when sizing as the inside will bind ion the expander if you use one and

it will help for bullet seating .

Thanks for the tip :). I'll give it a whirl once I get the fins back on.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 29 Jan 2017, 9:50 am

Baldrick314 wrote:Now that I'm shooting again I've revisited this little project. After having a failure last time I tried to run it I've changed my design to eliminate some of the flaws.

First up I went to a smaller bucket, approximately half the size of the the original one. I figured the average load that will be run through this will be 50 .308 cases or 100 9mm cases so the extra room isn't really necessary.

I glued two disruptor fins inside to keep the media and cases moving

Hopefully if I can use a minimum of water everything will hold up and not leak too much.

in my opinion you need to add 4-6 more agressive disruptors, it's the mechanical action of the pins against the brass that does the cleaning and at the moment that's only happening twice per revolution and to only the cases against the sides of the drum.

I use these units, they cost about $120 when i bought them, i bought 2 so i'd have a spare when the first one died....it's still going

notice how little time there is in a rotation for the brass and pins to simply slide along the walls?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 29 Jan 2017, 11:00 am

Thanks Chronos. While I'm attaching the fins I might as well chuck in a few more.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 29 Jan 2017, 4:10 pm

Attached the disruptors this arvo. Used a lot of silicon to seal everything so I'll give it 24 hours to cure and give it a run tomorrow night. Thanks everyone for the advice so far.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 30 Jan 2017, 7:36 pm

Ran the tumbler today. I set out to run it for 2 hours. Checked after an hour and all was good. When I came back at 2 hours the nut on the motor driveshaft had come loose and the bucket was no longer turning. So it ran anywhere between 1 and 2 hours.

Not a great photo but the insides of the cases show majority cleaning with some residue still around flash hole.

Externally cleaned up well.

Primer pockets have begun to clean up but not fully there yet.

I'll use some thread locker on the driveshaft tomorrow and hopefully it won't come undone again. I think with a full 2 hour cycle the cases should clean up all the way.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment