Small 150kg gun safe

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Small 150kg gun safe

Post by Gazza1984 » 16 Feb 2016, 1:28 pm

I have bought an f class rifle and I am currently storing it at my local gun club. This is not ideal as its a communal safe and it was an expensive rifle. The problem with me getting a safe is that I can't bolt one down as I'm in a shared house. My room is too small for the 150kg safes that I've saw so far (570 mm wide is the smallest). Could anyone tell me is there any safe 300mm-400mm wide that is 150kg? I would like not to have to go down the custom route if possible.
Gazza1984
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Small 150kg gun safe

Post by Baronvonrort » 16 Feb 2016, 2:12 pm

The Spika SFABH is 560mm wide,405 deep 1500 high at 152 kg I don't think I have seen anything smaller over 150kg.

To get a smaller safe over 150Kg you will have to use thicker steel which might mean a custom job, steel is about 7800Kg per cubic meter so easy to calculate wall thickness required for size you desire.

I would rearrange your room to fit something like a SFABH in, if you can fit something 40cm wide then surely 56cm wide is not asking too much.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 16 Feb 2016, 7:12 pm

Hey, so random thought, but!

Why not get a safe in your dimensions and then put weights in there, to get it over the 150kg mark? Is that even allowed? I don't know - but seems logical and workable.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 18 Feb 2016, 10:26 am

Gazza1984 wrote:Could anyone tell me is there any safe 300mm-400mm wide that is 150kg?

None that I can think of.

All the safes over 150kg are 12-16 capacity or there abouts.

Never seen one in a 6-8 type size you're looking for.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chickenhawk » 01 Mar 2016, 2:51 pm

No lock up garage where you can bolt into the brick/concrete and fill in the holes after you go?
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Supporter » 13 Apr 2016, 11:55 am

Yelp wrote:None that I can think of.

All the safes over 150kg are 12-16 capacity or there abouts.

Never seen one in a 6-8 type size you're looking for.

Ditto, they're all more or less the same dimensions.

Give or take a few inches here or there.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by VICHunter » 25 Jul 2016, 9:24 am

juststarting wrote:Why not get a safe in your dimensions and then put weights in there, to get it over the 150kg mark? Is that even allowed? I don't know - but seems logical and workable.

There's that word "logical" again. We both know how our pollies are prone to skipping that when implementing laws don't we.

Adding weight to your safe would be a great solution for many, as several guys are doing here.

Get a few 25kg steel plates, stack as many in the bottom of the safe as required, take them out when you move. Makes perfect sense.

The wording of the act however is "if it weighs less than 150 kilograms when it is empty".

Buy the letter of the law it would not be a legal solution (even though it is a good one).
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 25 Jul 2016, 10:13 am

I faced this when moving from a rental i didn't care about ( hacked my first bolt in job, i'm certainly no chippie ) to a proper rental, i looked and looked and looked but as has been said heavy safes a big safes, i have a lokaway lch1 and it fits neatly in my side of the wardrobe
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Jul 2016, 7:21 pm

Solution Pt 1 + 2

Pt 1, Get a custom job done, cos you won't find what your lookin in a commercialy made safe.
I could make one for you, but you'd have to come pick it up.

Pt 2, If you want a list of sheet and plate steel in all available thicknesses with Kgs per square meter,,,,,,, PM me.

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jul 2016, 8:06 pm

VICHunter wrote:
juststarting wrote:Why not get a safe in your dimensions and then put weights in there, to get it over the 150kg mark? Is that even allowed? I don't know - but seems logical and workable.

There's that word "logical" again. We both know how our pollies are prone to skipping that when implementing laws don't we.

Adding weight to your safe would be a great solution for many, as several guys are doing here.

Get a few 25kg steel plates, stack as many in the bottom of the safe as required, take them out when you move. Makes perfect sense.

The wording of the act however is "if it weighs less than 150 kilograms when it is empty".

Buy the letter of the law it would not be a legal solution (even though it is a good one).

Thats what I would do. But I would bolt them in place and add a weld on the nuts/bolt(s ). Should make it compliant.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment