Electronic Ear Muffs

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Electronic Ear Muffs

Post by MalleeFarmer » 16 Feb 2016, 8:04 pm

Just thought I'd do a bit of a review on my 3M Peltor Tactical Sport.

So far they are great. I've only used them sighting in and load testing haven't used them in the field yet.

The amplification is great you can turn up to LOUD or dim until almost inaudible and you can clearly tell the direction a sound is coming from rather than just hear the sound which would be great hunting.

It also doesn't cut out when loud sounds happen it just compresses the sound to a bearable level so if you're at the range and yacking to the bloke next to you and someone 2 bays down fires a shot you don't have the issue of the conversation cutting in and out everytime someone fires a shot. Don't know how durable they'll be but so far they seem good!

They were about $200 on eBay. Dunno if I was ripped or not but they work good so I'm happy I'll give em 9/10
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1983 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Electronic Ear Muffs

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Jun 2016, 10:56 am

What NRR do they have? I do a lot of comp shooting and really struggle with the noise /concussion due to an acquired brain injury. I wear custom molded ear plugs and 26dB rated muffs, I was thinking of a set of electronic muffs that I can leave on all day as copping the odd blast without the protection( removed for conversation ) pretty well buggers me for the day.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 22 Jun 2016, 11:43 am

Once you go to electronic muffs you will not go back. If you are in a range or competition type environment they are very useful to where you can amplify sounds enough to converse with people or hear commands.

I started with a Howard Leight model that only has a 22 NRR reduction rating. They have been good but with a previous history of ear problems and tinnitus I felt I needed better protection so I moved to a Howard Leight model by Honeywell that has a 30 NRR. Plus when not in a competition environment where hearing commands is important, I usually double up with ear plugs as well.

I have used other Peltor products in the past and am happy with them but have not tried the electronic muffs yet.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Jun 2016, 9:47 am

They actually only have a NRR of 20db but I have had no issues with them. I used to use plugs or normal muffs and would often take them out to talk to someone and forget to put them back in. But sound quality can be mistaken for not even having muffs on also very good directional sound.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Sakoh » 08 Dec 2016, 9:39 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:They were about $200 on eBay. Dunno if I was ripped or not but they work good so I'm happy I'll give em 9/10

Some of them are $500 and more.

If they do the job you done good :thumbsup:
Sakoh
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment