Scope rings and mounts

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Scope rings and mounts

Post by YoungBuck » 20 Feb 2016, 2:14 pm

Hi All,

Having picked up my Ruger RF .22 WRM (http://www.ruger.com/products/americanR ... odels.html) last weekend, the GS didn't have any scope in stock that I wanted so I decided to get one separately.
Ended up buying a Nikko Stirling Gameking 4-16x50 AO (http://tinyurl.com/jyvovya) mid this week, it'll arrive mid next week. However I'm not sure about scope mounts and rings. I can find high profile (i think this is what I need?) on ebay for <$15, but are these likely to cause me dramas? Should I be looking at spending around $50-$65 for a pair for mounts and rings?
Advice from those with more experience with these things would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by YoungBuck on 20 Feb 2016, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Scope rings and mounts

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Feb 2016, 3:44 pm

G'day YoungBuck,
The lower cost rings will not be a problem on a rimfire. Are you intending on 3/8 clamp for the built in dovetail or are you going to fit bases? A set of Weaver bases and rings that you can keep if you upgrade to a centerfire may be a future investment, look at paying around the $50 to $70 for them, otherwise any clamp on set will work, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 20 Feb 2016, 8:07 pm

Hi No1Mk3, I was going to only get a couple of a pair of 3/8 mounts but I might look into a rail instead. Thanks for the advice.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 20 Feb 2016, 8:41 pm

If I were to put a weaver mount rail in the rifle, do you think I would still need High profile rings?
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 20 Feb 2016, 10:29 pm

You could try these http://www.sportsmatch-uk.com/images/Pr ... e/TO3C.jpg, I use these same mounts on my Anschutz 64 with no problems, I think they were around the $50 mark at my LGS, bloody good value :thumbsup: and there is not much wrong with your scope choice, I have one in 6-24, only complaint is when above 18-20 power the image is not the best but I find that the clarity is surprisingly good between 8-14 power even under a spotlight, definite value for money scope ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 21 Feb 2016, 12:12 pm

Have you bought some yet? I've got a pair of the 3/8 dovetail ones you can have if you pay for postage. They are 1" mounts not sure if your scope is 1" or 30mm
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 3003 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 21 Feb 2016, 3:53 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:Have you bought some yet? I've got a pair of the 3/8 dovetail ones you can have if you pay for postage. They are 1" mounts not sure if your scope is 1" or 30mm

Hi Mallee,

Wow very generous of you mate. No haven't bought any yet, have been struggling to find a picatinny rail for the rifle so was just going to buy a pair of dovetails similar to what you have in your hand. My scope has a 1" tube.
PM me your details.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 01 Mar 2016, 10:50 am

Forum spirit :thumbsup:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 14 Mar 2016, 10:23 am

How'd you get on youngbuck they do the trick?
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by hughston » 14 Mar 2016, 12:23 pm

Looks like the ruger American rim fire rifles are drilled and taped, I'd go with DNZ game reapers one piece mounts, they make for a very solid mount for any caliber and no need for piccyanose rails, eBay
hughston
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by ebr love » 16 Mar 2016, 10:38 am

Gregg wrote:Forum spirit :thumbsup:

This ones anyway :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40