Purchasing cleaning products online

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Purchasing cleaning products online

Post by Squiddy » 17 Mar 2016, 7:05 am

Ahoy,

I have just purchased an 8mm Mauser and a .177 air rifle, now I'm in the market for all my cleaning gear.

Just wondering what should be purchased online to keep the costs down? Hoppes and cleaning oils arent too badly priced at stores.

The cost of some things here are a bit ridiculous - Dewey cleaning rods are around $85 each with no accessories. Bore guide worth buying online also?

Also - is it worth purchasing a cleaning vice for cleaning? Or could a shooting rest for bench shooting also be used if I keep one hand on the rifle and was careful?
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Purchasing cleaning products online

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Mar 2016, 10:05 am

I would be in an awful lot of trouble, if my work-bench did not have a vise for holding my rifles. Having two free hands to guide the rod is just priceless.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Squiddy » 17 Mar 2016, 10:13 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:I would be in an awful lot of trouble, if my work-bench did not have a vise for holding my rifles. Having two free hands to guide the rod is just priceless.

Just found an MTM vise that doubles as bench rest.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/shooting-rests-sncr.php
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 17 Mar 2016, 10:24 am

I use a polystyrene box with two V shapes cut out to hold the rifle for cleaning. Purpose made gun vise would be nice though.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Lorgar » 17 Mar 2016, 12:27 pm

Squiddy wrote:Also - is it worth purchasing a cleaning vice for cleaning? Or could a shooting rest for bench shooting also be used if I keep one hand on the rifle and was careful?

Just me, but I'd never waste the money on a cleaning vice.

My hunting rifles I've always just done on their bipod with a clothe or pillow under the butt.

Bench rifle (no bipod mount) I just do on the front rest for it with something under the butt again.

That's all the vices are anyway, they don't make anything cleaner.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Mar 2016, 12:43 pm

I heave MTM thing, it's good! Though I wouldn't use it as a bench test for shooting... Anything with decent recoil and it would pop apart or crack the plastic.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Mar 2016, 4:02 pm

G'day Squiddy,
The MTM GunVise is a good product and fairly priced, I've had one for years and use it for cleaning and maintenance. I also have a piece of 6x1 pine 4 foot long with 6" verticals 2' 6" apart with U slots lined with felt. Cost about $6 for wood, screws, glue plus a little time. Works just as good as the MTM. As for buying online, a Dewey rod will still cost $85 from most online sellers, but jump on ebay and there are some for around $40 to $50. Gun show in Altona Nth next month will also have a few to look at, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Mar 2016, 4:10 pm

Use metric!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Mar 2016, 12:51 pm

G'day juststarting,
I wanted to be inclusive of our American friends who still use the Imperial system, also, when I sat my Trade Certificate we had the option of using an Imperial exam paper or a Metric one. I have exercised my option! Be thankful I didn't use Arshins.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Mar 2016, 12:56 pm

Arshins is the same as imperial, with finer granularity. Use metric!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Vati » 07 Apr 2016, 4:08 pm

Lorgar wrote:Just me, but I'd never waste the money on a cleaning vice.

My hunting rifles I've always just done on their bipod with a clothe or pillow under the butt.

Bench rifle (no bipod mount) I just do on the front rest for it with something under the butt again.

That's all the vices are anyway, they don't make anything cleaner.

The ones for break open shotties are handy, agree with the above for rifles though.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 14 Apr 2016, 4:37 am

juststarting wrote:Arshins is the same as imperial, with finer granularity. Use metric!

As an American I'd like to point out that we got a man to the moon and back, several times, using miles, feet, inches, pounds and gallons. Since we switched to metric for NASA we've not gone anywhere.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by juststarting » 14 Apr 2016, 9:15 am

Yes, units of measure, that must be it :) Also, I am fairly sure it was only once. Unless we are talking about different moons, in which case you said too much and we are all in danger now. 8-)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 14 Apr 2016, 9:20 am

No, you are correct. I will now preserve that post as a testament to my ignorance and a reminder not be ignorant again. Awkward.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 14 Apr 2016, 10:25 am

As an American I'd like to point out that we got a man to the moon and back, several times, using miles, feet, inches, pounds and gallons. Since we switched to metric for NASA we've not gone anywhere.

:allegedly: :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 26 Apr 2016, 11:56 am

GLS_1956 wrote:As an American I'd like to point out that we got a man to the moon and back, several times, using miles, feet, inches, pounds and gallons. Since we switched to metric for NASA we've not gone anywhere.

Just means they can't understand it, not that there is anything wrong with it :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment