Storage - Different Security Options & Ideas

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Storage - Different Security Options & Ideas

Post by Rakk » 18 Apr 2016, 3:04 pm

Shed on fire? :wtf:
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by darwindingo » 03 Jun 2016, 9:59 pm

This is what I have done. Its not a concealed safe as such, more of a concealed improvement to the safe.

I keep my override key off site underground in a (grease filled to prevent corrosion) piece of copper pipe with end caps.

Not that if I gave anyone the key or even the code for that matter, that they would be able to open my safe. :D

This is due to a simple modification I made to it that added an additional electronic solenoid (positioned in such a way that would also help defeat solenoid bumping attempts, not that’s an issue when its bolted in)..

The basic theory of how the modification works (for anyone that is interested) is as follows,

First add another solenoid that inhibits the mechanism mounted in a different direction than the existing one (that’s what mitigates the solenoid bumping risk).

Clearly the additional solenoid requires a power source to operate; this is achieved by an external power source suitably rated for the solenoid (one that plugs in to the safe so that battery power never becomes an issue).

Then in series from the power source you add several (alarm style) magnetic reed switches (3-4 whatever you like really) positioned in different internal locations on the accessible faces of the safe (locations that only you know). *Note.. to cover your BUT in the unlikely event of magnetic relay failure its best to place two in each location in parallel configuration (that way if one failed the other will still complete the circuit).

Now, to deactivate the additional protective mechanism, you simply place the required number of small but powerful rare earth magnets in their required external positions while the (external) power source is present and proceed with code entry or override key use as normal…

Very little chance of anyone even knowing that it’s required, let alone figuring out the required placement of each magnet if they did?

It could also be effective in giving the illusion of compliance (if you or a loved one found yourself “forced” to input the code! Under Duress) and could then say well that’s the code you can hear for yourself its unlocking!, I don’t know WTF the problem is ??? :unknown:

This is just what I did, its probably considered excessive..

Sorry for the long post to convey the idea..

Btw.. Be sure to test it thoroughly before closing it all up!! :thumbsup:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by adam » 04 Jun 2016, 9:56 am

Interesting idea Jeff - thanks for sharing.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment