Storage - Different Security Options & Ideas

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Storage - Different Security Options & Ideas

Post by Gwion » 04 Apr 2016, 11:43 am

Beyond the registry, i think taking details down in an exercise book at the LGS is just an absurd breach of privacy and personal security.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by scotty87 » 04 Apr 2016, 8:35 pm

cut the back out of a fridge box and put it over your safe, stack other noisy or heavy worthless objects around it, weights, barbells, car parts etc.

live around old people with nicer toys, thieves are less likely to target your bust arse bolt action when they can just back your neighbours 200 series up to his $100,000 offroad camper and drive away under a few minutes.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 05 Apr 2016, 2:04 pm

Couch bunker = Awesome
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 06 Apr 2016, 9:12 am

Do not under estimate the effect of a dog or two. In populated areas they don't have to be big, just noisy. In more remote areas, some size helps but better if they live inside. Try breaking into a house with a couple of large and protective mutts waiting inside.

I also like the idea of a well concealed and lockable cellar/bunker. No chance of retro fitting one to a house on a concrete slab but very doable in a build.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Chronos » 06 Apr 2016, 10:13 am

Our safe storage requirements are there to stop kids and guests getting acces to your guns, nothing more. Not many of the safes we use would keep anyone out for long and if they're serious enough to come around specifically after firearms id rather them get the gear and leave than be waiting when I or my wife get home.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 06 Apr 2016, 10:27 am

Chronos wrote:Our safe storage requirements are there to stop kids and guests getting acces to your guns, nothing more. Not many of the safes we use would keep anyone out for long and if they're serious enough to come around specifically after firearms id rather them get the gear and leave than be waiting when I or my wife get home.

Chronos

You have a good point there.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Supporter » 13 Apr 2016, 11:51 am

Chronos wrote:Our safe storage requirements are there to stop kids and guests getting acces to your guns, nothing more.

And opportunistic thieves, that's actually more the point IMO.

Your average burglar isn't walking around with a 5ft crow bar and angle grinder, more likely just a screwdriver or similar to bugger a lock or pop a window with.

They're not getting into any gun safe with a pocket size flat head.

But I agree with your other point, if thieves come prepared with the purposes of opening a safe, better safes add time required to crack them causing crims to hopefully give up, run out of time or be dissuaded. But there is no 100% guarantee.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by safeshot » 14 Apr 2016, 5:22 pm

The safe properly attached to structure but inside a cupboard ie out of general site of stray visitors has to be the go. Avoid leaving gun stuff lthat is magazines lying about the house for stray visitors to see and blab about.
Just driving around I have seen a safe (once) inside a guys shed from the road. (!) In that shed were probably angle grinders etc.
Another give away was a CZ rifle box sticking up out of a guys rubbish bin.
Sheds are bad location too as they get cold and you can then get moisture condensing on the steel parts. This can still happen to inside safes so to counter condensation anyways I have a moisture absorber thing x Remington which can be plugged in and dried out once its shows it has absorbed all it can. I have had it for some years and it seems to work fine.
The endplay is a safe buys time and the dipsticks have to make a lot of noise getting in out or open.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by happyhunter » 14 Apr 2016, 6:16 pm

Sheds are a really bad idea in rural areas. Around here shed breakins are common, house burgs are rare.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by juststarting » 14 Apr 2016, 11:23 pm

This had to be done!

---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 15 Apr 2016, 6:43 am

happyhunter wrote:Sheds are a really bad idea in rural areas. Around here shed breakins are common, house burgs are rare.

Hi def cameras that are well concealed.

You might not stop the pricks but you can sure as hell catch 'em!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stubbles McBeard » 15 Apr 2016, 8:54 am

happyhunter wrote:Sheds are a really bad idea in rural areas. Around here shed breakins are common, house burgs are rare.

One of my mates is fifo, he had his motos and trailer stolen out of his shed when he was away, then they came back a few months later and took his guns. They just pulled the safe off the floor with a Ute, chucked it on the back, set his shed on fire and f***ed off. Sheds are a bad idea for gun storage in rural areas.
Stubbles McBeard
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Rakk » 18 Apr 2016, 3:04 pm

Shed on fire? :wtf:
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by darwindingo » 03 Jun 2016, 9:59 pm

This is what I have done. Its not a concealed safe as such, more of a concealed improvement to the safe.

I keep my override key off site underground in a (grease filled to prevent corrosion) piece of copper pipe with end caps.

Not that if I gave anyone the key or even the code for that matter, that they would be able to open my safe. :D

This is due to a simple modification I made to it that added an additional electronic solenoid (positioned in such a way that would also help defeat solenoid bumping attempts, not that’s an issue when its bolted in)..

The basic theory of how the modification works (for anyone that is interested) is as follows,

First add another solenoid that inhibits the mechanism mounted in a different direction than the existing one (that’s what mitigates the solenoid bumping risk).

Clearly the additional solenoid requires a power source to operate; this is achieved by an external power source suitably rated for the solenoid (one that plugs in to the safe so that battery power never becomes an issue).

Then in series from the power source you add several (alarm style) magnetic reed switches (3-4 whatever you like really) positioned in different internal locations on the accessible faces of the safe (locations that only you know). *Note.. to cover your BUT in the unlikely event of magnetic relay failure its best to place two in each location in parallel configuration (that way if one failed the other will still complete the circuit).

Now, to deactivate the additional protective mechanism, you simply place the required number of small but powerful rare earth magnets in their required external positions while the (external) power source is present and proceed with code entry or override key use as normal…

Very little chance of anyone even knowing that it’s required, let alone figuring out the required placement of each magnet if they did?

It could also be effective in giving the illusion of compliance (if you or a loved one found yourself “forced” to input the code! Under Duress) and could then say well that’s the code you can hear for yourself its unlocking!, I don’t know WTF the problem is ??? :unknown:

This is just what I did, its probably considered excessive..

Sorry for the long post to convey the idea..

Btw.. Be sure to test it thoroughly before closing it all up!! :thumbsup:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by adam » 04 Jun 2016, 9:56 am

Interesting idea Jeff - thanks for sharing.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment