Gun safes Spika and Lokaway

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Gun safes Spika and Lokaway

Post by pete1 » 29 Apr 2016, 1:33 pm

Hey,

So i know theirs many brands of gun safes out there but I've being looking at two brands lately Spika and Lokaway, both seem to be pretty good for the price and was wondering has anyone used them and/or got any comments on them.

Thanks
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Gun safes Spika and Lokaway

Post by brett1868 » 29 Apr 2016, 2:04 pm

I have a couple of the Lok Away LCH2's which are fine and I got at a massive discount due to a change of paint between models. The new model has a crinkle style paint job whilst mine are gloss black, I'm sure the guns don't care. I don't know much about the Spika's but there is a brand (Sentry) with a digital combo lock that can be broken into within seconds using a strip of thin metal. These are the ones that have the reset button on the hinged end of the door, apparently you can slip a metal strip in and manipulate the reset button and the combo gets set back to default. There's some excellent safe cracking videos on YouTube, search for "breaking into gun safe".
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 29 Apr 2016, 2:09 pm

Firstly, I'd suggest that you avoid the ones being advertised on fleabay in case they come across your thought desk.

I had an opportunity to visit a warehouse where they can be collected after purchase and they aren't what I would buy.

Also, maybe because I'm old fashioned, I'm not keen on the digital keypad variety.

The brands you've mentioned are both great quality. I've got a 18 gun Spika safe on its way.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 29 Apr 2016, 2:52 pm

Most importantly...DON'T Believe the states capacity. If they state 10 guns then it'll probably fit 5 so buy the biggest you can afford :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by HulkFury » 29 Apr 2016, 8:58 pm

Got the Spika Limited 6 Gun safe for $250 from HPGS, pretty good for the price, the lokaway looked a bit nicer, but I'm on a budget.

Only 2 rear and 2 bottom holes, included bolts are too fat and short.
HulkFury
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 29 Apr 2016, 11:12 pm

bentaz wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Most importantly...DON'T Believe the states capacity. If they state 10 guns then it'll probably fit 5 so buy the biggest you can afford :)

Ive got 12 single shotguns in a 5 gun safe.

Maybe that's how they size them, technically the only proper "Gun" is a shotgun. Measured in gun capacity and not rifle capacity....
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 30 Apr 2016, 7:48 am

I've got a lokaway lch2 i think, its awesome, solid big enough for me 14 gun and has a good little compartment for stuff and then a locking ammo box as most does, but i find it a bit small.

Happy with it though, the spikas seem a littlr cheap and flimsy to me
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by scope » 05 May 2016, 2:41 pm

I was literally about to create a thread with this topic.
I'm was in the same boat where I couldn't decide between the two brands. Spika are slightly cheaper - but I think Lokaway are better build quality from what I've touched and viewed at the LGS. The swing and slide door feels really solid and I like the idea of a handle to open the door and I'm assuming to retract the locking bolts. The Spika S3 uses the Key.

Narrowed down to a safe of each company. But have decided and ordered a Lokaway 3K.

Spika S3 (Cheapest $465)- https://spika.com.au/product/large-spik ... lackstone/
Lokaway LOK3K (Cheapest $550) - http://lokawaysafes.com.au/product/lok3k/

If the Lokaway holds less firearms (smaller safe) and weighs more, to me that hints better build quality and design. The Lokaway is Australian owned, but is manufactured off shore.
Whats with the name scope?
It's a long story, 9 stitches long.
scope
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 05 May 2016, 3:43 pm

Both look fine to me though I'm biased towards the Lokaway since that's the brand I have. One factor possibly not considered by many is the actual dollar value of your stored firearms. I won't go into specifics of what I've spent on firearms but take into consideration that there maybe upwards of $10,000 worth of kit to keep safe. When evaluating a safe ask yourself if you'd be comfortable storing cash to the value of your firearms in it. As a rough guide, safe keeping runs about %10 the cost of firearms stored at capacity.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 05 May 2016, 7:36 pm

I have a couple of lokaway safes and very happy with them, although I have to remove the bolts from the rifles to get them to all fit inside the safe.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Modena » 05 May 2016, 9:51 pm

I have the lokaway, it seemed like better quality to me, I like the slide door, and more importantly (for me) it has a higher internal available height, which is important for storing long target rifles.
Modena
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by adam » 06 May 2016, 8:27 am

bentaz wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Most importantly...DON'T Believe the states capacity. If they state 10 guns then it'll probably fit 5 so buy the biggest you can afford :)

Ive got 12 single shotguns in a 5 gun safe.

Let me guess... you're one of the people who engineer the packaging of goods into boxes - the same packaging that once I open up and take something out - I can never figure out how to get it all back in the box the right way again. ;) :lol:
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 06 May 2016, 1:08 pm

Let me guess... you're one of the people who engineer the packaging of goods into boxes - the same packaging that once I open up and take something out - I can never figure out how to get it all back in the box the right way again. ;) :lol:

I was thinking "Tent Designer" :) I always have to roll the bastard up 2-3 times before I can get it back in the bag.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rakk » 06 May 2016, 1:45 pm

Roll it up in a big ball and tie it on he roof racks, sort it out at home instead :lol:
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by VICHunter » 16 May 2016, 2:46 pm

brett1868 wrote:
bentaz wrote:Ive got 12 single shotguns in a 5 gun safe.

Maybe that's how they size them, technically the only proper "Gun" is a shotgun. Measured in gun capacity and not rifle capacity....

Most of them look like they must work on barrelled actions only with no stock :lol:

If your some strange kind of person who wants to fit an assembled, scoped rifle in there though you need to half the capacity :lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment