Surely not! lol

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Surely not! lol

Post by Rakk » 02 May 2016, 3:44 pm

elephant-mounted-machine-gun-1914.jpg
elephant-mounted-machine-gun-1914.jpg (44.77 KiB) Viewed 2806 times

:lol:
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Surely not! lol

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 May 2016, 5:17 pm

No, neat photo though. You can see that the gun is not restrained to the elephant in any way to stop movement from recoil, so it has been posed for effect. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 May 2016, 6:20 pm

yeah I think it was more of an improvised mount... but interesting none the less... history? Africa or India??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 02 May 2016, 7:08 pm

Ears look like an Indian elephant. African elephant has much bigger ears.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 May 2016, 7:18 pm

telegraph poles.....so probably more likely india
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by pomemax » 02 May 2016, 11:34 pm

An American corporal aims a Colt M1895 atop a Sri Lankan elephant. The reason why the corporal is atop the elephant is a mystery but elephants were never a weapons platform adopted by the US Army. It’s probably a publicity picture, not something the army would actually try to employ. The elephant would not respond well to the sound of that machine gun a few inches from his ears.

Nevertheless, the elephants were used in war since ancients times, but with the advent of gunpowder warfare in 15th century the advantage for war elephants on the battlefield began to change. War elephants were usually deployed in the center of the line, where they could be useful to prevent a charge or to conduct one of their own. Their sheer size and their terrifying appearance made them valued heavy cavalry. Off the battlefield, they could carry heavy materiel and provided a useful means of transport before mechanized vehicles rendered them mostly obsolete. Into the 20th century, non-battle-trained elephants were used for other military purposes as late as World War II, particularly because the animals could perform tasks in regions that were problematic for modern vehicles.

The gun is John Moses Browning’s M1895 Colt-Browning machine gun, nicknamed “Potato Digger”. The M1895 was developed by John Browning during the 1890s, it was a belt-fed, air cooled, gas operated machine gun with a cyclic rate of 450 rounds per minute. As the weapon was air cooled it did not require a water cooling system, as a result it was much lighter weighing just 17 kg (35 lbs). Gas pressure generated by ignited cartridges could be pulled from the barrel through a small opening leading into a cylinder. This force could provide an “automatic” mechanical action which drove a lever-action type arm. The movement of the arm required some eight inches of clearance at the underside of the weapon, lest the gun dig itself into the dirt. It was this action that gave rise to the weapon’s popular nickname of “Potato Digger”. The gun was moderately successful, but not outstanding.
JUst searched for the image on google
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 29 Jul 2016, 8:46 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:telegraph poles.....so probably more likely india

afghanistan ?
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jul 2016, 10:11 pm

Gwion wrote:Ears look like an Indian elephant. African elephant has much bigger ears.

Ear Ear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Errrrrrrr, I meant Here Here or maybe even Hear Hear.

:D
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 30 Jul 2016, 10:21 pm

That'd make for one deaf elephant
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-