A random thought on "gunsafe" dampness

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

A random thought on "gunsafe" dampness

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Jul 2016, 9:45 pm

A lot of people seem to have problems with dampness in their safe.
I'm wondering if there may be some correlation with having the safe bolted down (when on concrete floors)

It could be very easy for unwary and uninitiated people, when drilling for the masonry anchour bolts to actually pierce
the damp proof membrane.
Even worse,, to not only pierce the membrane, but to actually break right through the slab itself. (some slabs aren't all that thick)
especially in homes, sheds, that have been built by owner builders.

In a situation like that, there is then a direct path for moisture to rise into a gun safe.
Very feasible.

If you think that the possibility of piercing the membrane or drilling right through the slab exists,,,
A good solution would be to use "Chemi Set Studs" instead of a normal masonry anchor bolt.

As the glue compound is mixed and sets in the hole with the stud,, it seals itself against any rising damp.

Just my two bobs worth for a solution. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: A random thought on "gunsafe" dampness

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jul 2016, 11:22 pm

Considering how wet it is down here all the time I've been keeping an eye on my stuff and haven't seen any rust or moisture. But all my rifles are in gun socks, primarily because it's the only way I can fit them in the safe - I need a much bigger safe :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 01 Aug 2016, 10:27 am

I've got one of those moisture absorbing blocks that seem to work pretty good and helps if there in socks and bags as well.
Often the concrete foundations go deeper where the walls are, where your slab may be only 100mm thick, so if you put the safe to a structural wall you can drill deeper with out going into dirt, sand or gravel depending on how good the builder is.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wade06 » 01 Aug 2016, 11:56 am

I just installed a Lokaway 5-7 safe on the weekend.
Should i use a dedicated humidifier ($60 or so) or just use the cheap moisture absorbing flakes you can buy at bunnings and replace them every 6 months?
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Adlippy » 01 Aug 2016, 12:42 pm

wade06 wrote:I just installed a Lokaway 5-7 safe on the weekend.
Should i use a dedicated humidifier ($60 or so) or just use the cheap moisture absorbing flakes you can buy at bunnings and replace them every 6 months?

I picked up my new safe a few weeks ago, had that much condensation in it I could have swam laps.
I brought from Woolies a $7 moisture absorbing bucket thingy called Hippo or something, its near the JIFF cleaning stuff etc and I found 2 "rechargable" dehumidifer off ebay for $47 (for both), Spika and Remington both have the same product online for $60 for one, looks the same as my cheap ones just without the pretty stickers. ALL moisture has gone, I check it every few days to make sure before my new toys show up
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 10 Aug 2016, 1:40 pm

Never thought of it before to be honest but there is some sense in all that.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Aug 2016, 1:47 pm

I just use a reptile heater in mine also run a seal around the door to help keep moisture out seems to work well no rust issues anywhere at all I also wipe all my firearms down with lanox and also the bore.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Aug 2016, 1:48 pm

I just use a reptile heater in mine also run a seal around the door to help keep moisture out seems to work well no rust issues anywhere at all I also wipe all my firearms down with lanox and also the bore.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by pete1 » 10 Aug 2016, 2:15 pm

I kept the gunsafe box and cut the back out of it so it sits over and keeps a little bit of dust and moisture out, plus hides it as it looks like a box in the corner.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 10 Aug 2016, 2:30 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I just use a reptile heater in mine also run a seal around the door to help keep moisture out seems to work well no rust issues anywhere at all I also wipe all my firearms down with lanox and also the bore.

Rubber seal?
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Aug 2016, 4:10 pm

Wobble wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I just use a reptile heater in mine also run a seal around the door to help keep moisture out seems to work well no rust issues anywhere at all I also wipe all my firearms down with lanox and also the bore.

Rubber seal?

Yeah mate you can buy rubber seals in rolls from Bunnings or any other Hardware, they use em for sealing doors/windows from drafts etc, they have a self adhesive backing, so quick and simple to install and cost a few $$ so a cheap mod that seems to work fine, my firearms are nice and warm in their little metal box considering we can get -8 or more temps in my part of the world and we've had nearly 3mths of rain (flat out having sunny days until this last week) which has been a real nice change (f***ing sick of the rain) can't get into the paddocks its that bloody wet you could literally go for a swim in some of em around here and still can with water still sitting on top of em everywhere. :unknown:

This is the type of one I use and comes in diff versions of thickness/width etc :thumbsup:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/raven-8-x-1 ... p_p3970014
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Aug 2016, 11:45 pm

pete1 wrote:I kept the gunsafe box and cut the back out of it so it sits over and keeps a little bit of dust and moisture out, plus hides it as it looks like a box in the corner.

A box that says "Gun Safe" and a picture of it no doubt ???????
:silent:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 11 Aug 2016, 12:02 am

Which heater you using? I was looking at the Reptile One 50w 12v Fan heater, then thought about heat mats or heat wire but they are 240v. I like the fan idea as I already have 12v wired internally for lighting and the fan should help circulate and dry the air.

http://www.reptileone.com.au/products/heating/46541
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2016, 12:20 am

brett1868 wrote:

Which heater you using? I was looking at the Reptile One 50w 12v Fan heater, then thought about heat mats or heat wire but they are 240v. I like the fan idea as I already have 12v wired internally for lighting and the fan should help circulate and dry the air.

http://www.reptileone.com.au/products/heating/46541

Not sure of what brand Brett, its a wire that I just drap near the barrels etc, seems to keep it warm in there without being too hot if you know what I mean. It's a 240v job, I just poked a hole in the bottom of the safe and fed it through, simple and seems to do the job fine, not sure how many watts it is either, I think around 25w but not 100% sure now.

That one you are looking at should work I would imagine, not sure how bulky it is or whether you might bump a rifle on it if that's a concern to you or not? I just used what I had laying around as my safe was bloody cold inside and the wife had this thing laying around doing nothing so figured I'd acquire it and repurpose it. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Varmtr » 14 Aug 2016, 1:14 am

Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment