Concerned about Storage safe

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Concerned about Storage safe

Post by Tomek » 21 Aug 2016, 11:30 pm

Slight mistake. Only one of these 4.5 inch noggins behind the top holes.

House was built around 1994. The wall is the back of the wardrobe in my room and behind it is the wardrobe of another room. The walls don't have any power points on them or perpendicular to them. It seems like the same width of wooden beam that I see on the roof under the tiles.

I found the same type of nogging between two other rooms in a normal wall. That one seems to be 5.5 inches wide. Both are at 120cm above the ground.

It's freaky that the middle of this beam lines up exactly with the top back holes of the safe.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 21 Aug 2016, 11:46 pm

Oh well... Let's go get too concerned about it all.... Whack a screw in there!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2016, 7:22 am

Tomek wrote:Slight mistake. Only one of these 4.5 inch noggins behind the top holes.

House was built around 1994. The wall is the back of the wardrobe in my room and behind it is the wardrobe of another room. The walls don't have any power points on them or perpendicular to them. It seems like the same width of wooden beam that I see on the roof under the tiles.

I found the same type of nogging between two other rooms in a normal wall. That one seems to be 5.5 inches wide. Both are at 120cm above the ground.

It's freaky that the middle of this beam lines up exactly with the top back holes of the safe.

It might be that they've run nogs "on the flat" along the join of the wall sheeting then.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Aug 2016, 8:13 am

I always bolt them to the floor and walls and generally use more than the min required in size bolt and No. of bolts used, I put them in the corner always that way I have 3 sides to anchor it too, also make levering it a hell of a lot harder to do.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 22 Aug 2016, 8:58 am

bladeracer wrote:
Tomek wrote:Slight mistake. Only one of these 4.5 inch noggins behind the top holes.

It might be that they've run nogs "on the flat" along the join of the wall sheeting then.

Tippin' you've got it there!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2016, 9:25 am

bigfellascott wrote:I always bolt them to the floor and walls and generally use more than the min required in size bolt and No. of bolts used, I put them in the corner always that way I have 3 sides to anchor it too, also make levering it a hell of a lot harder to do.

I used to have my pistol safe in a corner like that and always found access awkward. With the rifle safes I prefer to leave a gap from a side wall and bolt into the back and the floor, then I can stash my hard cases in the gap alongside the safe.
I have a steel ammo cabinet on the wall next to the safe, and another above my loading bench for primers, powders and primed brass.

In WA the requirements for ammunition storage is the same as for firearms, you need another safe for your ammo. And another for powder if you reload as you can't store powder with ammunition, primers or firearms.

http://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/Hansard ... -4863a.pdf

As has been stated above, we can only take reasonable precautions, if somebody really wants our firearms (or anything else we own) they will get them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Aug 2016, 4:57 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Gamerancher on 22 Aug 2016, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Tomek » 22 Aug 2016, 8:56 pm

Gamerancher wrote:What's on the other side of the wall? Not unusual for a builder to put a 4"x 2" horizontally if there is a need to mount something, i.e taps? With one high and one low makes me wonder if there isn't some plumbing on the other side. :unknown:

Actually, there is just one high one at 120cm. The other side of this closet wall is the other rooms closet. There's no taps, powerpoints or switches on the wall or perpendicular to it.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Aug 2016, 11:30 pm

Couple of 10 mm coach screws then.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 29 Sep 2016, 1:25 pm

Tomek wrote:It's freaky that the middle of this beam lines up exactly with the top back holes of the safe.

Destiny :mrgreen:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by WayneO » 29 Sep 2016, 4:14 pm

4 lengths of 18mm threaded bar through the wall and bolted to a 3.5mm steel plate in the other room. Cupboard locked, sensor with 2 separate sirens inside the cupboard connected to a UPS and the mancave door is locked.
If they want them they will find a way to get them, but I will make it as hard as I can for them to get them.
Oh yes, and there is a camera in the room as well.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tomek » 01 Oct 2016, 2:30 am

In the end, there was no nogging. s**ty stud finder.
So i have 4 bolts in the concrete ( apparently 700kg each). And with a piece of wood between the safe and the wall, there's now two toggle bolts which have maximum loads of around 60kg each. This feels sturdy now without wobbling.
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment