Brownells Australia - Anyone bought from them?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Brownells Australia - Anyone bought from them?

Post by trumpychris » 08 Sep 2016, 2:43 pm

Just wondering if anyone here has ordered anything from Brownells Australia and how you have found the service? I placed an order on the 1st of Sep, it is now 7 full days later and the order status still says pending.

Its great that we have another player in the game here in Australia, but they have to live up to the same expectation as their parent store.
President - Law Abiding Firearm Owners Inc. - lafo.com.au

Guns = Way too many to list
Favourite Rifle = Parker Hale 1861 Enfield Musketoon .577
Favourite Handgun = Ruger SR1911 .45acp
trumpychris
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Anyone bought from Brownells.com.au?

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2016, 2:54 pm

trumpychris wrote:Just wondering if anyone here has ordered anything from Brownells Australia and how you have found the service? I placed an order on the 1st of Sep, it is now 7 full days later and the order status still says pending.

Its great that we have another player in the game here in Australia, but they have to live up to the same expectation as their parent store.

Yep, service was very good.
Maybe email them?
Did you tell them to backorder if not in stock?
Pretty good email to keep me in the loop as well.
Ordered 25th July.
1st August message that they've arrived in Australia from Iowa warehouse.
2nd August message that goods are at Aussie Border Force for inspection.
8th August message that goods have arrived at Aussie warehouse ready for despatch.
8th August message that goods have been despatched.
I think I received them August 10th.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trumpychris » 08 Sep 2016, 3:45 pm

bladeracer wrote:
trumpychris wrote:Just wondering if anyone here has ordered anything from Brownells Australia and how you have found the service? I placed an order on the 1st of Sep, it is now 7 full days later and the order status still says pending.

Yep, service was very good.
Maybe email them?
Did you tell them to backorder if not in stock?
Pretty good email to keep me in the loop as well.
Ordered 25th July.
1st August message that they've arrived in Australia from Iowa warehouse.
2nd August message that goods are at Aussie Border Force for inspection.
8th August message that goods have arrived at Aussie warehouse ready for despatch.
8th August message that goods have been despatched.
I think I received them August 10th.

Thanks for that.

I dropped them an email and I will see what happens. I have bough heaps of goodies from the stateside store and was very pleased.

trumpychris
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 08 Sep 2016, 4:27 pm

Haven't bought from them but Brownells.com.au is run by the guys from shooters wholesale warehouse - shooters.com.au who have been good to deal with
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 08 Sep 2016, 4:42 pm

Anything you order comes from the US, emails say around 10 days for orders and I got my order in around 10 days

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 08 Sep 2016, 7:45 pm

I've bought a fair bit from shoters wholesale and only one order with browells.com.au. They dont hold any stock and order in big batches montly so they only pay shipping and taxes once and split across multiple orders. They can take a while to get things in but have always filled my orders eventually. The last thing i was waiting for was out of stock in the US and took a while. They're one of the best to get hard to find bits, sometimes it takes time to get the right bits.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by brett1868 » 08 Sep 2016, 8:11 pm

I checked 6 items....all were out of stock and no backorder...hmmm
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 09 Sep 2016, 6:43 am

Bought some measuring gear for jackets. As the specs on the product write up were a bit vague I emailed them and they got right back to me, checked the product and then got one in just to check. Once specs were confirmed the purchase was fast and delivery was within three days.
All good in my point of view.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 09 Sep 2016, 11:19 am

I have bought a few times from Brownells service always 100% ,delivery is always faster than the stated time any questions about your order use the live chat (take into consideration time difference they are on mid western i think ) they will issue a tracking number use it, they get to Australia in about 3/4 days then get held up for anything up to 2/3 weeks at customs if they are firearm parts but reloading gear or just genral stuff 10 day max
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 09 Sep 2016, 11:47 am

brett1868 wrote:I checked 6 items....all were out of stock and no backorder...hmmm

Same here. Checked bunch of stuff, all out of stock, no backorder :(
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 09 Sep 2016, 1:09 pm

Bought some 1911 parts recently, all arrived in about 10 days, no issues what so ever.

Their site is slow but it looks like it connects to the American site to receive the updates on stock.

It's one of the backups I have now.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 10 Sep 2016, 1:03 am

I Just realized you said brownell,s AUSTRALIA I never knew they had a outlet here just looked at the web site very slow
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Sep 2016, 8:32 am

pomemax wrote:I Just realized you said brownell,s AUSTRALIA I never knew they had a outlet here just looked at the web site very slow

It's not an outlet exactly, it's Brownells US but run through an interface that makes it appear AU-centric, Aussie dollars and removing anything that might turn a law-abiding Aussie into an evil American if we saw it.
Yep, it is ridiculously slow.
But it does the job and I will certainly use it again.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trumpychris » 23 Sep 2016, 11:08 am

I have been waiting for 3 week now. They should be here in a few days hopefully.

trumpychris
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 23 Sep 2016, 11:15 am

I've ordered a 308 headspace guage, as a little test order. Site said it will be 10 days waiting time, I am upto 6 days. Plus p&h locally... Should be interesting. Will update when I get it.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 25 Sep 2016, 5:23 pm

Brownells no but Cabelas yes.. Grewat service etc - puts the service in the local GS here to shame...cheers
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bruce » 14 Oct 2016, 3:51 pm

Hi,

I am Bruce from Brownells Australia.

To give a little information about how the system works:-

The local website is, as pointed out by bladeracer, AU-centric. We are trying to make sure that of the extensive product list that is available in USA, we deliver only legal parts to the Australian Market. All prices are in Aus $ and include GST. Local shipping is very cost effective and calculated based on weight during the checkout process.

Currently shipments are sent from the warehouse in Grinnell IOWA on a weekly basis and this is in the process of changing to 2 shipments per week. (Mondays and Thursdays)

Based on past purchase history we are expanding a local Inventory of the more popular items and we are currently working with Brownells head office to ship hazardous items like aerosols and bluing equipment sea freight, so they also will be available to the Australian market from local stock. Items in stock in the local warehouse will ship the same or next business day.

The only delays we experience in delivery arise from "Australian Border Force" and the mine field that clearing products of this nature entails. That combined with the current industrial action they have undertaken and it causes many headaches.

The website may be a little slow at times due to the quite heavy local use, but also as it brings live stock availability status directly from the warehouse in Iowa. The web servers will be updated as soon as time allows.

We are in the process of updating the license status of about 25K additional products bringing the total offering to around 57,000 products. this will be complete by the end of October.

Future expansion is planned to allow local number calling to connect with US tech support.

If I can help anyone with inquiries, drop me an email to support@brownells.com.au

Happy Shooting

Bruce
http://www.brownells.com.au
Bruce
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2016, 7:36 pm

Much appreciated Bruce, great first post :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 14 Oct 2016, 7:49 pm

Hellllooooo Bruuuuuccceeeee
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 14 Oct 2016, 7:49 pm

Shut up and take my money, Bruce! Great post, thanks.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Withaai » 23 Feb 2017, 10:11 am

I waited over a month for a small item. :shock: Not exactly over the moon.. When I rang up to get updates, I got huge attitude and I was asked if I wanted a refund? I can understand shipments get held up in customs, an email costs nothing to a customer, or just politeness for a start... Customer service ? Hmmm.
Withaai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 08 Mar 2017, 6:00 pm

My experience with Brownell's so far.
Order placed 22/2 for 5 (2x1911 10mm, 3x 1911 .357Sig) pistol mags, Extended Cyl release for 686 and 2 leather pillow bag rests. Delivered today 8/3 so 14 days from order to delivery though 4 days of that was spent clearing customs in Australia. Considering 5/7 items are "Controlled" import / sale I'm very impressed with the delivery time. The order process is easy, they don't need a copy of my license but do ask for the details which is a legal requirement and not a drama. Status emails as the order progresses are welcome and so far no spam which is a massive positive. On a note for pricing, an equivalent 1911 mag for 10mm in Aus. is up around the $90 mark compared to $58 from Brownell's so they're a winner on pricing as well.
I can highly recommend them, especially for the obscure bits that are a nightmare or impossible to find locally.
Good work Bruce, I'm working on the next order now :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2017, 6:10 pm

Got two more buffer tubes and M4 stocks today from Brownells.
Ordered Feb 6 but they were held at Customs for 21 days.
A folding stock adaptor is still stuck in Customs though.
Attachments
080320172046.jpg
080320172046.jpg (985.36 KiB) Viewed 11035 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by andym79 » 30 Sep 2017, 7:45 am

I put an order in 15-9-17, still waiting will keep you posted!
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 30 Sep 2017, 9:16 am

After reading Bruce's post some time ago, i thought id give them a go for 2 small but specific items i need before i ordered anything substantial.

Ive emailed them twice & followed up with 2 calls, have told Bruce on the phone i want to order these items...

No email reply at all, even after chasing the emails by phone...

Unfortunately the service ive experienced is probably worse than LGS (at least they tell you no).

After waiting so long, i ended up contacting the manufacturer in US directly & they emailed back the next day with direct instructions on how to order.

My experience dictates that i cant speak well of Brownells at all...from my view point they're just another big player who cant be bothered.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Sep 2017, 10:05 am

I ordered some non flammable epoxy on 19/9/17 (non flammable is easier to freight) 11 days money gone from account no word yet
Price of epoxy in brownells add was $99 aus as I was led to believe but they ended up taking about $202
The reason was price was in american dollars + freight + mark up on American dollar the actual price was not given until a couple of days after ordering
when the notification was given that it was enroute and money was taken from acc no more word since
If I had known the actual price prior to ordering I would not have ordered it But what is done is done but as for brownells don't
think i'll be using them again until they have an actual shop in Australia and do away with the excess dollars of getting things here
My opinion is the gun business is only going to get bigger so these local companies should start streamlining their businesses
better services try to lower costs to the consumer generally have things in stock not have to order it when its required or else they will loose out
to these multi nationals and then we end up with the service they give which is sometimes below what we expect and are entitled to

Brownells are not very clear on America v Australia prices most other over seas companies give an Australian price before you press order
giving you the chance to decide YES or NO Brownells didn't when I ordered I would like to know the reason why if anybody could explain

CHEERS
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2017, 10:05 am

Stix wrote:After reading Bruce's post some time ago, i thought id give them a go for 2 small but specific items i need before i ordered anything substantial.

Ive emailed them twice & followed up with 2 calls, have told Bruce on the phone i want to order these items...

No email reply at all, even after chasing the emails by phone...

Unfortunately the service ive experienced is probably worse than LGS (at least they tell you no).

After waiting so long, i ended up contacting the manufacturer in US directly & they emailed back the next day with direct instructions on how to order.

My experience dictates that i cant speak well of Brownells at all...from my view point they're just another big player who cant be bothered.

Wow! That sucks :-(
I've had seven orders with them now with zero problems at all. Had a batch of pistol brass, bullets and dies released from Customs yesterday so should have it next week.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 30 Sep 2017, 7:54 pm

I ordered a peep sight for the Swede a week ago and i found their status indicators a bit vauge. I did get a pretty prompt email response and recently seen proposed delivery date of late this week which if made will be pretty impressive.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by andym79 » 04 Oct 2017, 11:03 am

I have now been waiting almost three weeks for my order.

I sent an email first thing yesterday asking the status of my order an when I could expect it.

No reply as yet. My thinking is that if I can get it elsewhere I most certainly will. In the past i used Brownells USA before they stopped shipping here. I normally got my stuff in 2 weeks.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Oct 2017, 11:26 am

andym79 wrote:I have now been waiting almost three weeks for my order.

I sent an email first thing yesterday asking the status of my order an when I could expect it.

No reply as yet. My thinking is that if I can get it elsewhere I most certainly will. In the past i used Brownells USA before they stopped shipping here. I normally got my stuff in 2 weeks.

Did you get an email saying it was in Customs?
Customs could take three weeks clearing something.

When did Brownells stop shipping direct from the US?
I'm ordering a cantilever rail for the Norinco today so I'll try it via the US site and let you know if it's a problem.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment