Vehicle Spotlights??? Remote vs manual

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Vehicle Spotlights??? Remote vs manual

Post by Medic » 17 Sep 2016, 1:35 pm

Hey fellas, just been looking at spotlights, wondering if anyone uses magnetic base remote spotlights?
They look quite good and can be attached easily and demounted, and I'm wondering if anyone has actually used one in the field? I think maybe it could be a nice touch to be able to remotely move it and have the controller in hand. Not sure if its actually more convenient to have a standard manual handle, though?
Anyone got any feedback on ones like this?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/75w-HID-XENON-ROTATING-REMOTE-SEARCH-SPOT-WORK-BOAT-LIGHT-spotlight-SEARCHLIGHT-/262201604809?hash=item3d0c6efac9:g:IzIAAMXQ9qpRVGzv
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Vehicle Spotlights??? Remote vs manual

Post by halberg » 25 Jan 2017, 9:39 am

Personally I found adjustable lights to be pretty useless.

You've got to stop, get out and whatever to adjust them. How often are you going to do that?

Get a few fixed ones pointing in the directions you need and leave em. IMO.
Savage Mark II FVT .22LR
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 Remington
Sako L691 6.5x55 SE
halberg
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2017, 9:44 am

halberg wrote:Personally I found adjustable lights to be pretty useless.

You've got to stop, get out and whatever to adjust them. How often are you going to do that?

Get a few fixed ones pointing in the directions you need and leave em. IMO.

He's talking about lights that are movable via remote - so you don't have to get out ;-)
I knew a pair of larrikans in the eighties had a hole cut through the roof of their HR with a handle hanging out the bottom of their spotlight.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2017, 9:51 am

My mate made a remote setup for his Lightforce I think it was, it wasn't too bad but a little sensitive but could be overcome with a better controller - great for cold winter nights (not having too hang onto the handle out the window in -8 to -12 or more can be a real nice thing but until it works better the good ol manual handle job will win (hard to track moving things with the remote setup we found) again only because of the way the controller worked, (this one only moved at a set speed but could be adjustable but if you and it set too fast or slow it made tracking things harder) once that's sorted out to be more user friendly it will be a ripper then for sure.

Can't comment on the ones you're looking at - only way to find out is too buy one and see what happens.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by halberg » 31 Jan 2017, 10:11 am

bladeracer wrote:He's talking about lights that are movable via remote - so you don't have to get out ;-)

My bad.

Guess they've come a long way since I used them last (years ago).

Had a pair on a ball joint thing for each side you just move with your hand, thinking back to that.
Savage Mark II FVT .22LR
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 Remington
Sako L691 6.5x55 SE
halberg
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Hooper22 » 31 Jan 2017, 12:16 pm

As bigfellascott said, hard to track something and has jerky movement (the one i have is a different model). It can be handy when used alongside a second spotlight.
Hooper22
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment