Hornady one shot, g 96 or something else?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Hornady one shot, g 96 or something else?

Post by Rmwilliams19 » 18 Sep 2016, 9:20 pm

Gday guys. Just wanna pick ya brains on your thoughts on cleaning solvents and/or lube. I used to use boretech eliminator and a separate gun oi, but im little lazy now and tend to use all in one products. Ive been using hornady one shot but find it a little pricey but has seemed to work well. Has any one else used this or g 96 ( smells nice) gun care. These producta claim to break down copper fouling as well as potect against rust? Cheers.
Rmwilliams19
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Hornady one shot, g 96 or something else?

Post by bladeracer » 18 Sep 2016, 10:15 pm

Rmwilliams19 wrote:Gday guys. Just wanna pick ya brains on your thoughts on cleaning solvents and/or lube. I used to use boretech eliminator and a separate gun oi, but im little lazy now and tend to use all in one products. Ive been using hornady one shot but find it a little pricey but has seemed to work well. Has any one else used this or g 96 ( smells nice) gun care. These producta claim to break down copper fouling as well as potect against rust? Cheers.

I'm using Outers Nitro Solvent, seems to do the job.
If I have the action out of the stock then I'll touch moving parts with Gunslick oil and smear Hoppes #9 grease on all exposed surfaces, and the bolt, sear surface and locking lugs.
Last edited by bladeracer on 19 Sep 2016, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Sep 2016, 10:33 am

Rm,
Sorry mate, those solvents don't work on their own. For cleaning, you need bronze brushes and J B Bore Compound about every 200 shots. Then a rust preventative. Sorry again mate; there just isn't any easy way to do it.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Sep 2016, 5:25 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Rm,
Sorry mate, those solvents don't work on their own. For cleaning, you need bronze brushes and J B Bore Compound about every 200 shots. Then a rust preventative. Sorry again mate; there just isn't any easy way to do it.

I was assuming he is still scrubbing the bore clean :-)
I let the solvent soak the bore for about ten minutes, scrub a brush through half a dozen times, spray it again, then start patching it out.
When the last dry patch comes out clean then I lightly spray a patch and run that through the bore.
Never used a bore compound, what's the purpose of that?
The .204 needs bore cleaning after about fifty rounds to maintain accuracy.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rmwilliams19 » 19 Sep 2016, 6:49 pm

Cheers for input fellas. Yeah i still scrub my bore with a nylon brush after i apply oneshot on patches. lve seen alot of people use hoppes no.9 Too.
Rmwilliams19
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment