legal noise suppression

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: legal noise suppression

Post by ebr love » 11 Oct 2016, 1:38 pm

Anyone tried it since posting?

I'm interested.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2016, 3:30 pm

ebr love wrote:Anyone tried it since posting?

I'm interested.

Haven't tried this precisely, but sometimes in IPSC we'd shoot through barrels or from inside vehicles and the blast and noise was horrendous - even from handguns.
Ammosmith on Youtube tried a range suppressor made of tyres and I didn't think it was very effective.
I've been hankering for a while to line up several concrete culvert pipes and see how effective that is. Completely static of course but could be useful for load development I think.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 12 Oct 2016, 7:38 am

So an indoor firing range falls under this logic then. :lol:
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Homer » 14 Oct 2016, 3:21 pm

G'Day Fella's,

On One Wheel, to the best of my knowledge, the only time a sound suppression device becomes Illegal, is when it is attached to the firearm.

The other variation on this lined plastic 205litre drum, is a series car tires (10+) held together in a longitudinal frame, that is positioned forward of the muzzle/shooting bench.
The hollow inner section of the tire, act like baffles in a suppressor and work pretty well!
You may need to place spreaders in the inside of the individual tires, to keep them open and tires with more rubber on them will work better than seriously worn tires!

Hope that helps

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment