Sling recomendations ??

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Sling recomendations ??

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Sep 2016, 4:09 pm

Hi all,
I'm looking for recommendations for a sling to suit a lightweight hunting rifle.
Non slip, comfortable, non stretch would be some of the qualities desired.

I'm sick of the black nylon webbing seat belt type of materials. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Sling recomendations ??

Post by Gwion » 24 Sep 2016, 4:14 pm

I make mine out of leather. Custom length for me and the rifle.

Will stretch a little over time but if you get really board you can stitch the entire length of both edges and it will stop the stretching.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2016, 4:45 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Hi all,
I'm looking for recommendations for a sling to suit a lightweight hunting rifle.
Non slip, comfortable, non stretch would be some of the qualities desired.

I'm sick of the black nylon webbing seat belt type of materials. :thumbsdown:

I use the cheap Chinese single-point slings. It puts the weight of my rifle across my shoulders instead of in my hands. And it lets me take both hands off my rifle at any time and it stays put, especially useful when I'm glassing areas.
But you can't use it for offhand shooting support, so I made a two-point sling.
It's tight and out of the way when not in use but unclipping a side-release buckle opens it out for shooting if required.
This is the first one I made, the next one I'm going to try simple press studs instead of the buckles.
Attachments
240920161560.jpg
240920161560.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 6334 times
240920161558.jpg
240920161558.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 6334 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 24 Sep 2016, 4:51 pm

Gwion wrote:I make mine out of leather. Custom length for me and the rifle.

Will stretch a little over time but if you get really board you can stitch the entire length of both edges and it will stop the stretching.

What shops sell leather?
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 24 Sep 2016, 5:13 pm

pete1 wrote:
Gwion wrote:I make mine out of leather. Custom length for me and the rifle.

What shops sell leather?

https://www.tandyleather.com.au/en/

http://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/

http://www.theleathershed.com.au/collec ... st-sellers

You can probably buy good strapping at what ever width you want for the widest part of your strap then just trim it to fit your swivels. Reuse the swivels from an old nylon strap that you don't want or buy new swivels.

I'll post a pic of the slings I've made.
I'm lucky enough to have a whole bunch of leather tools and I'm still using up a hide I've had for years. Might have to invest in some different leathers soon as I seem to be doing more and more leather work recently.

PS: I even have patterns and instructions for Western style revolver holsters.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2016, 5:32 pm

Last time I bought leather to repair a race suit I got it from a shoe repair guy in Perth, but that was twenty-odd years ago.

You could shoot some yourself.
The girl that lives across the road from me has started selling stuff made from the deer that they shoot, wallets and that sort of thing.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2016, 5:44 pm

Gwion wrote:I'm lucky enough to have a whole bunch of leather tools and I'm still using up a hide I've had for years. Might have to invest in some different leathers soon as I seem to be doing more and more leather work recently.

PS: I even have patterns and instructions for Western style revolver holsters.....

When I was a kid I made a western rig for a replica single-action army. It hung on the wall for decades, but I gave it away when we moved to Victoria - apparently this is where the terrorists are getting their replica firearms from...

I've made a variety of holsters for handguns over the years, including stitching spring steel into a revolver holster to clamp the gun into an inverted shoulder rig.

But frankly, leather isn't as practical and user friendly as the new plastics and webbings - in my opinion.
I've got a lot of damaged race leather that I often think about cutting up to make things, but I always end up using something easier to work with, or stronger, or more flexible, or water resilient, etc.
Kangaroo leather is still the best material in the world for sliding along bitumen at high speeds, but I'm sure eventually they'll synthesize something that'll out do even that.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Sep 2016, 5:53 pm

"I'm sick of the black nylon webbing seat belt type of materials. " interesting, I reckon its great. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 24 Sep 2016, 6:01 pm

Feel free to post me your old leathers and I'll happily make some gear from them.

DJ did say he was over the whole webbing look and feel.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 24 Sep 2016, 6:07 pm

Simple sling...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (714.4 KiB) Viewed 6304 times

Simple attachment to the swivels and I put the Browning emblem on there for my T-bolt.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 6304 times

Look Ma, one hand!
Just the right length...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (309.8 KiB) Viewed 6304 times

Looked after properly, leather can last for decades of reliable service. But.... To each, their own.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sam45 » 24 Sep 2016, 6:32 pm

Check this guy out! Just received my sling and ammo pouch. Awesome work. Wanted these for a Deer stalking rifle. Ammo pouch to suit .270 :thumbsup: He uses nothing but quality leather and a great guy :drinks:

https://www.facebook.com/leigh.baragwanath?fref=ts

14359166_1080324822015941_3968580682782596411_n.jpg
14359166_1080324822015941_3968580682782596411_n.jpg (20.58 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 24 Sep 2016, 7:20 pm

What did that set you back, Sam?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sam45 » 24 Sep 2016, 9:57 pm

Gwion wrote:What did that set you back, Sam?

$180 delivered to QLD via express post.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Sep 2016, 10:19 pm

Last sling I made was out of some Skippy (made it when I was a kid and it's still going strong and bloody comfy to use I must say (only on my 22 Brno) so not a heavy rifle but it works a treat, wraps around the arm perfectly for shooting off hand.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 24 Sep 2016, 10:40 pm

Very nice sling Gwion! Bit jelous you have the mad leather skills

Bladeracer - single point bolt action slings.. i didn't even know they existed, thats awesome where does it attatch to the rifle out of curiosity? The picutre looks like it's in the scope lol
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 25 Sep 2016, 12:50 am

Sam45 wrote:
Gwion wrote:What did that set you back, Sam?

$180 delivered to QLD via express post.

Woah.... That's a few bikkies!

Nice, though. Sell 12 of those and pay for a stitching machine.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Sep 2016, 11:54 am

So I take it from general concensus, that there definately are not any "genuine" leather slings sold through LGS's.
Can't remember the last time I saw some in the half dozen or so LGS's that I visit.

Gwion,, > PM going your way.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2016, 12:12 pm

AusTac wrote:Bladeracer - single point bolt action slings.. i didn't even know they existed, thats awesome where does it attatch to the rifle out of curiosity? The picutre looks like it's in the scope lol

It's not bolt-action specific.
I use a 45-degree offset pic rail with a sling attachment.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152226006613
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/391462211151

I was very hesitant to attach it to the rail so my intention was to mount it to the side of the stock once I'd found the best place for it. But so far I've had no problems with the scope losing zero or coming loose on any rifle and am happy to keep it like this. The rifle hangs at my left side or across my body when I'm walking but is instantly there for offhand shooting, and I use the quick-release clip to detach when I go prone.
I wear an Allen binocular harness as well but it doesn't interfere at all.
Attachments
allen-binocular-ready-strap-deluxe-binocular-strap-system-[2]-8071-p.jpg
allen-binocular-ready-strap-deluxe-binocular-strap-system-[2]-8071-p.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
250920161565.jpg
250920161565.jpg (978.52 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2016, 12:13 pm

Die Judicii wrote:So I take it from general concensus, that there definately are not any "genuine" leather slings sold through LGS's.
Can't remember the last time I saw some in the half dozen or so LGS's that I visit.

Gwion,, > PM going your way.

I have two Chinese AK slings that are leather and I know you can buy original and replica GI slings for the Garand.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Sep 2016, 9:27 am

I just use a old army web sling, just a bit of black and brown boot polish on it, works great!

if anyone wants a Max-Hunter black sling - suit rifle or shotgun, brand new & with swivels $25 incl postage...

gs.1.jpg
gs.1.jpg (152.92 KiB) Viewed 6035 times
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 Sep 2016, 9:44 am

Bladeracer, did you register your rifles with ruger and get the cheek rests?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Harper » 26 Sep 2016, 10:42 am

I've been thinking about a DIY strap myself lately, leather with a later of wool inside is the plan.

Fits the bill for what you want too I think.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by bladeracer » 26 Sep 2016, 1:19 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Bladeracer, did you register your rifles with ruger and get the cheek rests?

Registered all three with Ruger, never heard of these cheek rests though.

Do you have a link to some information?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Sep 2016, 6:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions you blokes,,,
I have made up my mind, and no doubt will be happy now as a result.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 30 Sep 2016, 11:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:
sandgroperbill wrote:Bladeracer, did you register your rifles with ruger and get the cheek rests?

Registered all three with Ruger, never heard of these cheek rests though.

Do you have a link to some information?

Mine had a card/pamphlet in the box with instructions. I didn't expect to get anything not being in America and all, but was surprised when a few weeks later I got it
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2016, 1:53 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Mine had a card/pamphlet in the box with instructions. I didn't expect to get anything not being in America and all, but was surprised when a few weeks later I got it

Hmmm...I'll have to have a look to see if I got those, definitely not with the 7mm as that came with no box or manual.
I'm assuming you're talking about the pouches that strap around the butt stock rather than some sort of cheek rest?
No big deal to me though, I bought a dozen Chinese ones which will do me just fine - and probably came from the same factory anyway :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 01 Oct 2016, 10:44 am

they're the ones. Basically a soft wrap around with a bit of padding for a cheek rest, a zip up pouch and some ammo loops, pretty similar (if not identical) to the Allen ones, and all from a Chinese factory.

The story is that they wouldn't actually put it in the box, or not everything would be American, so the Chinese cheek rest/pad/thing was done as a rebate type setup.

I like mine, and it saved me a few bucks buying my own. I mainly use it for the ammo loops, a bore snake and a couple of spare batteries for the torch, so quite handy
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2016, 5:13 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:they're the ones. Basically a soft wrap around with a bit of padding for a cheek rest, a zip up pouch and some ammo loops, pretty similar (if not identical) to the Allen ones, and all from a Chinese factory.

The story is that they wouldn't actually put it in the box, or not everything would be American, so the Chinese cheek rest/pad/thing was done as a rebate type setup.

I like mine, and it saved me a few bucks buying my own. I mainly use it for the ammo loops, a bore snake and a couple of spare batteries for the torch, so quite handy

I refuse to attach ammunition to my firearms, way too easy to forget it's on there - not worth the risk.
I use them primarily to hold medium-density foam rubber padding along the comb to maintain a good consistent cheek weld.
In the pocket I keep a bore snake, a small piece of oily rag and some allen keys that fit the action and scope screws.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 02 Oct 2016, 7:24 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 5987 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Oct 2016, 6:26 pm

I have tried leather, synthetic including the stretchy ones and have settled on these. Just a length of 30mm nylon strap and a slider/buckle. Cheap & very light.

Total cost about $4 or $5. Works for me.

IMAG0037 - Sling.jpg
IMAG0037 - Sling.jpg (132.62 KiB) Viewed 5973 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment