Caldwell Matrix or MTM shooting rest

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Caldwell Matrix or MTM shooting rest

Post by pete1 » 14 Oct 2016, 8:51 pm

Thinking of buying a shooting rest, was gunna make one, but don't have the time.

I want to use it for sighting in rifles (got one sighted in at 50m, but want it sighted further) and will probably lend it to a mate when he buys his new rifle. I will probably use it for cleaning as well.

was looking at Caldwell Matrix and MTM shooting rest, anyone used these or got any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: shooting rest.

Post by Rifle realist » 14 Oct 2016, 9:39 pm

Hi Pere
I am not an expert, I have a Caldwell rock Br & it does every thing I need. I did have one of the MTM plastic rests, it was better than nothing but I found it too light. I know there are much better quality rests, you would need to talk to some of the bench rest guys though.
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Atter » 19 Oct 2016, 10:50 am

Personally I find the fixed front and rear rests an epic pain to use.

Any left/right adjustment is stupidly awkward.

Something like Caldwell Rock Jnr for the front and a back for the rest is much better to shoot from in general, not just for sighting in, and you can use them to rest the rifle when cleaning it too.
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Caldwell Matrix or MTM shooting rest

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2016, 3:46 pm

Good ol Scissor Car Jacks are a cheap easy option too, used them to good effect in the day, weld a bit of u shaped plate on top, bung a sock full of sand on top of that and you are away. :D

Got a Scissor Jack sitting here that's going to be re-purposed into one when I'm ready, you can also mount the jack on some timber or weld a bit of plate to the bottom of it to make it more stable, weld a bit of rod to the windy thing and jobs done, simple but effective and costs bugger all (wrecking yards are full of em) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2016, 3:52 pm

I've got one of these sitting at home doing nothing - I probably should sell it as I don't shoot targets anymore.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/1620735 ... 107&chn=ps
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mongrel » 19 Oct 2016, 5:28 pm

I used a mtm when i started. It did the job but it bounces around alot. Your forever asjusting it. But with the 22 its fine and for cleaning i find it perfect
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2016, 9:42 pm

Caldwell Rock Deluxe up front and tapered sandbag on the rear. For the hand cannon a Caldwell Handy Rest NXT, cause its plastic. I got tired of taping the previous sandbag rests back together after being shredded by muzzle blast. I'm going to bite the bullet so to speak soon and lash out on a proper BR rest, either a Farley, Bald Eagle or this other one who's name escapes me but are made in Indonesia or Philippines...
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 19 Oct 2016, 9:49 pm

brett1868 wrote:Caldwell Rock Deluxe up front and tapered sandbag on the rear. For the hand cannon a Caldwell Handy Rest NXT, cause its plastic. I got tired of taping the previous sandbag rests back together after being shredded by muzzle blast. I'm going to bite the bullet so to speak soon and lash out on a proper BR rest, either a Farley, Bald Eagle or this other one who's name escapes me but are made in Indonesia or Philippines...

those rock deluxes look the part
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by deadkitty » 20 Oct 2016, 6:22 pm

I bought an MTM red plastic thing, it's ok, the Caldwell is better but far more expensive.....and I'm such a cheapskate. Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 27 Oct 2016, 9:58 am

Atter wrote:Something like Caldwell Rock Jnr for the front and a back for the rest is much better to shoot from in general.

Agreed. I'm using the Rock Jr and a V bag at the back. Rock was a bout $90 I think? Cheap really.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment