M38 Mauser flash hider

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

M38 Mauser flash hider

Post by bladeracer » 27 Oct 2016, 7:42 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252448846647

Screws straight onto the threaded muzzle to protect the threads and crown, and minimises a plugged muzzle if you touch the muzzle on the ground. Cheaper than an original thread protector too :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: M38 Mauser flash hider

Post by Supaduke » 28 Oct 2016, 6:19 am

Looks nice, I would probably get one too if my m38 was threaded.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Oct 2016, 11:48 am

Supaduke wrote:Looks nice, I would probably get one too if my m38 was threaded.

I've never seen an unthreaded M38, my Carl Gustav M38 was threaded as well. This one is an Husqvarna.
Neither came with a thread protector.
I was going to make one on the lathe so I Googled the thread pitch and realised it's a common European muzzle thread, that's also used on Airsoft.
This is easier and has the added benefits of crown protection and keeping the muzzle out of the dirt.
Attachments
M38 Husky.jpg
M38 Husky.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 3390 times
281020161671.jpg
281020161671.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 3390 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 28 Oct 2016, 12:15 pm

One of the reasons I picked this one up. Apparently the unthreaded M38's are quite rare. It's a 1941 Husky. From what I've read the threading was used for attaching a blank diffuser. Original blanks used wooden bullets that would disintergrate as they hit the diffuser.

Here's mine
IMG_0053.JPG
M38 swede
IMG_0053.JPG (728.86 KiB) Viewed 3388 times

IMG_0055.JPG
M38 with Bayonet
IMG_0055.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 3388 times

IMG_0096.JPG
Blank diffuser
IMG_0096.JPG (16.63 KiB) Viewed 3388 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Oct 2016, 12:31 pm

Very nice rifle.
I think the threading was done soon after WW2 so an unthreaded M38 would be something special.
I know about the blank attachment but I can't be arsed making wooden bullets for it ;-)
I gave my bayonet away after I sold the rifle to move to WA :-(
Need to pick up a few now for all my milsurps.

I received my 6.5mm bullets yesterday and already put six through the Carcano. They went okay but velocity seems very low so I'm not convinced the .264" bullets are going to work.
Ordering the .268's for it, and making up a bunch of 6.5x55mm ammo today.
Last edited by bladeracer on 28 Oct 2016, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 28 Oct 2016, 12:54 pm

A few old timers have told me about Carcanos running .264 pills and it being the reason it's reputation is (unfairly) poor for accuracy. I think you'll be much happier with .268 pills.

I love shooting my swede. A very accurate and smooth shooter. You can just feel the quality every time you cycle the action.

And you gotta have a bayonet.....it's got a lug.....therefore science dictates you must have a bayonet. You can't argue with science
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Oct 2016, 1:18 pm

Supaduke wrote:A few old timers have told me about Carcanos running .264 pills and it being the reason it's reputation is (unfairly) poor for accuracy. I think you'll be much happier with .268 pills.

I love shooting my swede. A very accurate and smooth shooter. You can just feel the quality every time you cycle the action.

And you gotta have a bayonet.....it's got a lug.....therefore science dictates you must have a bayonet. You can't argue with science

Both of my previous Swedes were impressively accurate so I'm hoping this one follows the trend.
I slugged the bore so really wasn't expecting them to work, but since I have the 6.5x55mm anyway I was hopeful :-)
I have to say the Carcano is a lovely little scrub carbine.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 08 Dec 2016, 2:50 pm

Supaduke wrote:From what I've read the threading was used for attaching a blank diffuser. Original blanks used wooden bullets that would disintergrate as they hit the diffuser.

Interesting bit of trivia there.

I wonder what comes out the end, dust or splinters.

Don't forget the goggles :ugeek:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment