Honeywell gun safe at Masters. Stay away?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Honeywell gun safe at Masters. Stay away?

Post by DreddEmpire » 07 Nov 2016, 1:18 pm

Hi guys,

First time poster here as I'm in the process of obtaining my gun license. No stranger to shooting (10 yrs army) but have never held a civie gun license and the goal is to go hunting on properties.

Anyway, I was down at Masters today to see if i could take advantage of the closing down sale and I see
Honeywell Executive long gunsafes (5 rifles) selling for $353.40.

Question: Are Honeywell a reputable brand or just hardware store junk? :?
Is $353 even a good price?
Or should I just stay away from Masters/Bunnings and look eleswhere?

Cheers in advance :thumbsup:
DreddEmpire
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Honeywell gun safe at Masters. Stay away?

Post by Supaduke » 07 Nov 2016, 6:05 pm

Doesn't seem particularly cheap, especially for a 5 gun. 10-14 gun lokaway is only about $100 more
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 07 Nov 2016, 6:38 pm

seems pricey for a 5 gun and i cant comment on honeywell being good or bad sry
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 07 Nov 2016, 7:33 pm

Search youtube for what makes a good gun safe. There are some excellent videos that make it real clear what is good and what to avoid. The safes sold by Masters and Bunnings are rubbish. Avoid, avoid.

Aussie made Lokaway safes are up there with the best. The tick all the boxes on what makes a good safe.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by rsj223 » 07 Nov 2016, 7:44 pm

rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by DreddEmpire » 07 Nov 2016, 8:50 pm

happyhunter wrote:Search youtube for what makes a good gun safe. There are some excellent videos that make it real clear what is good and what to avoid. The safes sold by Masters and Bunnings are rubbish. Avoid, avoid.

Aussie made Lokaway safes are up there with the best. The tick all the boxes on what makes a good safe.

Thanks mate, will do that. How are Lockaway on price?
Last edited by DreddEmpire on 07 Nov 2016, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreddEmpire
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by DreddEmpire » 07 Nov 2016, 8:51 pm

rsj223 wrote:Not like this one is it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMRhpTnFUx0

Lol, it is like that one. Not exactly the same but same enough to answer the question on the safes quality.
DreddEmpire
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by DreddEmpire » 07 Nov 2016, 8:57 pm

Yeah the Masters one seemed pricey compared to what I'd seen of other safes online. They originally had it priced at $589. Thats a BS price though to make you think your getting a bargain at $353.
DreddEmpire
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 08 Nov 2016, 9:08 am

DreddEmpire wrote:
happyhunter wrote:Search youtube for what makes a good gun safe. There are some excellent videos that make it real clear what is good and what to avoid. The safes sold by Masters and Bunnings are rubbish. Avoid, avoid.

Thanks mate, will do that. How are Lockaway on price?

For what you pay they are really good on price. Have a look at business websites that sell safes for a comparison and gunshops like gun emporium advertise safes online. The Lokaway safes have higher ratings than most safes double the price. This will give you an idea of price. https://www.safesgalore.com.au/cats/gunsafes

I bought mine a long time ago on special so it was really cheap, under 4 hundy for an 8 gun safe.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Nov 2016, 6:08 pm

Seems a bit expensive - try Defiance (std) 5 gun for $270 or 8 gun for $360, Premium 5 gun $370 or 8 gun $460. Also, Buffalo River - Bronze, 5gun $270. 7 gun $355 or 10 gun $415. Plus others

Your safe choice will depend on your weapons (I hate that word)class of storage too.

Your LGS should be able to through some light on it and look before you buy. I wouldn't worry about a 3 or 5 gun safe, go for at least a 8, simply more room for stuff.

These prices and description are a guide only and I'm not "recommending " them, just giving you an idea re prices.
Cheers
Last edited by RoginaJack on 11 Nov 2016, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Nov 2016, 6:14 pm

Seems a bit expensive - EG Defiance (std) 5 gun for $270 or 8 gun for $360, Premium 5 gun $370 or 8 gun $460. Also, Buffalo River - Bronze, 5gun $270. 7 gun $355 or 10 gun $415, plus other brands too

Your safe choice will depend on your weapons ( I hate that word) class of storage too.

Your LGS should be able to through some light on it and look before you buy. I wouldn't worry about a 3 or 5 gun safe, go for at least a 8, simply more room for stuff.
These prices and description are a guide only and I'm not "recommending " them, just giving you an idea re prices.
Cheers
Last edited by RoginaJack on 11 Nov 2016, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by mickn » 10 Nov 2016, 7:33 pm

No matter what brand of safe you buy, get one of a size you will need, not one you think you will need. If you think now you need a 5 gun, get a ten. You will fill it.
mickn
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Nov 2016, 2:08 pm

HHmm, well don't know how that happened?
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by DreddEmpire » 15 Nov 2016, 8:45 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Seems a bit expensive - EG Defiance (std) 5 gun for $270 or 8 gun for $360, Premium 5 gun $370 or 8 gun $460. Also, Buffalo River - Bronze, 5gun $270. 7 gun $355 or 10 gun $415, plus other brands too

Your safe choice will depend on your weapons ( I hate that word) class of storage too.

Cheers

Appreciate the info mate. Ive been doing a bit of research and have decided to go with a Lockaway Lok 4DK.(10-16 guns). 15% off at my LGS in a couple of weeks. Its dearer than some other mid range safes but the quality is right up there.
DreddEmpire
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by DreddEmpire » 15 Nov 2016, 8:54 pm

mickn wrote:No matter what brand of safe you buy, get one of a size you will need, not one you think you will need. If you think now you need a 5 gun, get a ten. You will fill it.

Yeah and I've discovered what ever the safe claims to hold, its more realistic to assume the safe will hold half that number. Decided on the Lockaway Lok 4DK.(10-16 guns). I'll be buying three rifles straight up when my license comes through but cant see myself owning more than 8 anytime soon.
DreddEmpire
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 15 Nov 2016, 10:26 pm

I payed about $900 for my Lokaway 10 gun safe (it exceeds the bolt in weight and meets Cat H storage requirements)..

Its what I considered to be the pick of the bunch that was locally available at the time of purchase. I have since Improved its level of security... :thumbsup:
I added an additional solenoid for the locking mechanism (with an additional "under duress" twist), more than doubling its brute force entry regarding the said mechanism over standard. :)

I have also fitted an alarm system to monitor its access, an additional layer of protection.. Can never be too safe imo...

It's a small cost when considering the potentially damaging cost that such unlawful access could present for legal firearm owners... ! I
would suggest that It is better to far exceed the legislated storage requirements than risk any potential further legislative action, that could potentially be attributed to be necessary by way of such unlawful access..

Just my opinion, regardless of the chosen storage receptacle.. Loose lips sink ships, is a term worth consideration regarding safe storage.. ;)

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by jaydos » 16 Nov 2016, 10:05 pm

darwindingo wrote:I payed about $900 for my Lokaway 10 gun safe (it exceeds the bolt in weight and meets Cat H storage requirements)..

Its what I considered to be the pick of the bunch that was locally available at the time of purchase. I have since Improved its level of security... :thumbsup:
I added an additional solenoid for the locking mechanism (with an additional "under duress" twist), more than doubling its brute force entry regarding the said mechanism over standard. :)

I have also fitted an alarm system to monitor its access, an additional layer of protection.. Can never be too safe imo...

It's a small cost when considering the potentially damaging cost that such unlawful access could present for legal firearm owners... ! I
would suggest that It is better to far exceed the legislated storage requirements than risk any potential further legislative action, that could potentially be attributed to be necessary by way of such unlawful access..

Just my opinion, regardless of the chosen storage receptacle.. Loose lips sink ships, is a term worth consideration regarding safe storage.. ;)

:drinks:

Jeff

couldnt agree with you more. I have the lok2k and have it well and truely hidden under a staircase with a locked door in front. Getting some security cameras shortly to place on the entrances to my house....can never be overprepared for the worst case scenario
jaydos
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rocker » 17 Nov 2016, 10:56 am

So much of the Bunning's stuff is brands just making cheap stuff to get into the market for a buck.

Not a quality product with good understanding of the what discerning consumers want.

I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole.

Go an established brand from the shooting industry IMO.

Lokaway, Spika, Browning etc.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by DreddEmpire » 28 Nov 2016, 8:22 pm

Just an update. Bought the Lockaway Lok 4DK today and brought it home. Havent bolted it in yet but will pick up better dynabolts than the ones supplied. Happy with the safe though. Seems really well made and I like how the door slides into the body so it cant be pried open. Picked it up for $750 from Gunworld in Brisbane. Thanks for all the advice I got and to think 3 weeks ago I was looking at a safe from Masters!! Yikes..
DreddEmpire
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by teedo » 29 Nov 2016, 2:19 pm

Good call on the Lokaway :thumbsup:
teedo
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment