Anyone here ever use laser bore sighters?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Anyone here ever use laser bore sighters?

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Nov 2016, 10:18 pm

I know they've been around for quite a while, but has anyone here ever used those "laser bullets" for initial sighting in and maybe as a means of checking your zero after a long trip, (on a rough road) ?? :unknown:

I've heard that the rifling in some barrels can sometimes upset the beam. :unknown:

So what votes for or against the products are out there ?

If they are good enough to actually save ammo bar a one or two shot physical final check or not ?

I know the method of firing one shot, and then adjusting to that hole,, but I'm curios about these laser jobs.

With the ever increasing cost of ammo over the counter, anything that can save rounds would be good. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Anyone here ever used these ?

Post by bladeracer » 12 Nov 2016, 10:26 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I know they've been around for quite a while, but has anyone here ever used those "laser bullets" for initial sighting in and maybe as a means of checking your zero after a long trip, (on a rough road) ?? :unknown:

I've heard that the rifling in some barrels can sometimes upset the beam. :unknown:

So what votes for or against the products are out there ?

If they are good enough to actually save ammo bar a one or two shot physical final check or not ?

I know the method of firing one shot, and then adjusting to that hole,, but I'm curios about these laser jobs.

With the ever increasing cost of ammo over the counter, anything that can save rounds would be good. :thumbsup:

I bought a bunch of them but I rarely use them, just more junk to carry I find. I prefer to just boresight at 50m, then shoot a round and zero the scope to that.
One really effective trick when changing a scope or putting a scope on a rifle with iron sights is to hang a laser off the barrel, zero it to the sights at 100m, swap the new sight on and zero it to the laser dot. I rarely have to make any further adjustment.

I'll try to remember to take these gadgets out with me sometime and see how accurate they really are.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 30 Nov 2016, 10:48 am

Only my personal opinion here but I can't really see the point if you have a normal rifle setup.

e.g. Scope on a regular bolt action. I've never had one go anywhere near so far off zero I'd need something like this to find my way back quickly.

But, if you had a rifle wither changeable barrels and/or quick release scopes, something where there is a lot going on around keeping the thing zero'd I can see the value.

Or if it's for work or something and you have to freshly zero rifles often.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Nov 2016, 10:49 am

Nope can't say I've ever needed them.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 30 Nov 2016, 12:15 pm

Provided the laser was reasonably concentric in the bore it should be a reasonable indicator of where the to set the scope. You would have to know the drop @ 100m then set the x-hairs that distance above the laser dot. Keeping in mind that projectiles travel in an arc where as the laser is dead straight. Provided the laser was reasonably concentric in the bore it
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Anyone here ever used these laser cartridges?

Post by Supporter » 30 Nov 2016, 12:53 pm

Looks like it would be handy.

$80 ish though is a bit of a whack though if you're not using it much.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Nov 2016, 1:02 pm

I've got one for my .243
Works consistently regardless of it's orientation in the chamber.

It gets me onto an A4 sized target at 100 every time.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 30 Nov 2016, 1:31 pm

Wouldn't they be hard to see the dot in bright daylight?
And I can't imagine it being much better than simply looking down the bore, but hey, who doesn't like a gadget?
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: Anyone here ever use laser bore sighters?

Post by Monty » 30 Nov 2016, 2:28 pm

It would depend on how many milliwatt the laser is.

I did a quick skim over eBay looking at what's offered there and didn't see any quoting how many mW theirs were, not a good sign I guess. Googling for others however I found a brand 'Arctic Fox Optics' which do a 5mW bore sighter, so there is obviously a range available.

As it is, you can only import lasers into Australia with an output of less than 1mW, but this is still a bloody powerful beam. Easily visible at a hundred metres on a regular day.

The colour of the laser is arguably as important as the power too, as lasers of equal power in different colours are not equally visible to us.

Violet, blue, green and red are the common flavours. You can also get yellow but for reasons I don't remember equipment capable of producing a yellow laser is incredibly expensive so they're effectively limited to commercial applications only.

As you know we (humans) can't see at/below ultra violet or at/above infra red. Off the top of my head UV is around 400nm in wavelength and IR is around 700nm.

Check the specs when looking at whatever laser interests you, you'll see violet/blue lasers will be somewhere around 430nm, and red will be somewhere around 640nm. A green laser will be around 530nm in wavelength.

Because the blue and red lasers are approaching the limit of our visual range we're less sensitive to them and see less light. The green laser though is closer to the centre of our visible range so we're more sensitive to it and see the light in all its glory.

Red has been common for years as it was cheaper to make a red laser, but that's not the case any more and you can get green for more or less the same money.

I haven't As you know we can't see at/below ultra violet or at/above infra red. Off the top of my head I think UV is around 400nm in wavelength and IR is about 700nm.

I haven't used one myself but I think I can say with some confidence if you got a <1mW green laser bore sighter you'd be able to see it in any practical scenario of zeroing a rifle.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by jubble » 30 Nov 2016, 3:56 pm

Having a poke around on ebay at these and there is one there that reckons it has an 8,000km range :lol:

That'll come in handy all the time :sarcasm:
jubble
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 30 Nov 2016, 5:41 pm

jubble wrote:Having a poke around on ebay at these and there is one there that reckons it has an 8,000km range :lol:

If you believe that, I have a genuine lightsaber for sale. Only used in one rebellion, good condition
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 30 Nov 2016, 5:48 pm

you get what you pay for, those "laser bullets" are rubbish but a mate has a "site Lite" unit that cost a few hundred bucks and is very well made and has a powerful laser though like others have said I find it simple to bore sight, fire one round and adjust to the POI, normally takes just 2-5 rounds at 50m

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 30 Nov 2016, 5:57 pm

I just do what I did with my semi long time ago, take a shot at 10 yards. Draw a dot one and quarter inch above the hole then wind scope onto dot. Gives very close to 200 yard zero, of course fire a group at 100 to get exact.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 30 Nov 2016, 6:07 pm

Having a poke around on ebay at these and there is one there that reckons it has an 8,000km range

I might just have the rifle for that :D The AG's department are reviewing my request so hopefully a positive response any day now.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 30 Nov 2016, 9:51 pm

Supaduke wrote:
jubble wrote:Having a poke around on ebay at these and there is one there that reckons it has an 8,000km range :lol:

If you believe that, I have a genuine lightsaber for sale. Only used in one rebellion, good condition

Gee, I'm really interested in the lightsaber :D Unfortunately with only one rebellion on it, its probably out of my price range though :lol: But considering the really good condition ? :lol:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Prettybird » 01 Dec 2016, 10:15 am

brett1868 wrote:I might just have the rifle for that :D

And where are you shooting from? Saurons tower? :lol:
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Dec 2016, 3:28 pm

Thanks for the general consensus fellas,, I think the NO vote has it. (I love forums for this sort of thing)
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 01 Dec 2016, 3:40 pm

Prettybird wrote:

8000km might be a bit of a stretch considering the maximum effective range is only 3200m :cry:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 01 Dec 2016, 3:42 pm

brett1868 wrote:8000km might be a bit of a stretch considering the maximum effective range is only 3200m :cry:

Geez Brett looks like you've just been wasting your time.

Better pack it all it.

I'll help take a few of them off your hands, as a favour :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Dec 2016, 5:01 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Prettybird wrote:

8000km might be a bit of a stretch considering the maximum effective range is only 3200m :cry:

Maximum effective of the .50BMG has got to be way further than 3200m!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NEO2BO7uqU
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 01 Dec 2016, 9:03 pm

Maximum effective of the .50BMG has got to be way further than 3200m!

I got the specs wrong, accurate to 3200m and effective to 5000m. Imagine a 1100gr projectile at 4600fps and this is why I've been in discussions with Border Force and the Attorney Generals Department cause they're worried I'll start shooting down jumbo jets. If / When approval is granted I'll post details of this new project. Failing to obtain approval I'll build a 375 Warhammer 2 for extended range giant bunny busting :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Garth » 10 Dec 2016, 7:40 pm

tried few different but best way I find is bore sight by eye works best for me old ways are best some times
Garth
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment