Bipod Accuracy

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Bipod Accuracy

Post by nightpusher1 » 29 Nov 2016, 3:57 pm

Hi all,

Whilst reading a few older threads I have noticed there seems to be a train of thought that using a bipod adversely effects accuracy ,is this the case?
nightpusher1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Bipod Accuracy

Post by Gwion » 29 Nov 2016, 4:28 pm

You really need to learn to use it properly but once you are practiced with your 'poddies rig you should be shoring very accurately indeed.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by nightpusher1 » 29 Nov 2016, 7:10 pm

Okay then - what constitutes using it properly.Reason I ask as I have noticed my rifle groups better off a rest than the bipod,is not terrible off the bipod but noticeably looser groups
nightpusher1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Sam45 » 29 Nov 2016, 7:51 pm

Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 29 Nov 2016, 8:36 pm

Like everything shooting, consistency is the key. With your average hunting bipod (as opposed to a target bipod), you need to pre-load the bipod. That is apply an even and consistent pressure on the rifle stock with your shoulder so that the pod 'loads' forward repeatably. This reduces any random bouncing, etc..

Hope that makes sense.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Streamline » 30 Nov 2016, 9:36 am

nightpusher1 wrote:Okay then - what constitutes using it properly.Reason I ask as I have noticed my rifle groups better off a rest than the bipod,is not terrible off the bipod but noticeably looser groups

This is my observation of other people here but it's possible your doing the same.

With a rest you're resting the rifle on it, same every time. You can't really do anything else, as if you pull or push it the rifle will move, so you end up shooting the same each time.

The traction of bipod feet lets you wiggle around a lot though without moving anywhere.

I've seen people load the bipod for one shot (apply slight forward pressure) then just let it rest for the second shot, which makes it hop a bit more. Later trying to get comfortable they sat back and pulled into into them. So the result is all over the place.

The rifle is going to recoil differently if it's being pushed, pulled or resting and shots will shot it.
Last edited by Streamline on 02 Dec 2016, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by nightpusher1 » 30 Nov 2016, 1:45 pm

Thanks to all who replied, especially Streamline - what you describe sounds exactly right .
nightpusher1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 30 Nov 2016, 3:35 pm

have a watch here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cg0KxIzgS4

key is consistency and factors like the surface you use the bipod on has a big effect of accuracy. not a massive issue when hunting at normal ranges but can be frustrating when load testing at the range

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 01 Dec 2016, 1:18 am

shooting off a pod was the best thing i did for my long range shooting , this is at 1026 yards
watch vid full screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAI4KLQ_sMM

7MM B G 9.JPG
7MM B G 9.JPG (64.02 KiB) Viewed 5023 times

and this was 1200 yards
7MM  BG 2.JPG
7MM BG 2.JPG (171.23 KiB) Viewed 5023 times

groups off my portable bench are not as good as a pod
IMG_1942 (Medium) (2).JPG
IMG_1942 (Medium) (2).JPG (151.95 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by aam » 01 Dec 2016, 3:12 pm

It only affects accuracy if you don't apply the fundamentals of markmanship, which recoil managment is part of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqFH0A7Py1Q
aam
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Sam45 » 01 Dec 2016, 6:20 pm

Mate perfect rifle for long range :) Going to watch the video now :thumbsup: What NF scope are you running?
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 01 Dec 2016, 7:04 pm

Sam45 wrote:Mate perfect rifle for long range :) Going to watch the video now :thumbsup: What NF scope are you running?

nearly as good as the one in the middle

IMG_2493 (Custom).JPG
IMG_2493 (Custom).JPG (500.89 KiB) Viewed 4979 times

both are NXS 5.5-22x56 one MOAR AND ONE MOART.........but i sold them and my cz 22 and bought this

1.1 boat (Medium).PNG
1.1 boat (Medium).PNG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 4979 times
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 01 Dec 2016, 7:54 pm

Waaaaaaat...... Nooo. Nice boat though :drinks: What cals are the 3 rifles? I am looking at grabbing one, Sendaro SFII in 7mm Just not too sure on the Fluted barrel. What are the other 2 cals you have? I know one is the 7mm. Did you bed the stocks or do any extra work to get the 7mm shooting tight groups? At a guess you would be handloading.

Sorry for the 20 questions.

Cheers

Sammy :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 01 Dec 2016, 8:14 pm

The 7mm rem mag sendero is exactly the same as mine.I shoot 168 sierra target bullets at the range and have great results
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by nightpusher1 » 01 Dec 2016, 8:27 pm

aam wrote:It only affects accuracy if you don't apply the fundamentals of markmanship, which recoil managment is part of.

Did you read the comments ?- don,t you think comments like "now try it with a Sako Finnlight 30-06 and see how it goes" has some merit.

Seems like there is more to it than a blanket statement such as yours!
nightpusher1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 01 Dec 2016, 10:56 pm

duncan61 wrote:The 7mm rem mag sendero is exactly the same as mine.I shoot 168 sierra target bullets at the range and have great results

um not quite ........ jewell trigger set at 6oz B&C M40 stock .the original crap H&S stock was dumped

and in this rifle the higher bc of the amax and burger 168 are far better at 1000 plus .

nightpusher1 wrote:
aam wrote:It only affects accuracy if you don't apply the fundamentals of markmanship, which recoil managment is part of.

Did you read the comments ?- don,t you think comments like "now try it with a Sako Finnlight 30-06 and see how it goes" has some merit.

Seems like there is more to it than a blanket statement such as yours!

yep a lot more stock has a lot to do with it .

Sam45 wrote:Waaaaaaat...... Nooo. Nice boat though :drinks: What cals are the 3 rifles? I am looking at grabbing one, Sendaro SFII in 7mm Just not too sure on the Fluted barrel. What are the other 2 cals you have? I know one is the 7mm. Did you bed the stocks or do any extra work to get the 7mm shooting tight groups? At a guess you would be handloading.

Sorry for the 20 questions.
Cheers
Sammy :thumbsup:

7mm rem mag 260R and 223R .

now i wouldn't buy a REMINGTON that came through raytrade if my life depended on it mine came from the US market
the barrel on the 7mm had a finish just as good as my maddco 264 barrel .

bs5.jpg
bs5.jpg (28.11 KiB) Viewed 4950 times

and this pic was taken after 450 rounds .

good stocks don't need bedding the 5 B&C stocks that i had only one needed it and it was sold pronto and replaced .

and yes hand loading you won't get groups like this at these ranges with factory rounds they are tuned to the rifle .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Pom » 02 Dec 2016, 9:20 am

Cracker at 1,200 there.
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Streamline » 02 Dec 2016, 9:26 am

nightpusher1 wrote:Thanks to all who replied, especially Streamline - what you describe sounds exactly right .

No problemo
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 03 Dec 2016, 4:49 pm

What do you mean by this? Is this the importer?

"now i wouldn't buy a REMINGTON that came through raytrade if my life depended on it mine came from the US market"
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 03 Dec 2016, 7:15 pm

if i told you you would be like most others and not believe it and i can't as it's against forum rules .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 03 Dec 2016, 8:50 pm

deye243 wrote:if i told you you would be like most others and not believe it and i can't as it's against forum rules .

Could send me a pm?
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 03 Dec 2016, 9:18 pm

Sam45 wrote:
deye243 wrote:if i told you you would be like most others and not believe it and i can't as it's against forum rules .

Could send me a pm?

PM me your PH #
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 03 Dec 2016, 9:35 pm

deye243 wrote:
Sam45 wrote:

Could send me a pm?

PM me your PH #

Done.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blackened » 06 Dec 2016, 10:53 am

Sam45 wrote:

Could send me a pm?

No problem here Sam but for your future reference, if people have grievances with a particular supplier, store, service provider etc. we don't want them aired publicly on the forum, as Deye said.

It only causes drama and attracts unwanted attention.

Private messaging is best for such discussions.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 08 Dec 2016, 5:45 pm

Blackened wrote:
Sam45 wrote:

Could send me a pm?

No problem here Sam but for your future reference, if people have grievances with a particular supplier, store, service provider etc. we don't want them aired publicly on the forum, as Deye said.

It only causes drama and attracts unwanted attention.

Private messaging is best for such discussions.

Yep cool no worries :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment