Electronic ear muffs

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Electronic ear muffs

Post by pete1 » 02 Jan 2017, 7:26 pm

I've being thinking of going to electronic ear muff, any one use them? Anyone recommend a pair?
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Electronic ear muffs

Post by rsj223 » 02 Jan 2017, 7:28 pm

I got a cheap pair from ebay to try and love them, as soon as they pack up I will get a better quality pair.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Browning » 02 Jan 2017, 7:31 pm

I've had some Howard Leights for ages now and they're brilliant.
Comfy, can hear well, block the noise and battery lasts forever.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 02 Jan 2017, 7:32 pm

I used a pair of my mates when zeroing in the other day and they were fantastic
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 02 Jan 2017, 7:42 pm

I bought 2 pair when the mrs took up shooting WORST thing I ever did I can still hear her when im shooting lol sometimes i just rember 1 pair for her and use the 3M pelitor one for me lol
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 02 Jan 2017, 7:54 pm

i bought a cheap set ,about 60 bucks or there about ,works great, only use them on the range, when im out hunting i use the ear plugs on the plastic arm set up :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 02 Jan 2017, 8:02 pm

Browning wrote:I've had some Howard Leights for ages now and they're brilliant.
Comfy, can hear well, block the noise and battery lasts forever.

+1
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 02 Jan 2017, 8:07 pm

I've had some Peltor sport tactical for quite a while. I've also heard good things about the Howard leights. Electronic ear muffs are a revelation, once you try some you'll wonder why you waited.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 02 Jan 2017, 8:12 pm

I bought some night prowlers off ebay a couple of years back for something like $40 on special just to try. I love em. Wound up buying everyone I know a pair for christmas and they all love em, too. Comparing them against some of the name brand specifications, there's really no difference. When I hunt, I like to be able to hear people I'm with as well as the rustle of bushes, cracks of twigs, etc. These let me do that (and even amplify it for me a little) without losing my hearing. One of the best shooting accessories you'll ever buy.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by albat » 02 Jan 2017, 8:14 pm

The howard leights r slimline and dont get in the way of your rifle stock they fold up real small so you can stuff em in a jacket pocket when out hunting ,come with an aux cord for listening to justin beber when the ferals are a bit slow :lol: and work as they should do +1 for these beautys
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Jan 2017, 8:22 pm

I highly recommend electronic earmuffs. :thumbsup:

I've got a pair of 3M Peltors.
images (13).jpg
images (13).jpg (11.55 KiB) Viewed 4434 times

I can turn them right up and hear a goat fart from 400 meters and foxes calling out from literally blody miles away or you can tune the volume just right so everything sounds normal.

When wearing them at night whistling for foxes, I can hear the echo of my whistle in places where you'd least expect to hear an echo.
It's amazing what you can hear with super human hearing.

During the summer months they can be a bit hot and sweaty to wear ( as all earmuffs are), during the cooler months you don't want to take them off.

I'm getting around 10 hours from a pair of fully charged aaa batteries,unlike every other battery powered device I own, when the batteries are flat the earmuffs are still useful ... they still work as earmuffs.

They can feel a little bulky against the rifle / shotgun stock but you soon get use to that.

It's just great to be able to hear EVERYTHING and not have your ears smashed by gunshots.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pete1 » 02 Jan 2017, 8:52 pm

What do you reckon a Howard Leights or 3M Peltors set me back, probably go to the gunstore tomorrow try a few on cause i really like the idea of being slim comfy.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by albat » 02 Jan 2017, 9:11 pm

85 dollars for the howard leights on ebay currently not sure about the 3m peltors
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 02 Jan 2017, 9:41 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I highly recommend electronic earmuffs. :thumbsup:

I've got a pair of 3M Peltors.
images (13).jpg

I can turn them right up and hear a goat fart from 400 meters and foxes calling out from literally blody miles away or you can tune the volume just right so everything sounds normal.

When wearing them at night whistling for foxes, I can hear the echo of my whistle in places where you'd least expect to hear an echo.
It's amazing what you can hear with super human hearing.

During the summer months they can be a bit hot and sweaty to wear ( as all earmuffs are), during the cooler months you don't want to take them off.

I'm getting around 10 hours from a pair of fully charged aaa batteries,unlike every other battery powered device I own, when the batteries are flat the earmuffs are still useful ... they still work as earmuffs.

They can feel a little bulky against the rifle / shotgun stock but you soon get use to that.

It's just great to be able to hear EVERYTHING and not have your ears smashed by gunshots.

The only issue with these is they only give you 22Db protection,similar to my howard leights. fine for hunting but not for a day at the range for me so I wear class 5 soft plugs under them for a bit of extra protection and the amplification overcomes that.

Steve
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 03 Jan 2017, 7:19 am

I'll put my vote in for the Howard Leights. Light, comfortable, compact. Bought a pair in the 'States last year for about $60 US. Fantastic at the range when shooting black-powder, you can hear your spotter, range calls, etc. I wear ear plugs under them when shooting high-power silhouette, just turn the volume up.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 03 Jan 2017, 8:07 am

It's weird about the level of performance in terms of decibel protection, why would something designed specifically for shooters not be built to the highest level of performance?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 03 Jan 2017, 8:41 am

I think it's a compromise between keeping the ear muffs slim line and db reduction. A higher rating would require much bulkier muffs, a feature not particularly favoured by shooters.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by buckle » 03 Jan 2017, 9:28 am

Can't say I've ever found bulky ones to be a pain personally.

Not trying to brush my hair while I'm at the range :lol:
buckle
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jan 2017, 10:55 pm

No, but it can be a damn sight harder to get a good cheek weld when your ear muffs are 3 inches thick. :D
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jan 2017, 8:25 am

Bent Arrow wrote:It's weird about the level of performance in terms of decibel protection, why would something designed specifically for shooters not be built to the highest level of performance?

In the case of normal muffs it's to allow you to have some hearing still. So you are aware of the environment around you and hear warning sounds such as forklift reverse beepers. And also you can hear speech whilst still wearing them. It's a compromise.
For electronics I think it will be as previously mentioned, to keep them compact and light weight

Edit, some designs/models are bias to provide greater protection to high or low pitch sounds.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment