looking at a bipod for my rifle

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

looking at a bipod for my rifle

Post by colsta » 13 Jan 2017, 4:53 pm

hi guys been looking at buying a bipod for the tikka was looking at this one as i can change it between rifles really easy [urlhttp://www.vanguardworld.us/hunting_us/equalizer-1qs.html#go-sectionTop][/url] what does everybody think or have got one thanks colin
Screenshot_376.png
Screenshot_376.png (110.79 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
Savage 22lr
tikka t3 223
rossi puma lever action 45
colsta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: looking at a bipod for my rifle

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jan 2017, 5:27 am

What purpose are you using it for ie hunting or range use? that will help determine if it will suit or not much better.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by superdave » 14 Jan 2017, 6:41 am

Colsta, looks like a good 'un.

The question about field or range use is a good one, The thing that tripped me up last time I bought a bipod was that I didn't buy one with long enough legs.
Unless you're shooting on flat ground where short legs are ok most of the time, it can happen that your target chooses to sit in the most inconvenient place ie across a gully, where youre on ground sloping downhill and you can't get the legs down to help you make the shot.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jan 2017, 7:05 am

superdave wrote:Colsta, looks like a good 'un.

The question about field or range use is a good one, The thing that tripped me up last time I bought a bipod was that I didn't buy one with long enough legs.
Unless you're shooting on flat ground where short legs are ok most of the time, it can happen that your target chooses to sit in the most inconvenient place ie across a gully, where youre on ground sloping downhill and you can't get the legs down to help you make the shot.

Yep you will need a few diff length versions if you want to cover all purposes, I've got a 6-9" for range type use and have the 27" version for field use (it's the one I use 99% of the time as I don't really frequent ranges much these days if at all) Also get one with a locpod setup on it to help with the longer shots if needed.

Some of the cheaper ones seem to be ok (got a few Harris knockoffs and they work fine (not as solid and as stable as the Harris but still quite usable I find but would recommend buying the harris if you want the better quality stuff.

I tried shooting sticks recently - no good to me - I was like a drunk moving all over the place :lol:

I also have a versapod which isn't bad but again it's designed for shooting prone or bench type work so not really that flexible when it comes to field use where angles and longer grass type situations are common.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 14 Jan 2017, 8:53 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 21 Feb 2017, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jan 2017, 8:58 am

Also try and get one with the cant and pan type features, makes like easier in hunting situations where the grounds often uneven and having some sort of pan ability can help when tracking stuff that's moving around a bit waiting for it to stop or slow down to take a shot (not needed for range use but definitely better for hunting purposes).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jan 2017, 9:03 am

happyhunter wrote:I got one of these except it's the 6.5" to 12.5 model. They are a bargain.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SHOOTERS-RI ... Sw2xRYU~wE

Use it on the 22, 222, and 308. never failed in 8 years of use, but like the others have said longer legs can be helpful in the field, although I've managed to get away with it by placing my backpack under the bipod when a bit more height is needed.

Not much good if you want to sit down or shoot in longer grass type situations but fine for prone shooting in the short stuff. I've got a similar version but I think it's a 23" max and it's ok (still a little short for me) but usable when resting on my boots. :D

Mind you nothings long enough at the moment around here with the grass the length it is (hard time finding a Giraffe it's that bloody long! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by colsta » 15 Jan 2017, 11:58 am

im looking at both hunting and target but if i need to i would get one suited to targets and then one solely for hunting
Savage 22lr
tikka t3 223
rossi puma lever action 45
colsta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jan 2017, 12:08 pm

colsta wrote:im looking at both hunting and target but if i need to i would get one suited to targets and then one solely for hunting

Yeah that's your best bet mate, one won't cover everything you want to do (target shooting/hunting) get a 6-9" for target work off a bench and for hunting go the longest available 27" as you can sit down and shoot and if you can get one that cants and swivels you will find that gives you the flexibility that is needed in hunting situations.

good luck :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment