Witt muzzle brakes

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Witt muzzle brakes

Post by Goshawk » 29 Jan 2017, 12:54 pm

Hi all.
Anyone have any experience with Witt muzzle brakes?
Are we allowed to import them in Australia?
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Witt muzzle brakes

Post by Varmtr » 29 Jan 2017, 1:38 pm

May need a B709A for our customs the main problem will be with the US of A with the ATAR's best to email Witt Machining and see what they say.
If you are willing to get the barrel threaded have a look at APA muzzle breaks very effective imported by Huntsman Firearms. No need to time them as they have and locking nut.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jan 2017, 2:41 pm

Varmtr wrote:No need to time them as they have a locking nut.

That is timing the brake.
Aren't all muzzle attachments timed with a locknut?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bark » 30 Jan 2017, 3:24 pm

Apologies if going off topic here to tell you something you already know, but if you wanted to skip the import hassle you could always look at HSS clamp on brakes.

They get good reviews, and they're local.

FYI.
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 30 Jan 2017, 5:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Varmtr wrote:No need to time them as they have a locking nut.

That is timing the brake.
Aren't all muzzle attachments timed with a locknut?

Nope....McMillan Tac50, DTA 50, 416 & 375 have no locknut so I'm assuming the timing is either machined in or not deemed important enough. The brake on Project 50 is custom made and tuned to the barrel by the smith so it probably won't have a locknut. On the mass produced Barrett offerings there's both a locknut and a clamp but I suspect these are more to allow for proper alignment rather then actual timing.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 30 Jan 2017, 6:27 pm

Errr... excuse my general ignorance but what the hell is timing?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 30 Jan 2017, 6:39 pm

Gwion wrote:Errr... excuse my general ignorance but what the hell is timing?

There's 2 parts to this,

Timing - Ensuring the ports are correctly aligned dead horizontal so as not to create any weird torque action. Can be either precision machined then torqued, Crush washer, Lock nut or combination of crush washer and lock nut.

Harmonics - Distance from crown to first baffle and diameter of bore. This is a dark art that while I'm aware of it I have no great insight into what's involved. I have done some research on barrel tuners and might try one on the 50BR if possible.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Goshawk » 30 Jan 2017, 7:56 pm

Bark wrote:Apologies if going off topic here to tell you something you already know, but if you wanted to skip the import hassle you could always look at HSS clamp on brakes.

They get good reviews, and they're local.

FYI.

Already contacted them and they don't make one that will fit my howa mini-action heavy barrel.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jan 2017, 8:11 pm

brett1868 wrote:Nope....McMillan Tac50, DTA 50, 416 & 375 have no locknut so I'm assuming the timing is either machined in or not deemed important enough. The brake on Project 50 is custom made and tuned to the barrel by the smith so it probably won't have a locknut. On the mass produced Barrett offerings there's both a locknut and a clamp but I suspect these are more to allow for proper alignment rather then actual timing.

They're not shimmed either?
That's a lot of extra work to cut the thread to time the attachment.
It would have to be fitted to each barrel.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Jan 2017, 8:23 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Gwion wrote:Errr... excuse my general ignorance but what the hell is timing?

There's 2 parts to this,

Timing - Ensuring the ports are correctly aligned dead horizontal so as not to create any weird torque action. Can be either precision machined then torqued, Crush washer, Lock nut or combination of crush washer and lock nut.

Harmonics - Distance from crown to first baffle and diameter of bore. This is a dark art that while I'm aware of it I have no great insight into what's involved. I have done some research on barrel tuners and might try one on the 50BR if possible.

Cheers Brett. Makes sense. Thanks.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 31 Jan 2017, 6:49 am

bladeracer wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Nope....McMillan Tac50, DTA 50, 416 & 375 have no locknut so I'm assuming the timing is either machined in or not deemed important enough. The brake on Project 50 is custom made and tuned to the barrel by the smith so it probably won't have a locknut. On the mass produced Barrett offerings there's both a locknut and a clamp but I suspect these are more to allow for proper alignment rather then actual timing.

They're not shimmed either?
That's a lot of extra work to cut the thread to time the attachment.
It would have to be fitted to each barrel.

No shim on the Tac50 but the DTA's appear to possibly have a shim. I watched a machinist fit a brake where he torqued it up, measured how far off horizontal it was then turned a few thou off so it lined up perfect. Definitely not a technique for mass production unless done with some clever CNC gear.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment