bent cleaning rod

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

bent cleaning rod

Post by Robbie1007 » 01 Apr 2017, 11:00 pm

hey fellas just wondering if you rekon a 1 cm bend in my one peice cleaning rod would really hurt anything when cleaning or would it be alright thanks in advance!
Robbie1007
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: bent cleaning rod

Post by AusTac » 01 Apr 2017, 11:28 pm

If it's not going straight down the bore it's not worth using in my opinion, wheres the bend and more importantly, how did you bed it? Haha
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Robbie1007 » 01 Apr 2017, 11:43 pm

AusTac wrote:If it's not going straight down the bore it's not worth using in my opinion, wheres the bend and more importantly, how did you bed it? Haha

fair enough but would it acutlly hurt it in anyway its starts about 3 quarters down the rod
got it online a couple of weeks ago so cant really return it now haha
Robbie1007
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Apr 2017, 6:05 am

Put the jag end in a drill and then get two pieces of timber and with the drill running sandwich the rod between the two pieces of timber and run the timber up and down the rod whilst it's spinning, should help straighten it out reasonably well (I do this to mine when I bend them) and seems to work quite well. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Apr 2017, 10:03 am

I'm here to find out how that fix works :unknown: ;) :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Robbie1007 » 02 Apr 2017, 2:14 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Put the jag end in a drill and then get two pieces of timber and with the drill running sandwich the rod between the two pieces of timber and run the timber up and down the rod whilst it's spinning, should help straighten it out reasonably well (I do this to mine when I bend them) and seems to work quite well. :drinks:

ye thanks mate! definitely helped its about a 4-5 mm bend now would that be alright to use ya rekon?
Robbie1007
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Apr 2017, 2:39 pm

Robbie1007 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Put the jag end in a drill and then get two pieces of timber and with the drill running sandwich the rod between the two pieces of timber and run the timber up and down the rod whilst it's spinning, should help straighten it out reasonably well (I do this to mine when I bend them) and seems to work quite well. :drinks:

ye thanks mate! definitely helped its about a 4-5 mm bend now would that be alright to use ya rekon?

Not sure I'd use it - can't get it a bit straighter with more pressure perhaps (see if you can clamp the 2 pieces of wood and rod in a vice and spin the rod with a drill and just tighten the vice up slightly and keep doing so until until you are happy with it.\

Can't hurt to try. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Robbie1007 » 02 Apr 2017, 6:44 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Robbie1007 wrote:

Not sure I'd use it - can't get it a bit straighter with more pressure perhaps (see if you can clamp the 2 pieces of wood and rod in a vice and spin the rod with a drill and just tighten the vice up slightly and keep doing so until until you are happy with it.\

Can't hurt to try. :thumbsup:

yup looks pretty good now only 3mm max should be alright now shouldnt it will straighten when it goes down that barrel so it wont scratch?
Robbie1007
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Apr 2017, 7:11 pm

No it Won't straighten when it goes down the barrel :x The only reason it would go down the barrel would be if it was "straightened" by the bore. Now how good is that going to be for your barrel?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Apr 2017, 8:17 pm

Compared to a lump of copper doing 2600 FPS, it will do sfa damage in my book.

I would just straighten mine out by eye using a vice.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment