Self-healing targets

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Self-healing targets

Post by WaltzingMatilda » 02 Apr 2017, 11:32 pm

Folk,

Can anyone report on the use of self-healing targets with centre-fire cartridges?

We are considering using self-healing targets for a range where we have restrictions on the use of steel. I've only every used the solid ball type for small-bore training and I'm wondering how the plate-style targets will go with centre-fire rounds up to 8 mm. My assumption is the FMJ rounds will be fine but hollowpoint or ballistic tip rounds may be a problem.

Thanks

Walt.
WaltzingMatilda
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Self-healing targets

Post by GLS_1956 » 03 Apr 2017, 3:08 am

I have several Do-All brand self healing targets. Two are the 4 inch box targets and one is the 9 inch gong style, both of these, or all three if you wish, have absorbed hundreds and hundreds of 22 rimfire hits, and hundreds of centerfire rounds. In the case of the box targets it has mainly been 45ACP; 230 gr ball and 230 gr hollow point, 38 special; 130 gr FMJ, 158 gr round nose lead and hollow point and 125 gr JHP, 357 Mag 158 gr JHP, 158 gr half jacket lead, and 140 gr jacketed semi-wadcutter.

The 9 inch gong has taken hundreds of additional hits, in addition to the 22 LR/22 mag, from 30 carbine and 223 Remington, both ball ammo and hollow points, as well as uncounted numbers of 45Colt fired from a selection of lever action rifles.

The box targets are in better shape because they "bounce around" after getting hit and so take hits over wider area, while the gong has tended to take more shots in the center of its mass. But both are still usable.

http://www.doalloutdoors.com/product-ca ... pact-seal/
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Supaduke » 03 Apr 2017, 6:28 am

I have a self healing 'star'. It's a spiky star shaped ball that moves along the ground. It has also taken hundreds of hits. The only issue I have found is if the round doesn't pass through and actually gets stuck in the star. Slowly but surely the ball is filling up with lead (.22lr) and is getting quite heavy. Getting to a point where I will need to try and dig them out or bin it. From what I can tell they are very hard wearing and you should get pretty good use out of any self healing target.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by chookah » 10 Apr 2017, 11:19 am

I must have seen the wrong brands because the only ones I've seen guys shooting (haven't bought any myself) where more light half closed holes than healed.

Put a .30 cal through it and get a .10 cal hole. So it's going to last 3x more than shooting a conventional target but it's still slowly coming apart.

I just bought a steel gong. No healing because no damage.
Remington 700 Sendero SF II
7mm Remington Magnum

Tikka T3 Lite
.223 Remington
chookah
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment