Shopping list for newbie going to USA

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Shopping list for newbie going to USA

Post by Yipikaye » 13 May 2017, 9:38 pm

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to target shooting and hunting. Have just put a deposit on my first rifle.

Luckily I have to go to Dallas TX for work. I'll have some time to go to some ranges and shopping.

What is cheap I should get? I need pretty much everything! I'd rather avoid things which may be difficult through customs on the way home.

Thanks!!
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Shopping list for newbie going to USA

Post by wrenchman » 14 May 2017, 8:27 am

look up some ramchs and hunt some hogs and javelina
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Yipikaye » 14 May 2017, 8:59 am

I do plan to reload but not for a little while yet. I think I'll be back in USA before I start.

Is hunting clothing cheap? What about scopes?
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 14 May 2017, 9:56 am

Yipikaye wrote:
Is hunting clothing cheap?

Clothes and shoes are cheap that's what I will be buying when I go over in July.

Last time I was there I picked up Tommy Hilfiger jeans for $23.

Carhartt and Tactical 511 are pants I will be getting this time, durable well made stuff that lasts a long time.

Check out Bestbuy.com for laptop and mobile phone prices
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 14 May 2017, 9:58 am

Just bring me back a remington 870 and an AR-10? Kthanks

You can buy literally anything your little heart wants over there for sometimes half the price, last time i was there, i was pre license/guns but if i was to go back, nick nacks like stocks,cheeck risers, clothing,jackets would be first on my list, oh and the knives! Don't get carried away though, gotta gst back through customs
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Yipikaye » 14 May 2017, 10:24 am

Good tips. I'm thinking a jacket and good wet weather pants and some shooting gloves.

I have great boots as my wife and I love hiking.

What about things I should take to the range? Sand bags and stuff?
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 14 May 2017, 10:27 am

Sand bags and stuff you can get here, but if you can get away with the weight and find some bag rest eg that you really want why not
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gamerancher » 14 May 2017, 10:47 am

Make sure you have a calculator on you to work out the actual cost in Aussie dollars. A fair bit of stuff that looks cheap actually 'aint when you do the conversion.
The big stores like Cabelas and Bass Pro have an awesome range of gear and clothing, just be aware of where the stuff is actually made. There isn't much point in travelling to the U.S and buying Chinese made junk you can get here anyway.
Reloading dies and accessories can be found at good prices but I've seen presses at the same price in $US as what we pay here in $Aus.
You can't bring back stuff like brass, action parts, barrels or "mil-spec" scopes. Need export and import permits for that. As a non-resident, you cannot buy any firearms while you are there.
We usually buy things like Wrangler jeans, ( from $16 if you can find a "Big R" store), quality socks, shirts, etc. Just remove all tags and packaging from anything you buy, no problems at customs when coming home.
I also resupply my stock of cleaning patches, black-powder lube, wads and such as I can get it for about 1/4 of the cost here at home.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 14 May 2017, 1:10 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
Yipikaye wrote:
Is hunting clothing cheap?

Clothes and shoes are cheap that's what I will be buying when I go over in July.

Last time I was there I picked up Tommy Hilfiger jeans for $23.

Carhartt and Tactical 511 are pants I will be getting this time, durable well made stuff that lasts a long time.

Check out Bestbuy.com for laptop and mobile phone prices

511 durable and lasting :lol: Im lucky to get 12 months out of ATAC boots Im on 3rd pair now. And their strike pants the crotch has worn and thread holed after just shy of 18 months.
Trying to find another lightweight tac boot for work now that last more than a year.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 15 May 2017, 10:09 pm

magneto speed,(,its a crony ) :thumbsup: scopes, the list is endless,you may need to take out a loan :)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Yipikaye » 15 May 2017, 10:15 pm

Lots of great ideas. Thanks everyone. Seems there are a few things we can get here for a great price too.

Lots of research to do.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 15 May 2017, 10:41 pm

Get a bench rest Caldwell rock br
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 15 May 2017, 10:53 pm

bentaz wrote:Also if you plan on reloading then presses and dies etc will be cheaper over the pond.

+1. Shut loads cheaper, but weight might be an issue.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 16 May 2017, 12:42 am

sungazer wrote:Blundstone steel caps. Buy here last for years.

Tried Blundstone lasted me 8 months they were worse than steel blues.

Only 2 boots have had last 2 or more years are RMWs and Mongrels oddly enough.

Not after a work style boot anymore I am after a lightweight tac style as prefer them for amount of walking I do in my work and regular use.

Anyhow not gonna hijack this post will eventually find what I'm chasing
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jimbo047 » 24 May 2017, 4:26 am

I travel to the US pretty often and usually take a look at the local stores. Practically EVERYTHING is cheaper there, so if you are going to want it some time, buy it. Check for stores with current specials and sales.

Scope mounts, rings, cleaning gear (not liquid solvents), bipods, slings, bags, tools. Definitely reloading dies if you are going down that path.

Don't buy a scope because export from the US is restricted. Don't buy ammo components (cartridges, projectiles) because import into Australia is restricted. Don't buy flammable liquids, primers, powder, ammo. Don't buy any liquids over 100 mL.
Jimbo047
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 01 Jun 2017, 1:43 am

Not a fan of 5.11's new pants but their standard canvas tactical pants are excellent. Never found anything better.

If you do some traveling around, do your research, there are always lots of good gun stores out there and some mega large stores too, Brownells for instance in Iowa now has a large retail store at their home base.

Around Dallas you should be able to find indoor and maybe some outdoor ranges that have guns for rent, including machine guns. Also there are plenty of hunting ranches in Texas, no shortage of those.

Non citizens can actually purchase guns if they are here on something like a temporary work visa or student visa and obtain a hunting license.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 01 Jun 2017, 2:01 am

let us no how you did.
did my souther brothers take care of you.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Yipikaye » 01 Jun 2017, 8:01 am

wrenchman wrote:let us no how you did.
did my souther brothers take care of you.

Will do. I'm leaving next Friday :)

Work has got me a car so I can drive around to some ranges
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 02 Jun 2017, 12:57 am

if you are there on a weeknd check and see if there are any gun shows lot of second hand stuff you can look them up on line
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Yipikaye » 11 Jun 2017, 1:18 pm

Got some great Tac gloves and clothing!

I was looking for a good rear bag but haven't been able to find the right one. I'm thinking of just getting one online.

Any one you would recommend.

Most of the online ones are unfilled. Would it be ok for me to just fill with sand?
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hugh » 20 Aug 2017, 7:54 am

Also check sportsmans warehouse and Scheels.On subect of clothing nearly everything is made in china or south america.Blunstones are a fashion over there and a pair of non steelcap boots I bought in au for$70 was close to $300 over there,they are also made in china.Biggest savings were made buying clothing for Grandson on the sales,best dressed kid in Pakenham.We travelled to AK recently and found a chain of store called Fred Myers I bought a Tomtom 6 in with lifetime maps for just over $100 and Columbia fleece jackets in como or plain colors for $25.Also keep an eye out for Premium Outlets,collection of various stores at discount prices,on our first trip I was admiring Seiko watch at duty free Tullamarine for over $1000 bought same watch 4 days later at Seiko factory outlet at the premium outlets north las vegas for $150 ended up buying 2.So plenty of bargains to be had,of course go to Cabelas have been to the Waco store worth looking at and Bass Pro shops.Good Trip Hugh
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by scoobs » 20 Aug 2017, 12:33 pm

i purchased a scope.rings and some bipods cheap in texas. magazines and ammo components are a definite no go.

just check before you purchase. eg, not all scopes are export restricted.
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hugh » 21 Aug 2017, 12:31 pm

sungazer wrote:I would recommend the Seb rear bags from Q store or a Protektor bag yes just fill them with builders sand. run the sand through a sieve first to get the fine sand it will pack down nicely. If you really want to go all out you can get what is called heavy sand also from the q store really not needed.

Buy washed sand its cheaper and no need to sieve.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment