Wooden targets

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Wooden targets

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 Jun 2017, 9:07 pm

I've got a couple of steel targets, but thinking of making some small wooden ones for use with the 22lr for a bit of fun with the young bloke. Something like a 6 to 12" length of 2x4 pine as reactive "knock-down" targets. Anybody done this? Is there a reason why this isn't a good idea? One of reasons for trying this is to eliminate potential for a ricochet.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Wooden targets

Post by Gwion » 04 Jun 2017, 9:29 pm

If you shoot enough you'll be replacing them all the time. Other than that, all good.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jun 2017, 9:37 pm

Tumble targets are great fun for kids (mine love shooting them) also the spinner targets are great too and haven't had any Ricochet issues with either. As G said the timber one will need replacing often depending on how much shooting is done, all I do with the tumble ones is give em a quick spray with Fluro Orange and they are good to go.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 Jun 2017, 9:46 pm

What ammo for 22lr are you using for steel targets? I'm talking plinking ammo here.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 04 Jun 2017, 9:55 pm

Any 22lr will knock timber targets around a lot. I've used shipping pellets as backboards with 14mm ply over them and cut the struts in half over time. It was the ply holding it together in the end. 22lr has more punch than people think.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 Jun 2017, 10:30 pm

Yeah. I know they're not going to last very long.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 04 Jun 2017, 11:07 pm

Little patches of ply will hold together better than sold planks of 4b2. Try 6" square of ply screwed to the thin side of a 4b2 as a stand. Draw or paint and aim mark to it and just screw a new bit of ply on as needed. You'll still end up hitting the plank but I reckon you'll get longer out of each target. Good for placing randomly in the paddock.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment