Essential items for a new shooter?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Essential items for a new shooter?

Post by Archie » 11 Jun 2017, 9:49 pm

scaredyet wrote:
Dexer wrote:What are the four rifles you have?

CZ 452 Special .22LR
CZ 452 Varmint ( I love the thick barrel and Turkish walnut stock) .22LR
Tikka T3x CTR .308
Howa Mini Action Varmint .223

I just need a 20" and 28" shotgun and that's it for me

All very nice bits of kit. But please send some bullets downrange. And when you do, start with the .22s, then the .223 and after you've got good with that, the .308. What most people do, if they are adult-onset-shooters, ie they didn't grow up learning on dads .303, is they buy stuff progressively as they get used to it, and generally move up in calibres over time. The alternative is just painful. I was next to a guy few months back at the range, he'd bought his first rifle, some guy had sold him a .30-06, lovely rifle and he was having zero fun and it was clearly scaring him a bit and he was regretting the whole thing. Totally unnecessary if he'd started with something more suitable. I reckon for your first range trip just take the .22s, leave the other rifles at home and get yourself comfortable with the gear, the safety rules and the whole thing, and burn a bucket of ammo.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dexer » 12 Jun 2017, 12:02 am

Probably not bad advice if you've not been around firearms much. Going from a .22 to a 30 cal can provide quite the shock(wave).
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Jun 2017, 3:42 am

Okay, scaredyet:

Let me preface my comments/suggestions by pointing out I'm an American, where we have what I'll call a more reasonable environment towards guns and shooting in general. Now I belong to and shoot at a local gun club range, where we are pretty much on our own when it comes to targets and target holders, so I always take those along with me. Thankfully my range has the space to allow for more than paper punching, so reactive targets, which can include steel, polymer, metal cans and water filled plastic bottles, are a nice break, just be sure to clean up afterwards.

Gear wise I always take a multi-tool with me, target hole market/patches, duct tape (you'll be surprised how handy that stuff is), a bottle of water and a role of toilet paper. A spotting scope is nice, especially if your shooting at a target a hundred or more yards (meters) away. That 40X, 60X or more scope sure beats the trek down range after a few shots to see how you're hitting.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Jun 2017, 10:34 am

Here is my current list :)

[x] breach flags
[x] Gloves
[x] rear rest
[x] Sling
[x] Camo gear
[x] Range bag + range mat (2 in one)
[ ] .308 (deposit paid)
[x] 8 gun safe
[ ] Bipod (deposit paid)
[x] Safe dehumidifier
[ ] Muzzle brake (deposit paid)
[ ] Rifle hard case (deposit paid)
[ ] Scope 50mm Objective ?-16/50
[x] Gun sock for Tikka
[ ] .22 LR rifle + scope (2nd hand)
[x] Pickitinny rail spirit level
[ ] Ammo
[ ] Ammo box + lock
[x] Gun sock for .22
[ ] Gun oil
[ ] Cleaner - degreaser liquid
[ ] .308 fixed rod with rotating/free handle
[x] .308 bronze brush, mops & Jag
[ ] 22 fixed rod with rotating/free handle
[x] 22LR bronze brush, mops & Jag
[x] Bore guides
[x] Cleaning patches
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 15 Jun 2017, 10:46 am

Omfg. Guns, ammo, cleaning products. That's it. Rest is purchased as required rather than in anticipation.

...did I mention ammo? Seriously, lots of ammo. And start thinking reloading. Everything else is bulls**t.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jun 2017, 10:51 am

Oldbloke wrote:"actually forgot to add the range finder which is an Aldi one."

I stuffed up there. Didn't get one.

To help you out a bit, more info would be good. What's the plan, manly target or hunting, and if hunting what?

Again. It would help a lot if we knew your intended purpose?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Jun 2017, 10:52 am

I like to have stuff as I need it :) don't want to do 10 trips to the store.

Also I've been looking online and in stores for the last few months so they've all been bargains as I just wait for the right thing to come up.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 15 Jun 2017, 1:56 pm

I want to use the CZ 452 Varmint strictly for the range, I bought all after market products to do it up, even though I don't even know how it shoots. CZ 452 Special will be for plinking, rabbits and I have targets set up at 100mtr on the farm. The tikka T3x and the Howa .223 was bought just because I wanted to have something that covers all bases even though I don't even know what I'll shoot. I want a 28" shotgun for some clay targets and a 20" for just shooting things around the farm, again I don't know what I'll shoot.

Bigfellascott is from the same area as I am and no doubt has more experience in shooting and will know what game is out our way.

Mainly just plinking guys but I like the fact that I can have a firearm just to play around with
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 15 Jun 2017, 2:46 pm

bentaz wrote:Take off your shopping skirt, put on your big boy pants and just go shoot some stuff!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Browning » 15 Jun 2017, 7:18 pm

bentaz wrote:Take off your shopping skirt, put on your big boy pants and just go shoot some stuff!

Could not have said it better myself! Stop buying s**t and go and use it! Don't be one of those guys, "all the gear and no idea"

Start using it NOW and the you'll discover pretty quickly what you do/don't need. Bet you realize quickly that firearm ownership is easier when you keep it simple...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Archie » 15 Jun 2017, 9:12 pm

Browning wrote:

Could not have said it better myself! Stop buying s**t and go and use it! Don't be one of those guys, "all the gear and no idea"

Start using it NOW and the you'll discover pretty quickly what you do/don't need. Bet you realize quickly that firearm ownership is easier when you keep it simple...

First time I went to a range I had one rifle, three duffel bags full of kit and I couldn't hit a damn thing. Whereas after a lot of practice and much ammo - well, I still can't hit a damn thing but at least I've got the ratio to four rifles and one duffel bag. Progress!
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jun 2017, 9:17 am

scaredyet wrote:I want to use the CZ 452 Varmint strictly for the range, I bought all after market products to do it up, even though I don't even know how it shoots. CZ 452 Special will be for plinking, rabbits and I have targets set up at 100mtr on the farm. The tikka T3x and the Howa .223 was bought just because I wanted to have something that covers all bases even though I don't even know what I'll shoot. I want a 28" shotgun for some clay targets and a 20" for just shooting things around the farm, again I don't know what I'll shoot.

Bigfellascott is from the same area as I am and no doubt has more experience in shooting and will know what game is out our way.

Mainly just plinking guys but I like the fact that I can have a firearm just to play around with

You won't need 2 diff shotgun barrel lengths, the 28" will do everything you need it too :thumbsup: and the other cals you have will be fine for everything out this way and as someone said I wouldn't be buying too much stuff just yet, get used to shooting first and as you get into it more you will be better able to work out what you really do and don't need. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 16 Jun 2017, 10:00 am

Spend your money on ammo and shoot it already! ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by scaredyet » 21 Jun 2017, 5:46 pm

Just bought an Adler and about $500 worth of extras for it hehe and no ammo to be seen
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 21 Jun 2017, 6:28 pm

...am I the only one who's beginning to think this is a wind-up?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 21 Jun 2017, 8:08 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/37p1k4pd18n5 ... LREMa?dl=0

When I get the parts for my Adler I will upload them as well. As I said I'm a person that likes to modify/improve things. Yes I understand I should shoot first but this is me.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 21 Jun 2017, 8:15 pm

Essential items for a new shooter

1) willingness to listen to experienced shooters

2) good awareness

3) sense of humour and friendly attitude

Everything else you can pick up along the way once you learn what you need

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 21 Jun 2017, 8:27 pm

Chronos wrote:Essential items for a new shooter

1) willingness to listen to experienced shooters

That's why I'm here to get advice from you guys and I appreciate all the help so far
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 23 Jun 2017, 3:17 pm

Archie wrote:...am I the only one who's beginning to think this is a wind-up?

That's what I'm thinking. The OP is a full of s**t.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by scaredyet » 24 Jun 2017, 12:08 pm

Why do you think I'm full of s**t Happyhunter? I'm curious to know. I'm happy to provide receipts and proof to make you happy. I already posted a link above. I don't think there's a problem with buying firearms and not shooting them.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jun 2017, 12:27 pm

Not a big deal. He will shoot them when he gets time I guess. Might be a boy scout, getting prepared. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 24 Jun 2017, 2:15 pm

I would have liked to start shooting but I only have one scope and that's fitted into my .223 I bought a scope for my .22 which the advice from my LGS and when I tried to mount it onto my firearm it didn't fit and looks out of place anyway. It was a 50 objective for a .22 you see being a newbie I didn't know at the time what to get and what to do with the rifle and I'm still learning now. I will shoot when the times right
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 24 Jun 2017, 4:42 pm

scaredyet wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/37p1k4pd18n5gc6/AABk8dNFOWSrOkw0ZUBPLREMa?dl=0

When I get the parts for my Adler I will upload them as well. As I said I'm a person that likes to modify/improve things. Yes I understand I should shoot first but this is me.

Nice collection Mate :)
even though i agree with most people here...Just shoot the damn things :P

everyone has there own methods,

welcome to the best sport there is and looking forward to seeing how u go down range :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hangfire » 24 Jun 2017, 9:25 pm

scaredyet wrote:I would have liked to start shooting but I only have one scope and that's fitted into my .223 I bought a scope for my .22 which the advice from my LGS and when I tried to mount it onto my firearm it didn't fit and looks out of place anyway. It was a 50 objective for a .22 you see being a newbie I didn't know at the time what to get and what to do with the rifle and I'm still learning now. I will shoot when the times right

Get out with that 22 stick a simple bushnell 3-9x40 or 4-12 x40 and put a few thousand down range.
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Zarrs » 19 Oct 2017, 10:44 am

I'm calling bulls**t, why would you spend thousands of dollars on items you don't use? I think that you are either a nut job or full of s**t.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Oct 2017, 11:34 am

Zarrs wrote:I'm calling bulls**t, why would you spend thousands of dollars on items you don't use? I think that you are either a nut job or full of s**t.

Hmmmm...digging up an old thread simply to call the OP a liar - don't have better things to do?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 19 Oct 2017, 11:52 am

bladeracer wrote:
Zarrs wrote:I'm calling bulls**t, why would you spend thousands of dollars on items you don't use? I think that you are either a nut job or full of s**t.

Hmmmm...digging up an old thread simply to call the OP a liar - don't have better things to do?

Exactly!! :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 19 Oct 2017, 1:04 pm

Essential items

Gun
Ammo
At least one functioning eye
A functional trigger finger.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 19 Oct 2017, 1:43 pm

I didnt know it was an old one it came up on the front page for me!
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Oct 2017, 1:46 pm

Usually a good idea to check the date on the post.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment