Essential items for a new shooter?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Essential items for a new shooter?

Post by scaredyet » 11 Jun 2017, 1:57 pm

Hi guys.

I would like to start off by thanking​ all the forum members for being so helpful and taking the time to answer my questions as I start this very interesting and enjoyable and some what expensive journey into shooting.

As you know with every sport/hobby you have to have the basic needs to get you started. For example if you want to play soccer you need boots, shin pads etc then you can get the Christiano Ronaldo haircut for the wank factor. So with shooting what are the must have items and what will fall under wankerness?

I made sure to get a 14 gun safe before I even had my first firearm.

I have a solid rod
G96
Gunslick foam bore cleaner
Jag
Brass brush tip
Safety glasses
Ear protection
Rifle case
Gun Sock
Gun vice
Scope level
Bore sight
Cleaning patches
Trigger pull measure
Torque screwdriver
Dehumidifier for safe
Temperature/humidity gauge for safe
Range finder
Harris bipod
Shooting bag

Could you please advise me of anything else I need. Also if I go to the range what do I take and if I go onto the farm what should I take? Range bag? Knives?

Just to add. I have four firearms and have not fired a single bullet.

Cheers
Last edited by scaredyet on 15 Jun 2017, 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Essential items for a new shooter?

Post by MalleeFarmer » 11 Jun 2017, 2:15 pm

Sounds like the only thing left to get is trigger time. Farm if your hunting take some water for hand washing and some liquid soap (nice to have clean hands after skinning an animal) definitely take a knife. Some thin rope a small plastic tarp if you're field dressing could be handy.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 11 Jun 2017, 2:18 pm

scaredyet wrote:Hi guys.

I would like to start off by thanking​ all the forum members for being so helpful and taking the time to answer my questions as I start this very interesting and enjoyable and some what expensive journey into shooting.

As you know with every sport/hobby you have to have the basic needs to get you started. For example if you want to play soccer you need boots, shin pads etc then you can get the Christiano Ronaldo haircut for the wank factor. So with shooting what are the must have items and what will fall under wankerness?

I made sure to get a 14 gun safe before I even had my first firearm.

I have a solid rod
G96
Gunslick foam bore cleaner
Jag
Brass brush tip
Safety glasses
Ear protection
Rifle case
Gun vice
Scope level
Bore sight
Cleaning patches
Trigger pull measure
Torque screwdriver
Dehumidifier for safe
Temperature/humidity gauge

Could you please advise me of anything else I need. Also if I go to the range what do I take and if I go onto the farm what should I take? Range bag? Knives?

Just to add. I have four firearms and have not fired a single bullet.

Cheers

First a kick in the butt for owning four rifles and not shooting them yet!! :drinks:
Then maybe a couple of bags for shooting off at the range :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by scaredyet » 11 Jun 2017, 3:24 pm

I'm a person that loves to buy things and look at it and am very fussy when it comes to keeping things clean which is why I probably haven't fired anything yet. I like to buy something then modify or improve it before using it
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 11 Jun 2017, 3:52 pm

For hunting on the farm, I tend to pack some disposable surgical gloves as well. It's not necessary but it does make make things a bit cleaner and they don't weigh anything.

When you buy ammunition don't forget to get a few different brands for each calibre. You'll need to find out what works in what rifle.

Out of curiousity... what's the plan if you get to the range and find out you don't like shooting?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dexer » 11 Jun 2017, 4:02 pm

What are the four rifles you have? Jealous...

Seems you have a nice collections of items for any new shooter.
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 11 Jun 2017, 4:21 pm

Dexer wrote:What are the four rifles you have?

CZ 452 Special .22LR
CZ 452 Varmint ( I love the thick barrel and Turkish walnut stock) .22LR
Tikka T3x CTR .308
Howa Mini Action Varmint .223

I just need a 20" and 28" shotgun and that's it for me
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jun 2017, 4:43 pm

scaredyet wrote:I just need a 20" and 28" shotgun and that's it for me

Only until you buy your first milsurp, then you'll be hooked ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by albat » 11 Jun 2017, 5:09 pm

I did notice one essential item missing off the list scaredyet and nothing goes bang without it :idea: ?
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by scaredyet » 11 Jun 2017, 6:15 pm

I actually forgot to add the range finder which is an Aldi one.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Jun 2017, 6:45 pm

"actually forgot to add the range finder which is an Aldi one."

I stuffed up there. Didn't get one.

To help you out a bit, more info would be good. What's the plan, manly target or hunting, and if hunting what?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Browning » 11 Jun 2017, 6:56 pm

To be honest, you really need to start getting out and using your gear mate before you do any more modifying.
I spend 1% of my trigger time at a range and the other 99% out west. The only way you'll work out what suits you is to get out there and get into it. Every trip you'll no doubt realize you've brought some uselsss piece of kit that you've dragged around the countryside and also need to get something new that you forgot.
If you're heading west, you've just gotta get used to things getting scratched/bumped and dirty. The sooner you get over that OCD element, the more fun you'll have using your gear for what it's meant to do.....
I find the old adage of KISS (keep it simple stupid) works a treat...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 11 Jun 2017, 7:01 pm

For the 223 and 308, my first port of call for ammo testing would be the OSA stuff. So many reports of it shooting very well in a variety of guns.
For the 22lr's, buy 2 boxes of as many different rounds as you can find.

Other than that the only other essential item i can see you might want is practice shooting those rifles! ;)
When i got my first 22lr (hadn't shot a gun for about 17 years and not regularly for about 25) I put 2000 rounds through it in 2 weeks! :lol:

Get yourself a nice folding knife and a fine eze-lap to keep an edge on it for when you start shooting bunnies.

Most important, get some rounds down range and tune the rifle (and yourself) so you can hit what you are aim for properly).
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by albat » 11 Jun 2017, 7:08 pm

+1 what browning mentioned your gleaming new gear is going to get banged up in the bush no matter how hard you try to stop it, just part of hunting , but dont let that stop you , no use getting old and wishing you got out more
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Browning » 11 Jun 2017, 7:24 pm

albat wrote:+1 what browning mentioned your gleaming new gear is going to get banged up in the bush no matter how hard you try to stop it, just part of hunting , but dont let that stop you , no use getting old and wishing you got out more

For example, that's why I don't bother with tacticool.... All the properties I go to in western Qld, everything comes home covered in dust and tacticool shrouds and chassis would be a deadset nightmare to clean..... They'd be heavier, have more edges when strapped on your back and I hate cleaning when I get home... quick scrub and clean with a brush and some oil and they're packed away asap.
You'll also go through a few diff scopes I reckon working out what suits you best.
Then there's camping gear, cooking gear, knives, fridges, cars, clothes, spotlights, night vision, thermal........ where do u stop?? Lol
Everything u use will change over the coming years as you work out what suits your trigger time....
Out of curiosity, what part of oz do U plan on going bush?
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 11 Jun 2017, 7:32 pm

scaredyet wrote:I just need a 20" and 28" shotgun and that's it for me

Totally. And that's it. Bwahahahahha. Oh f***, that's funny.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 11 Jun 2017, 7:46 pm

Just go shoot s**t... How can you improve anything, if you haven't field tested it?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jun 2017, 8:56 pm

A bipod and some shooting bags would come in handy.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Archie » 11 Jun 2017, 9:49 pm

scaredyet wrote:
Dexer wrote:What are the four rifles you have?

CZ 452 Special .22LR
CZ 452 Varmint ( I love the thick barrel and Turkish walnut stock) .22LR
Tikka T3x CTR .308
Howa Mini Action Varmint .223

I just need a 20" and 28" shotgun and that's it for me

All very nice bits of kit. But please send some bullets downrange. And when you do, start with the .22s, then the .223 and after you've got good with that, the .308. What most people do, if they are adult-onset-shooters, ie they didn't grow up learning on dads .303, is they buy stuff progressively as they get used to it, and generally move up in calibres over time. The alternative is just painful. I was next to a guy few months back at the range, he'd bought his first rifle, some guy had sold him a .30-06, lovely rifle and he was having zero fun and it was clearly scaring him a bit and he was regretting the whole thing. Totally unnecessary if he'd started with something more suitable. I reckon for your first range trip just take the .22s, leave the other rifles at home and get yourself comfortable with the gear, the safety rules and the whole thing, and burn a bucket of ammo.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dexer » 12 Jun 2017, 12:02 am

Probably not bad advice if you've not been around firearms much. Going from a .22 to a 30 cal can provide quite the shock(wave).
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Jun 2017, 3:42 am

Okay, scaredyet:

Let me preface my comments/suggestions by pointing out I'm an American, where we have what I'll call a more reasonable environment towards guns and shooting in general. Now I belong to and shoot at a local gun club range, where we are pretty much on our own when it comes to targets and target holders, so I always take those along with me. Thankfully my range has the space to allow for more than paper punching, so reactive targets, which can include steel, polymer, metal cans and water filled plastic bottles, are a nice break, just be sure to clean up afterwards.

Gear wise I always take a multi-tool with me, target hole market/patches, duct tape (you'll be surprised how handy that stuff is), a bottle of water and a role of toilet paper. A spotting scope is nice, especially if your shooting at a target a hundred or more yards (meters) away. That 40X, 60X or more scope sure beats the trek down range after a few shots to see how you're hitting.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Jun 2017, 10:34 am

Here is my current list :)

[x] breach flags
[x] Gloves
[x] rear rest
[x] Sling
[x] Camo gear
[x] Range bag + range mat (2 in one)
[ ] .308 (deposit paid)
[x] 8 gun safe
[ ] Bipod (deposit paid)
[x] Safe dehumidifier
[ ] Muzzle brake (deposit paid)
[ ] Rifle hard case (deposit paid)
[ ] Scope 50mm Objective ?-16/50
[x] Gun sock for Tikka
[ ] .22 LR rifle + scope (2nd hand)
[x] Pickitinny rail spirit level
[ ] Ammo
[ ] Ammo box + lock
[x] Gun sock for .22
[ ] Gun oil
[ ] Cleaner - degreaser liquid
[ ] .308 fixed rod with rotating/free handle
[x] .308 bronze brush, mops & Jag
[ ] 22 fixed rod with rotating/free handle
[x] 22LR bronze brush, mops & Jag
[x] Bore guides
[x] Cleaning patches
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 15 Jun 2017, 10:46 am

Omfg. Guns, ammo, cleaning products. That's it. Rest is purchased as required rather than in anticipation.

...did I mention ammo? Seriously, lots of ammo. And start thinking reloading. Everything else is bulls**t.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jun 2017, 10:51 am

Oldbloke wrote:"actually forgot to add the range finder which is an Aldi one."

I stuffed up there. Didn't get one.

To help you out a bit, more info would be good. What's the plan, manly target or hunting, and if hunting what?

Again. It would help a lot if we knew your intended purpose?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Jun 2017, 10:52 am

I like to have stuff as I need it :) don't want to do 10 trips to the store.

Also I've been looking online and in stores for the last few months so they've all been bargains as I just wait for the right thing to come up.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 15 Jun 2017, 1:56 pm

I want to use the CZ 452 Varmint strictly for the range, I bought all after market products to do it up, even though I don't even know how it shoots. CZ 452 Special will be for plinking, rabbits and I have targets set up at 100mtr on the farm. The tikka T3x and the Howa .223 was bought just because I wanted to have something that covers all bases even though I don't even know what I'll shoot. I want a 28" shotgun for some clay targets and a 20" for just shooting things around the farm, again I don't know what I'll shoot.

Bigfellascott is from the same area as I am and no doubt has more experience in shooting and will know what game is out our way.

Mainly just plinking guys but I like the fact that I can have a firearm just to play around with
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 15 Jun 2017, 2:46 pm

bentaz wrote:Take off your shopping skirt, put on your big boy pants and just go shoot some stuff!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Browning » 15 Jun 2017, 7:18 pm

bentaz wrote:Take off your shopping skirt, put on your big boy pants and just go shoot some stuff!

Could not have said it better myself! Stop buying s**t and go and use it! Don't be one of those guys, "all the gear and no idea"

Start using it NOW and the you'll discover pretty quickly what you do/don't need. Bet you realize quickly that firearm ownership is easier when you keep it simple...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Archie » 15 Jun 2017, 9:12 pm

Browning wrote:

Could not have said it better myself! Stop buying s**t and go and use it! Don't be one of those guys, "all the gear and no idea"

Start using it NOW and the you'll discover pretty quickly what you do/don't need. Bet you realize quickly that firearm ownership is easier when you keep it simple...

First time I went to a range I had one rifle, three duffel bags full of kit and I couldn't hit a damn thing. Whereas after a lot of practice and much ammo - well, I still can't hit a damn thing but at least I've got the ratio to four rifles and one duffel bag. Progress!
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jun 2017, 9:17 am

scaredyet wrote:I want to use the CZ 452 Varmint strictly for the range, I bought all after market products to do it up, even though I don't even know how it shoots. CZ 452 Special will be for plinking, rabbits and I have targets set up at 100mtr on the farm. The tikka T3x and the Howa .223 was bought just because I wanted to have something that covers all bases even though I don't even know what I'll shoot. I want a 28" shotgun for some clay targets and a 20" for just shooting things around the farm, again I don't know what I'll shoot.

Bigfellascott is from the same area as I am and no doubt has more experience in shooting and will know what game is out our way.

Mainly just plinking guys but I like the fact that I can have a firearm just to play around with

You won't need 2 diff shotgun barrel lengths, the 28" will do everything you need it too :thumbsup: and the other cals you have will be fine for everything out this way and as someone said I wouldn't be buying too much stuff just yet, get used to shooting first and as you get into it more you will be better able to work out what you really do and don't need. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment