Home made Safes??

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Home made Safes??

Post by Gwion » 02 Jul 2017, 11:04 pm

I have considered the concrete idea but haven't got my head around how to do the door, hinge and locking mechanism satisfactorily.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 02 Jul 2017, 11:33 pm

Gwion wrote:I have considered the concrete idea but haven't got my head around how to do the door, hinge and locking mechanism satisfactorily.

When I get some time away from the slave driver :lol: :crazy: , I will knock up some 3d cad design's for the safe, along with some ideas on the locking mechanisms / door and send them to you for you to consider... :friends:

I have some ideas that may be of assistance in your design :thumbsup:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jul 2017, 1:09 am

Gwion wrote:I have considered the concrete idea but haven't got my head around how to do the door, hinge and locking mechanism satisfactorily.

Concrete is not a bad idea, as long as you never need to move it.
I would probably make a door frame and the door out of 100mm angle iron.
Build the locking system inside a steel box welded to the reo and then pour the whole door full of concrete. A sheet of steel on the outside instead of formwork could be good. Let them think they're all sorted for cutting through steel...and then find four-inches of concrete - they might decide to knock off at that point :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 03 Jul 2017, 7:38 am

I agree that they are not to hard to make. When I was out of work in WA I made a few for the local gun club out of steel pylons. You needed a couple of good blokes to put them in place!
I say if you have the ability and the time go for it! As to cost of a safe, that bit of water called Bass Straight is an expensive bit of water. If it comes on a boat.. Expect to pay a bit extra!

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Jul 2017, 7:37 pm

100_4204.JPG
100_4204.JPG (664.38 KiB) Viewed 11906 times
100_1976.JPG
100_1976.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 11906 times
100_1975.JPG
100_1975.JPG (161.81 KiB) Viewed 11906 times
This isn't the 1st time I've put some of these pics up, but Hey, it saves time for other people searching.
I built this in 2007, and it served me well till I bought an American safe and bolted the two together from the insides.

And Gwion,, if you want to make your own,, here's an idea.

Use 100 x 100 x 6 or 8 mm angle iron.
Make three separate sides (a bit like door frames) and two separate top and bottoms.
Weld 6 or 8 mm plate across the frames.
Weld appropriately positioned bolts (in countersunk holes) into the sides and top, and then grind the surface flat so there is no visible sign of bolt heads.

By using other angle iron pieces, you can then bolt it all together from the inside. :thumbsup:

That way you can make each individual "wall" as heavy as you can manage,, and when its all together,, its certainly not able to be picked up.

Then in years to come if you shift,,,, simply unbolt it and move it piece by piece.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 03 Jul 2017, 9:16 pm

Interesting concept, DJ!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 04 Jul 2017, 12:50 am

I like that idea DJ :thumbsup:

Nice safe build too :thumbsup: BTW. lock looks like an analogue keypad Lockwood ?.. They are quite a good lock and can be re-coded.

Also, who the hell painted the safe door ?.. And feel free to send them by to do some work for me..... :D Impressive work !

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by darwindingo » 04 Jul 2017, 1:26 am

Ahh... Finally found it Noisy (I previously had it bookmarked and accidentally deleted it, doh...!)....

Link to Noisy's revolving gun safe...v

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=294&p=2381#p2381

Well worth a look for anyone that's looking to build their own safe.. :thumbsup:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Daddybang » 04 Jul 2017, 6:53 am

When ya make ya own safe do you need to get it rated or certified by anyone?. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 04 Jul 2017, 8:33 am

You guys obviously have skills in metal fabrication well beyond anything i am ever likely to achieve! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jul 2017, 1:39 pm

Daddybang wrote:When ya make ya own safe do you need to get it rated or certified by anyone?. :thumbsup:

Can't say definatively ,,,,, but one would presume that as long as the "minimum" requirements are met, it would pass any inspection.

But hell,,,,,,,,, when your having fun, why stop at "minimum" ? :unknown:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jul 2017, 1:52 pm

darwindingo wrote:I like that idea DJ :thumbsup:

Nice safe build too :thumbsup: BTW. lock looks like an analogue keypad Lockwood ?.. They are quite a good lock and can be re-coded.

Also, who the hell painted the safe door ?.. And feel free to send them by to do some work for me..... :D Impressive work !

If you look closely at the last pic,, just to the right of the keypad latch lever (approx 3") you will see a key hole in the smaller vertical branch.
That is a manual "safe" keylock, that also locks the workings of the other lock.

Sort of a backup to the backup.

As for the artwork, I would love to be able to lay claim to doing that,,,,, but no it wasn't me.
It was done by my Tattoo man, "Bags" in Sth Aust.

All I did was show him the pic of the big red that appeared on the cover of an issue of Sporting Shooter magazine, and he painted it as you see it.

I always ask people that are looking at it if they can see the feral pig in it, can you ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2017, 2:00 pm

Daddybang wrote:When ya make ya own safe do you need to get it rated or certified by anyone?. :thumbsup:

I don't know about other states, but in Victoria I'm not aware of any rating system requirement.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 04 Jul 2017, 4:14 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

Can't say definatively ,,,,, but one would presume that as long as the "minimum" requirements are met, it would pass any inspection.

But hell,,,,,,,,, when your having fun, why stop at "minimum" ? :unknown:

:lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2017, 5:33 pm

There is an Australian Standard. I have never read it though.
Local cop inspecting would just have a look and day yes or no. He would be clueless.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2017, 5:46 pm

Oldbloke wrote:There is an Australian Standard. I have never read it though.
Local cop inspecting would just have a look and day yes or no. He would be clueless.

I've never seen any reference to firearm security needing to comply with any AS.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 04 Jul 2017, 7:07 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I've never seen any reference to firearm security needing to comply with any AS.

At least in NSW, it doesn't even need to be made of steel. Hard wood will do as long as the rest of the criteria are met.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 05 Jul 2017, 12:03 pm

Archie wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

At least in NSW, it doesn't even need to be made of steel. Hard wood will do as long as the rest of the criteria are met.

Tas is just in the process of changing it's regs. Steel, min 2mm walls 3mm door for A/B.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 05 Jul 2017, 12:16 pm

New SA legislation removing wooden storage containers and thin gauge steel as an option have just come in. There's a 12 month phase out period to give people time to comply
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment