Remington 700 stock upgrade

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Remington 700 stock upgrade

Post by matt_ohara » 30 Jun 2017, 5:43 pm

Hey guys new to the forum and to the world of guns(about 7 months in) , bought myself a remington 700 in 22-250 and love it. Only thing I'm not 100% on is the stock. I've shot a mates tikka and it was in a chassis with pistol grip and was alot more comfortable.

Been looking into the Mdt lss as it is about the right price range, are there any others in that price range or anyone selling a secondhand one?

Will be used for hunting when I find myself a property or get my r licence and a few people to shoot with.
matt_ohara
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Remington 700 stock upgrade

Post by Gwion » 02 Jul 2017, 10:06 am

Matt, Remington 700s are quite possibly the most catered to rifle platform when it comes to aftermarket parts and accessories. Try looking on MidwayUSA & Brownells sites to see what is around. You may not be able to buy them from the States but after you find something that looks good you can then search for it in Australia by name.

Personally not convinced about a chassis for hunting but to each their own.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 02 Jul 2017, 10:16 am

Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Supaduke » 02 Jul 2017, 11:47 am

Yeah , have to agree with gwion. A chassis is not really suitable for hunting. They are designed to be shot off a bench or from the prone position, not off hand. But as mentioned, a rem 700 is the standard in bolt actions as far as customisation. Have a look online, there are a ton of options to suit every budget.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2017, 1:47 pm

matt_ohara wrote:Hey guys new to the forum and to the world of guns(about 7 months in) , bought myself a remington 700 in 22-250 and love it. Only thing I'm not 100% on is the stock. I've shot a mates tikka and it was in a chassis with pistol grip and was alot more comfortable.

Been looking into the Mdt lss as it is about the right price range, are there any others in that price range or anyone selling a secondhand one?

Will be used for hunting when I find myself a property or get my r licence and a few people to shoot with.

MDT LSS is the cheapest chassis I'm aware of anywhere. And amazing value.
I have zero problems hunting with chassis and can't see why anybody would have, they're ergonomically way ahead of a conventional rifle stock, and aluminium is far more practical than wood for a firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 02 Jul 2017, 2:37 pm

If you find it comfortable to shoot offhand, do it. No hard and fast rules. Depends on the chassis too. I have had a go with the MDT tac21, nice chassis, but a bit nose heavy, didn't strike me as being practical for off hand shooting. The LSS looks much lighter. The RPR I shot seemed the same, front heavy, nice off a bench.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2017, 3:01 pm

Supaduke wrote:If you find it comfortable to shoot offhand, do it. No hard and fast rules. Depends on the chassis too. I have had a go with the MDT tac21, nice chassis, but a bit nose heavy, didn't strike me as being practical for off hand shooting. The LSS looks much lighter. The RPR I shot seemed the same, front heavy, nice off a bench.

I find a pistol grip far more comfortable to shoot from any position than a conventional rifle stock, it's also more comfortable and controllable to carry.
I think the LSS is one of the lightest Aluminium aftermarket chassis available. I would expect some of the factory chassis rifles could be significantly lighter. The MDT's use a base casting (billet perhaps but feels like cast to me), just machined to suit a variety of actions so it needs to be more robust than it could be if designed for specific actions.

The 20" .308 Ruger Precision Rifle is 4.44kg with 10rd mag but no scope.
My 22" RAR 7mm-08 with folding stock, 10rd mag, scope and bipod is 5.30kg.
But the RPR has a heavier barrel than my Standard RAR.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by matt_ohara » 05 Jul 2017, 6:32 pm

Awesome responses thanks guys, I've been having a look and I think I have decided to go with the mdt essay with the 12 inch front end. From what I have read the 12" isn't machined aluminium it's a light weight design but can't confirm this due to only hearing on a YouTube video.

Have talked to a couple of guys from the States and they have said they use it for hunting and love it. One gentleman said he bed the recoil lug to take up the "slack'" provided for thicker lugs but that's the only issue I have heard. So fingers crossed I'll have my new chassis withing the next month or so.
matt_ohara
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 06 Jul 2017, 6:15 am

boyds gun stocks are nice try there sight.
i have a clasic BDL in 270 floor plate and wood stock i put a ramline stock on it for years i just went back to the factory wood i have a hard time with the way it felt when sholdering it just didnt fill right.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 06 Jul 2017, 9:02 am

Very hard to get Boyds direct from the states now. Most of their stocks are above the $100 cap they place on direct export.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wrenchman » 06 Jul 2017, 9:57 am

i am sorry about that i didnt know
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by inspector » 02 Aug 2017, 11:31 am

Was good for a while as the stocks were $99 so right under the limit.

I think for some more expensive ones they would adjust the price to make it friendly to. e.g. instead of a $129 stock and $50 shipping it would be $99 for the stock and $0 shipping.

Same difference at the end of the day but you got your stock.

Just stupid that we can't order a bit of bloody wood from overseas because it happens to be shaped like a rifle stock.
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by mahna » 08 Aug 2017, 3:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:I have zero problems hunting with chassis and can't see why anybody would have, they're ergonomically way ahead of a conventional rifle stock, and aluminium is far more practical than wood for a firearm.

Walk about hunting or varminting?
.270 Savage Axis XP
Weaver 40/44 3-10x44
mahna
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Aug 2017, 3:55 pm

mahna wrote:Walk about hunting or varminting?

I always hunt on foot.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment