Transporting ammunition in NSW - Containers

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Transporting ammunition in NSW - Containers

Post by Yipikaye » 12 Jul 2017, 12:55 pm

Hi All,

I'm still a relatively new shooter and am about to graduate from club guns and get my own. I have my first PTAs and am collecting my first rifle and ammunition soon. I need to buy a lockable container to transport the ammunition in. Is there any you would recommend?

I've read the fact sheet for storing and purchasing ammunition on the FAR website: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... 6_V1.7.pdf

What is not clear to me is do I need a locked / hard container like the ones in the pictures or is it sufficient to store the ammunition in a locked range bag (with zips locked together like a suit case). The PDF does say "The ammunition container must be made of plastic, wood, metal or steel which is sturdy and not easily penetrated (ie cash box/ammunition box) and be fitted with a lock" so I'm guessing no. but a good locked range bag is as difficult to penetrate.

I'd like to be able to use the same container to transport approx. 50 rounds of 308 and a brick of 22LR if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Transporting ammunition in NSW - Containers

Post by Wylie27 » 12 Jul 2017, 1:48 pm

Hey there,

As you say. "Ammunition container must be made of plastic, wood, metal or steel which is not easily penetratable (ie. ammunition box or a cash box) "

Range bag is cloth.. which isn't suitable....

Edit:

I have both a ammo box and cash box which I use depending on what I am taking.

If it is the cash box I throw it in my range bag..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 12 Jul 2017, 1:54 pm

OK, so I just need something small and lockable that can go in a range bag. The small ones i've found on evil bay don't have locks.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 12 Jul 2017, 1:58 pm

I got my small one from fleabay, it holds about 8 boxes of .22 if you play tetris and it has an internal locking mechanism.

The way I am reading the commissioners interpretation of the act (which the fact sheet is) then as long as the ammo is in a locked. Container separate to the firearms, you are good to go.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 12 Jul 2017, 5:18 pm

not sure if these suit you, buts it what i use and there great...

http://search.supercheapauto.com.au/sea ... afe%20case
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 360noscope » 12 Jul 2017, 10:46 pm

Super cheap 2 different sizes plastic ammo box small one was $12 holds 80 243 + few hundred .22 more if your good at tetris
360noscope
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 12 Jul 2017, 11:12 pm

Thanks for the tip will check it out on the weekend. I also saw Bunnings has some lockable tool boxes with sections and foam. I'll check them too I maybe able to keep extra magazines and maybe the bolt in it.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 12 Jul 2017, 11:27 pm

go to bunnings about 20 $ cash box
https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandleford- ... x_p4223052 i have one just for pistol ammo
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jul 2017, 5:35 am

pomemax wrote:go to bunnings about 20 $ cash box
https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandleford- ... x_p4223052 i have one just for pistol ammo

That's all I use. Or a cheap tool box if I want something a bit bigger.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 13 Jul 2017, 5:59 am

Yipikaye wrote:Thanks for the tip will check it out on the weekend. I also saw Bunnings has some lockable tool boxes with sections and foam. I'll check them too I maybe able to keep extra magazines and maybe the bolt in it.

I might have misunderstood you, but you know that you can't keep the ammo and the mags together in the same tool box right?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 13 Jul 2017, 6:29 am

Yipikaye wrote:Thanks for the tip will check it out on the weekend. I also saw Bunnings has some lockable tool boxes with sections and foam. I'll check them too I maybe able to keep extra magazines and maybe the bolt in it.

Ahh no.. you can't do that.. ammunition must be locked separately to firearms. Magazine and bolts are part of a firearm.

Why would you take out the bolt for transport? You do not need too.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 13 Jul 2017, 7:19 am

Anzac range in Malabar doesn't allow you to transport the gun with the bolt in it. I didn't want it loose in my bag. I wasn't going to put it on the box at the same time as the ammo I just figured if they had different sizes they may have a good one for the bolt.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 13 Jul 2017, 7:26 am

Ahh yes forgot about that rule there.

Go on eBay and you can find a nice pouch for the bolt. I think hunters haven have them
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jul 2017, 7:33 am

Yipikaye wrote:OK, so I just need something small and lockable that can go in a range bag. The small ones i've found on evil bay don't have locks.

Well put one on it then! :crazy:

I have a plastic/metal tool box that didn't have a lock setup so I just put one on it. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment